6 Months Of Using ONLY Exbolt 63 - Precrime3's Review

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by precrime3, Sep 26, 2021.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I know I had been promising a video review for a long time but due to personal reasons, constantly traveling, and a good case of being lazy, I haven't been able to get around to it.

For those that have been waiting for my thoughts on the Exbolt 63, I didn't want to keep you guys on the fence any longer.

I originally made the change as I was wanting something with a bit more touch than the Bg80 due to the thinner guage but maintaining the durability. Basically coming into this, I was expecting this to be an upgraded bg80 minus the vectran.

My use patterns
    I've been using Exbolt 63 since it's come out - I first used it in late May and haven't looked back. Before that I was using the BG 80 on my 88s at 28 pounds.

I've used the string since then across various tensions and rackets:

25 pounds on ZF2, 99. 88s pro, 88d pro, and arcsaber 11.

25,26,27, and 28 pounds on the 100zz.

I play fairly often, typically 5-6 days a week, for a total time of at least 20 hours (not just games, more training usually).

Ideally I restring rackets weekly, but it usually ends up being bi weekly.

I currently have 4 100zz's and they are strung as such:

2 3U's at 27

1 4U at 27

1 3U at 27 with Aerobite boost

My feedback will be based on my use against BG80 in the past and Aerobite boost currently.

Power
    There will be three main sections I think that are relevant - power/repulsion, touch, and durability.

Now power and repulsion is something that a lot of people use interchangeably but there is a difference.

Given the exbolt's thin guage (63mm), you can expect a lot of repulsion, and this doesn't disappoint.

Wow! The first 1-2 hours after stringing feels like magic. The sound is crisp, and shots that have small actions feel effortless (drives, flicks, lifts, stick smashes, etc.).

It also makes these typically deadly shots that much more deadly - you can have a smaller action and produce the same results.

The repulsion comes down a little bit (naturally) as you use it more over time, but it never gets bad. If anything, as the string loosens up the sweet spot feels a bit more accessible and it becomes easier to generate power even if you don't have that magic repulsion I feel like I have in the first few hours. I feel the strings benefits the most when I do punch clears for some reason.

I can say that with this string I produce excellent smashes - but there are also a lot of different factors that have changed in the last few months. Changing rackets, changing tensions, a LOT of training. But I can say I do feel confident in my offense powers now, whether it's fast "pokes" in single or when I try to go for straight sledgehammer smashes in doubles.

Control
    I would say that the touch on this string is good, and the control is fine. I define touch as feeling or sensation, the way the vibrations are produced from the cork touching the string and transferring to you. I define the control of course as the end result - how tight are your nets, how much spin can you produce, etc.

To further expand on my two points, (touch being good, control being fine/okay) the touch is delightful. This was to be expected from a repulsive string with a thin gauge. The repulsion gives it a lively impression, and the thinness means you have no problem feeling the shuttle and manipulating it.

Note that this is the hardest string I've played with thus far - but I quite like hard strings I've learned after quickly transitioning from BG80 to exbolt 63. Noted that this means that mishits feel absolutely horrible (especially if it's new string) but miraculously don't break haha.

For the control, the reason why I rate it as "fine/okay" is because it's adequate. The higher tension of course will help with this, but I wasn't blown away by it. Sure I was doing tight spins, decent slices, and didn't have trouble threading smashes down lines but no more than I would with the BG80. I need to conduct an experiment where I restring my 4 rackets at the same time, all with different strings for a true comparison but until then this is where my opinions lie.

I did mention that I have a racket currently strung with Aerobite boost and I'm having fun with it truly. Spinning nets and slices are definitely easier with the aerobite boost, but I don't think it's that much better I would switch (and have to "relearn" a different string).

Durability
    In my 6 months of using this string - I think I've had one string snap. And this was after the stringer returned it to me with the string compromised (the outer coating on some areas was damaged from his mistakes) and I spent the entire day practicing my slice on a 88s pro (with the 68 hole grommet design which introduces more string movement anyways).

Besides that one freak accident I have yet to have it break on me. Granted I have a lot less mishits than I did just a few months ago, and I also restring quite often but I've been pleased with it durability wise. At the end of one week or second weeks, I restring totally because I just like new string. Not because it feels like it is about to give out or that the performance has totally given out. With that being said, I would say that thinner strings (not just exbolt) in general do tend to wear faster but given how often I restring I'm okay with that.

Verdict
    I give this string a 9/10. It complements my preference for something that is a strong performer in most areas, while giving me some help in the repulsion/power area. Similar to my 100zz which I would also classify as more of an offensive all rounder than a strictly attacking racket.

In areas where I want to play softer shots or deception, it is suitable. I do wish that it was Vectran based (or perhaps they will release one later?) or they made basically an aerobite boost but with Exbolt science. That would make it a perfect 10 for me but this is me wishing for a string that has no compromises which just isn't possible.

The exbolts solid durability, reliable performance, and good touch afforded by its thin gauge yet deceptively durable construction has made this my string of choice for the foreseeable future - so much I have committed to buying my first 200M reel of any string, ever.

If you haven't tried it out- I would definitely try it! String is something that doesn't take much financial commitment, so it's easy for me to recommend it to people. Most people want string that make them feel crisp and powerful, especially in power shots.

I'd string this at your preferred tension if you're used to hard strings, and a pound less if you're not.

2. atrangi

atrangi Regular Member

I tried out Yonex Exbolt because of you (your racquet had it). I really like it. I just ordered a 200m reel!!!

3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Haha right? I have a 200M reel myself, I think it's going to be my go to for a while until they release an exbolt hybrid string

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Make your own hybrid! :D

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Not worth the extra costs ($, mental, time, etc.) for me. It'd likely be a marginal improvement but am honestly too lazy to do any research or invest $ into it

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Fair enough. Apologies for the poor suggestion. I thought it might be a case of buying a couple of packs of control string (BG80 to match the hardess?) And giving to stringer. I appreciate you are a very busy man with training, reviewing, selling and playing! I don't think you are lazy at all.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

7. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Great review - I’m currently testing BG80 on the mains and Exbolt on the crosses as @DuckFeet suggested above. Feels really nice fresh of the machine so may be worth a go when you get time.

cheers

Ben

8. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    If I find a stringer to do that for me, would be nice. I'm pretty content with string - as long as it's a string I generally like and it's freshly strung I don't complain too much

Benwilluk likes this.
  9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Working on a video review finally btw!

Benwilluk likes this.