Most overrated player according to you

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 12, 2021.

1. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

do you get "unstable between 6 to 9,5"? It's up up down down

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I get the 6. I think I will tone the 9.5 down to 8.

It's more 6-8.

He beat Momota one time. I don't recall his other top wins.

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

There is a point here. Yes. Christie was rated high by his home country. Even I watched a korean show where Christie was called for Lunch by The great Lee Yong Dae. And while he was waiting for Christie , he was so nervous and he was talking to his assistant/Manager about Christie's achievements(!?) and "good looks" etc. I was like ' WTF Lee Yong Dae". Have you called even a right guy for lunch?.

James blake likes this.
  4. warujati

warujati New Member

kento momota is overrated
    what medal he got in olympic and asian games?
    none?

5. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

I am going to unintentionally ruffle a lot of feathers but merely exercising my freedom speech and expecting a big backlash.

This is a controversial one but I will label Taufik Hidayat as the most overrated player to be considered or put on the equal status as Peter Gade, Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei.

To me, there are only three, not four during that era.

If you consider Taufik to be on the equal level as them simply because he won these four titles :

2x Asian Games
    1x Olympic
    1x World Champ 2005

Then this is not a very good way to rate a player.

First - Talent
    let's talk about talent factor. Among the four, he is the most talented who comes up with fluid play and rare backhand smash. But is talent the biggest contributor to adding the weights of being one of the greatest of all time? No. Ratchanok Intanon is considered very talented too and in fact the most talented player among all the women singles by far because she plays like a ballerina and she does not rely on brute force and strength/speed to win matches. That however makes her one of the GOATs? No necessarily.

Second - regular tournament results.

Grand Prix - Taufik wins 17 Grand Prix titles in a time frame of 12 years. On average, he has only won one title per year. That's not very impressive for one to be considered a GOAT. Even during his alleged best/peak form in 2005, he has only won one Grand Prix title apart from a World Champ.

Super Series era - where badminton is slowly gaining traction and money prize is increasing. Did you know that Taufik has only managed to win ONLY ONE Super Series title from the moment it started and end of his career. I would say statistically this is not GOAT worthy performance.

All England tournaments - Arguably this Wimbledon is the tournament despite being held annually that TRULY defines a greatness of a player. I know this sounds silly and stupid but whoever wins All England is no fluke and they are indeed players that bound for greatness. If Taufik is GOAT material, why does he fail win a single title? I think that is not impressive.

Olympic - I hate to use Olympic as the biggest metric to define a GOAT-ness of a player because sometimes a player can win that tournament by luck. In Taufik case, it's very controversial one because his path to winning the Athens Olympic Gold is very easy. He did not face a single Chinese player and his most difficult match was against Peter Gade in the QF. He even struggled against Wong Choong Hann who was not tipped to even win the tournament. The rest of his opponents ( Boonsak, Shon) without any disrespect were relatively easy opponents.

His performance in Beijing 2008 and London 2012 were not good either.

It's like Brazil winning the World Cup 2002 in Korea Japan and their path to winning the world cup was very easy. They did not face any top seed opponents.

World Champ - in 2005, this is the one and only tournament I think Taufik was at the peak of his form and he win this convincingly. However later on, his performance in the remaining editions were completely overshadowed by the fact that other players are getting better and peaking. Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan after 2008 are A LOT better than what they were in 2005 and 2006 and granted hypothetically if Taufik at his peak faces both of them at their peak. It will be very hard to determine the winner.

Third - The Endurance and Desire to Compete

This one Taufik clearly lost to the other three. After winning the big ones (OG and WC), he did at one point remark that he has no longer desire or motivated to train and win anymore. Now every player has a right to decide the path of their career but if you think you have crossed the finish line after winning only the big ones, then you are not worthy of being a GOAT.

It's like Michael Phelps telling people that he wont train hard anymore because he has won ONE Olympic gold medal or Roger Federer or Emma Raducanu not motivated to win more grand slams after winning ONE grand slam. This is not a good trait of a GOAT so the same logic applies to Taufik.

Peter Gade spends his whole life playing and he never lets age limit his participation in court. Yes he may not win as many as Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan but he certainly not lesser than Taufik competitively. He is considered the unluckiest one among them to not win major titles but he has consistently perform well in all big tournaments. This is something to be noted.

Is Taufik overrated ? Yes if you think he is a GOAT. Otherwise he is a very talented player that people love to watch. End of.

6. vozer here

bad example, not many top seed but they showed their dominance in every match

7. warujati

warujati New Member

lee chong wei is the most overrated player ever
    he can't win wc, ag, og at all. not even one

8. deven

deven Regular Member

business
    Who asked you to rate him , OG- 3 silver is nothing - oops sitting at home u decide it .. bad !! WC again silver medal !! He is best badminton player after lindan !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei and Momota didn't have gold Olympic but they have records.

This is how legendary sign their name to legendary house.
    123456.png

10. vozer here

With your view, you can tell everyone in this topic, "who asked you to rate him"!!! Sitting at home u decide it or you are away from home and you think that make you decide better?

