TotalEnergies BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2021 : Quarterfinal-Final (1-3 October)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

LinDan opened his shirt, yes its OG Gold 2012, so did ChenLong in 2016. Axelsen too I believe?
    AA too when he beat top KM in IM without coach? Well, its actually Final and he won something.
    AstrupRasmussen i think opened their shirt when they won their 1st SS in CO.
    This is another level, much more serious than showboating imo.
    What did LZJ win though? To me, its just a normal match.

I felt TeamEvent is still way smaller than any individual SS even.

I wouldnt mind if he opened his shirt if he wins his 1st SS Final or so. It looked a better stage than this. Ugh

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

for sure Ginting didnt take out his shirt that time.

3. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

i think those who said LZJ arrogant probably fired up by his new hair, lol, it does look like a delinquent esp in my country here, haha

linhrom likes this.
  4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

DAE beating a World No.1 in World Team Event means absolutely nothing?!

5. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

in World Team Event, win a battle, lose a war = meaningless

this is how we call it "Team Event"

If you want to demonstrate, show it in individual event.

Even Heo Kwang Hee when beating Momota in Olympic, he didn't take off his T-shirt

6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@kurako

It shouldn't be a case 'if' he can pick up mentally. This is a rare opportunity that he has to correct his mental / thinking process.

Normally after losing in a tourney you go home. The rare opportunity is that he will get to play a final despite losing. Basically the same thing that LZJ did - he lost and came back for revenge.

Momota should use the frustration of losing and come to the final angry, motivated, ruthless, fearless and without any sort of hesitation. He should come for blood. And he has an awesome oppononent to test his limit. He should throw himself at SYQ (like the one time he did against ASG).

That's the kind of thing I expect from him today. If he will still be hesitant or scared or not confident then it's better that Nishimoto plays.

He knows he has the physique now. It is just a matter of wanting it and pushing for it and giving 200% on each shuttle.

7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I think Momota will play today.

People will %$%$%$*&% to Momota if he lose tonight.

But without Fukushima/Hirota and Kam/Son/Endo and Okuhara, silver medals can acceptable

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The perfect and ideal final for 17th Sudirman Cup as top two seeds enter grand finale...

China beat familiar foe in major team event Korea who surprised the Great Wall team twice in Sudirman Cup final (2003 & 2017). Their smart strategy to field Wang Yilu in two disciplines worked well yesterday. World #2 pair fulfill the expectation to deliver opening point for their team, Seo/Shin did their best in terms of defense and counter attack to trouble more fancied opponent but still it's not good enough to avoid them from defeat. Shi Yuqi almost screwed up when he lost opening plot in handsome lead 14-9 then lack of focus and let the resilient Heo KW catching up and even grabbed first set, thanks to the Chinese mentally down. Fortunately, Shi regroups his confidence to play what he is supposed to be. Chen Yufei involved in gruelling battle to overcome Korean rising star An Se Young, had slow start Chen displays her real colour in next two games and securing final spot for China.

Japan triumphant begins with their MD pair excellent feat, Hoki/Kobayashi really on fire this time to stun Tokyo OG bronze medalists, solid play by the Japanese duo, more aggressive to pressure Chia/Soh who can't develop their own game plan. It's like exhibition match, totally lopsided and different class in terms of technical skill for WS contest. Next, the much awaited clash of this tie..
    Lee Zii Jia proves his victory over Kento Momota isn't a fluke as the Malaysian ace replicated his blistering form last night although had bad start, 4-10 then 9-13. The turning point arrives when Lee catched up slowly and penetrated Momota defense with his sharp attacking shots, the Japanese confidence seems waned to implement his own tactic and quite being dictated by his tall rival in second game. New combination Matsutomo/Matsumoto are too strong for MAS youngsters and present the winning point for Japan.

An SY and Lee ZJ as well have displayed their mental toughness, it's not easy to play good and normal when their team trailing behind, 0-2.

CHN-JPN
    Will China extend their supremacy or new champion born in Vantaa? Interesting to wait as both teams have equal chance to lift the magnificent trophy.

#428 CLELY, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I understand where you are coming from, but it is difficult to erase the last eighteen months in one week. Give him a bit more time.

Nah, ... that would have even more dire consequences than a hesitant, scared, under-confident Momota.

Unfortunate as it may be, Nishimoto, I believe, is finished. He miscalculated badly when he left Tonami, and there is no turning the clock back. Japan's undisputed MS No. 2 is Tsuneyama, and he will be joining Japan in the Thomas Cup. I do not know why Nishimoto was selected for the Sudirman Cup rather than Tsuneyama, but both PJB and the NBA's Zeniya Kinji made it clear that winning the Sudirman Cup this year was unrealistic; it is being regarded more as a practice arena to ease Team Japan into international competition again. As I mentioned in one of the Japan threads, the stage where Japan intends to take revenge for the Olympics is, fittingly, going to be Tokyo, i.e., the 2022 World Championships.

