racket recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by HowardTurtle, Sep 20, 2021.

1. HowardTurtle

HowardTurtle Regular Member

something slightly to medium head heavy, and stiff. box frame is prefered. basically something like the astrox 77 but more stiff. i also like long shafts. any recommendations? singles player but will also sometimes play doubles.

2. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

3. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

I must protest to the above! The Astrox 77 is not stiff! It is medium flex and it feels! I only have experience with yonex to take that into consideration.
    Consider the Astrox 88d (both the old or the new pro) or the 99 (this one should be quite difficult to use) - as they are more single focused and stiff.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

+1.

sorry friend but i think you are not on the level for feeling this slight different on racket (at least your sense). 77 sit on less demanding high end Astrox series where mostly used by pro lady. HH but not as HH of other high end Astrox series, & the least stiff than other astrox series.
    Doesnt mean 77 is the worst of all astrox but it serve best for what it mean to be by its spec.

5. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

I do not disagree with you, it is maybe I prefer the feeling of the 77 more than the 88.
    I just think that the 77 is not exactly "medium" stiff, more towards the stiff side.
    77 is actually not as good as 88, I would agree but for people needing bigger sweetspot, surely a go-to racket.
    Also yeah, I don't own much rackets, so I am probably not yet in the level to feel the slight differences in the rackets.
    thanks 4 clarifying anyways :)

Budi likes this.
  6. HowardTurtle

whats the difference between 88d pro and 88d? and is the 99 good for doubles? i mostly play singles but i play doubles too. Also, is 100zx and zz good?

7. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

The main difference between 88d and 88d pro is the increased handle length and decreased shaft length, pro's also have new technologies and fully recessed frames.
    99 is good for singles but if you are going to buy it, I suggest u try it out b4 hand bcz I did not like the 99 too much, its just too head heavy and feels little bit slow to move around for quick drives.
    100zz and zx are good if you can consistently hit the sweetspot and have good technique, otherwise opt for a little bit more forgiving racket like the Astrox 77 (which I recommend if you still need to consistently hit the sweetspot)
    Hope this helps :)

8. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

Difference between 88D and 99 (not first batch) is negligible, pick whichever you can get cheaper. 88D Pro plays slightly lighter and feels more aerodynamic than the 88D/99.

ZZ has a short shaft and it is the stiffest of all so it is very difficult to play with, the redesigned frame shifted the sweet spot lower, it takes time to adapt to it and especially so if you often switch between rackets. The ZX is more user-friendly with a longer and more flexible shaft albeit being head-heavier than the ZZ.

9. Mikkel Press-Stevn

The 100zx seems to be a waste of money - it would compare to the new 100zz tour just more expensive.
    I have not heard that the 99 would be good for doubles - but in the end that really depends on your preferences. The 99 should be rarther hard and very unforgiving to play with. Must reviews and recommendation I have found says that you should consider the 88D or 100zz instead.
    I have not tried the original 88D, as I have an 88S and a 88D Pro - and I would say the 88S is the easier one to play with - but there is more power in the 88D Pro.

The 88D Pro is a bit less head heavy in feel then the original 88D, and flexes a bit differently - which should make it more user friendly.
    So far I have only had mine 88D pro for 2 hours of playing time - and I am not really convinced as of yet if it suits me more than the original 88S - I need more playing time with it.

The 77 is a fine racket - but it is NOT a stiff racket. It is a medium racket and it is substantially slower then all the above rackets. I really disliked playing with it, as I felt the head was also behind the racket.

But based on OGs original post I would say; take a 88D Pro out for a spin - that would in my opinion be your best bet.

10. HowardTurtle

How does the 100zz compares to 88d pro? Is the 100zz more headlight and stiffer? Also, how much shorter is the 100zz shaft?

11. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Keep in mind that I have not played with the 100zz, so I can't say how that one plays.
    But the 100zz should be stiffer and smaller in the head then the 88D pro. The 88D pro have a longer handle and therefore shorter shaft. The shaft is around 5 mm shorter then on a original 88s

12. random123xxxx

random123xxxx Regular Member

hi I own astrox 88d, astrox 88d pro, astrox 100zz and astrox 88s, all in 3u

as a 17 year old who plays competitively, I can say that

head size: 88d pro > 88d=88s > 100zz
    head heaviness: 88d > 88d pro > 100zz > 88s
    stiffness: 100zz > 88d > 88s > 88d pro
    power: 88d > 88d pro > 100zz > 88s
    speed: 88s > 88d pro > 100zz > 88d

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

#12 random123xxxx, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    boby and Mikkel Press-Stevn like this.
  13. blitz920

blitz920 New Member

Interesting to see you rate that 88DPro is more HH than 100ZZ, whereas it is marketed otherwise by Yonex. Is this when attacking, where you can feel that your smashes are heavier?

I mainly use BS12, but I use AX77 for singles, and found that 100ZZ hard to handle in all aspects.