11. Yeung Chao

The topic is about labelling which player is overrated according to individual opinion and analysis.

To that one saying Lee Chong Wei is overrated because he did not win WC, AG, OG. I think you need to do more to strengthen that argument.

Despite not winning the big ones, he demonstrated how capable he is to reach the top of his form and maintain that for a few years.

- Scoring THREE OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALS is not an easy feat ! In fact, he could have stood a good chance of winning at least a Bronze Medal (which is the fourth medal) in Athen 2004 if he had not unfortunately met Chen Hong.

- Making a name for himself in All England series. Winning quite a number of that title that puts him name in that history books.

- Collected a lot of prize money and winning title after title in SS/GP events. This shows dedication and endurance which you cannot ignore.

- Very good head to head record. Apart from random one-off upsets, he hardly lose to top players.

- Consistent performance. In his OK/BEST years, he will always make it to at least a SemiFinal of a tournament. How many players could do that?

Those are his good points. I want to make it clear that I am not a big fan of LCW buti cannot ignore the above he had achieved.

His bad points are :-

- Failure to step up when it matters most
    - Allowing himself to succumb to media toxicity
    - Failure to think of a bigger picture
    - Failure to consider or apply any tactical warfare to achieve the bigger goals

Bad points aside, it is not enough to label him as an overrated player..

12. vozer here

same old mistake when ppl talking about overrated and underrated. Its not like super bad or super good, its abt "did the majority rate him rite? is he over or lower that score ppl gave?

the majority rate lcw second best of all time. I think its rite, if someone think he's overrated then they should name who else derseved to be the second best

#32 vozer here, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    visor, Nine Tailed Fox and samkool like this.
  13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Waaah, Loving these discussions, folks.

14. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I agree Taufik shouldn’t be in the same realm as LCW or LD, he never demonstrated the consistency at the top. And I didn’t like him trying to underplay the importance of events he failed to win e.g AE, WC after it became annual event. He doesn’t have the attitude of a champion that can represent the sport well.

I’m not sure how Gade can be classified together with LCW or LD either though. To me he was always the consistent one in the top 4, but never a real consistent threat for titles throughout his career. He was always there, but you knew his chance of winning the whole thing weren’t that high.

I appreciate your candid take, and I’ll give my own. I think that Ginting is equally as talented as Taufik was, just that he was unlucky to play in an era where MS defense had already developed substantially and their playstyle of smash-net-smash no longer delivers consistent results.

15. Yeung Chao

You made me realised about one MAJOR POINT that defines a true GOAT character which is one's ability to cope with changes in style of play, evolution of the sports.

I know this sounds crazy but when Taufik was enjoying his success in the early years, style of play and sports science were still in its development stage. I felt like since 2008 onwards, I felt more and more players emerged and able to improve their game thanks to better strategic training and sporting science.

That means more and more players are capable of beating Taufik in any tournament. I can name a few players but notably Viktor Axelsen despite being a young man is capable of beating Taufik in straight sets thanks to the evolution of sports.

Now the point is if you are only good during one specific era and could not cope with other overlapping ones, then it's GOAT like material. Lee Chong Wei somehow gets even better as the sports develop further while Lin Dan did enough to maintain his success.

16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah plus points to LD and LCW for adapting with the times. I don’t know of anyone who considers Taufik the GOAT though. LD is the one anyone with a sane mind will call the GOAT, so far. So I think he’s not really that obviously overrated. Disregarding a few Indonesian nostalgia, I think he’s rated pretty correctly right now. Back then at the height of his powers it was worse, people were saying things like he could win as and when he wanted to. Right now, I think most people regard him as a talented player that managed to snatch his opportunities when they came, but faded just as quickly as he rose to the top.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suspect you are replying to an old trolling friend of ours.

18. Cury78

Cury78 New Member

The most overrated player in the currently INA team is Jonathan Christie. He was playing like a 100th ranking. I was confused why he was still selected for Thomas team after string of disasters when he was almost always a losing part within Sudirman Team match.

Nine Tailed Fox and rhoder like this.
  19. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

Not sure why LCW is considered the second best. Chen Long has beaten LCW in Olympics final once and World Championships final twice. His career peak is undoubtedly higher than that of LCW with Olympic Gold/Silver/Bronze and 2 World Champ Gold to his name. He is unfairly underrated and always forgotten, likely due to his unentertaining play-style.

20. Yeung Chao

Chen Long can only be classified as a successful player but he cannot do what Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan had done, creating records.
    Chen Long did win titles but nothing special compared to other previous winners. Another thing to point out is he does crumble under pressure.

Did you know that Chen Long has literally lost 99 percent of all his singles' match in a team event final ? Losing is one thing but the loss is costly to China's effort in winning Thomas/Sudirman Cup. I have to use that to mark Chen Long down.

I wont call him overrated but certainly a player I cannot rely on to deliver when it matters.

The only record notable of Chen Long is being the only singles player to win the complete set of Olympic medals.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.