LenaicM and Quentin11 like this.
  10. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Haven't seen the match yet. Will watch it today. Replying specifically to the point that "his post match celebration is uncalled for just coz his team was losing the tie or it was just a normal match and not a major final". Every player is different, every player will act differently to the win. Maybe LZJ win against Momota meant a lot to him coz he has lost to Momota many times (1-7 before yesterday match). @terrynguyen121988 just coz it's a team event, doesn't mean an individual player will not celebrate considering he/she has done his/her part. That is their "I've done it moment" which gives them much needed confidence in future.

It's always the same type of talk with you, Yoji. Sudirman Cup, TUC <<< Any Tom, **** and Harry Super Series event. Again, for you LZJ won a normal match but if you ask him, that'll be a different answer.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

That's up to the player himself though, whether he think it is important or not. Momota celebrates like crazy too after beating LZJ. I'm not sure how you can determine that "it's meaningless match" and the winner should not celebrate for himself.

nokh88 and LenaicM like this.
  12. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

Lmao for people saying Lee is arrogant probably haven't seen Lin Dan or Cristiano Ronaldo.

nokh88 and rajat_remar like this.
  13. cococo

cococo Regular Member

Malaysia achieved many things already,even if they didn't win. They only target to reach the quarterfinal and they made the semifinal. Their XD pair managed to upset two top pairs from England and Indonesia. Lee Zii Jia avenged his loss. The backup players played very well against Egypt. Pearly and Thinaah also gave a good fight to the top players. Aaron and Wooi Yik won so many crucial matches. Kisona,she put up a fight against Indonesia too. So I think it's okay for Lee Zii Jia to celebrate,it's celebrating progress and they are just going to get better and better.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

#433 cococo, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Gigabit likes this.
  14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

LZJ - oh yeaaa... I've beaten world #1

KM - Boy, I'm just reserving my energy for tmw. Give you 1 point tonight rather than 3-0 beating

Hope everyone will be happy
    Finals in 6 more hrs

Quentin11 likes this.
  15. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

The match between SYQ and KM should be interesting. Shi Yuqi seems to have regained some form, I thought he played pretty well against Axelsen despite losing, and his display against an in-form Heo Kwang Hee proves that.

By the way, during the interval between game 1 and 2, Hendrawan told Lee to smash more as KM has left many space uncovered and he started bombarding KM with smashes from the get go.

skhai91 likes this.
  16. Kingkat

Kingkat Regular Member

I completely agree, you do have to be pretty idiotic to think that a professional player cannot have confidence in himself and has to act like an unemotional robot 24/7.

He won against the world number 1, a player that has given him so much trouble, a player who he only beat once before and people called it a fluke. In a must win situation with the odds stacked against LZJ and Malaysia as a whole, he took the challenge and fought without fear instead of becoming passive like he used to do.

Not only did he win, he swept Momota (who has been very impressive this tournament) off the court in STRAIGHT SETS. Would you not feel a little good about yourself if you were in the same position? Stop with the slander and grow up.

nokh88, SnowWhite and LenaicM like this.
  17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

the only ending i know is he won nothing.

18. Kingkat

Kingkat Regular Member

Can you imagine, these people sitting comfortably in their chairs at home calling these player's achievements "meaningless"? When the entire country is watching on television at 2AM and cheering for you, and it's somehow completely worthless. Momota himself gave it his 200% effort, but apparently it's for nothing. Some of you really need to go outside and touch some grass for a change.

CIA-99, Justin L, nokh88 and 5 others like this.
  19. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

We can debate day and night on arrogance vs confidence. But at the end of the day it depends on the tolerance level of each person. To me he was 100% arrogant and disrespectful. However, that doesn't mean I am taking away what he has achieved. But it would have been good to show a little more respect to your opponent. But if he is that way there is nothing we can do about it. I'm just a dude behind a keyboard and I have an opinion. You don't have to agree with me.

It's a similar case with Marin - damn great player but the screams bothers me and I find it disrespectful although I know she needs it to play her best. It could be the same for LZJ. But I do not have to agree with their ways. There are other players who can remain respectful but are the best.

skhai91 likes this.
  20. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

It’s gonna be juicy, SYQ vs KM… revenge for KM after Sudirman cup 2019 defeat ? Or comeback for SYQ after a poor performance here