Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

it never hurts to be further behind and the able to adjust your position moving forward. though not the comment you asked for, but i want to point out that the racket arm motion still has much room for improvement.

pause the video at 0:18 and see how, while under no apparent pressure, you end an overhead stroke with alot of wrist flexion and which partially throws body way off balance. that is a sign that you havent figured out the basic stroke nor the proper contact point - which leads back to the question of far should the shuttle be in relation to the hitting shoulder, elbow or which ever reference point you want to use - to which i have answered at lengths before on this thread regarding your throwing motion.

pause the video at 0.20, you can be further behind the shuttle. you are not rotating the upper trunk enough, and also collapsing the racket shoulder (to get efficient energy transfer from body rotation to the arm, the line formed by elbow-to-elbow should be rigid). your floppy shoulder shows up, without exaggeration at almost every overhead stroke. 0.37 was a bit better, 0.58 even better, if you can recall that feeling.

if you are still paying for online badminton assessment, curious to hear how they intend to fix your overhead stroke. that kink in your shoulder isnt going away by itself. every time you hit, you are imprinting bad muscle memory into your stroke.

my suggestion is to , though not glamorous, examine your throwing motion, figure out the positions of your shoulder and elbow at the point of contact. practice your reverse slice drop shot, brushing the shuttle from right to left, emphasizes the rotational aspect of basic overhead shot. building on the reverse slice, brush the shuttle with more back to front motion and open racket face, it gains more forward momentum and becomes a basic overhead clear.

#1181 wannaplay, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I really appreciate all of the feedback you gave me. I only did one session of online coaching with badminton insight and my stroke technique wasn’t talked about much. If you are are saying that my technique at the 58 second mark was the best in that last video I can visually see why it’s better but I can say I do not know what I did differently that makes it better

What I think makes the most difference in all of these details of my stoke stroke is
    1.) being relaxed in my body and grip
    2.) getting behind the shuttle
    3.) proper grip
    with number one has the most impact for myself. So as far as how I should practice , you are suggesting to practice the reverse slice movement as as well as the overhead clear ?

3. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I don't think the type of stroke matters a lot as the differences will just be about the racket speed. The basics behind say a slice, smash, drop shots are the same. That's what you should focus on, not the result but the process.

What I noticed is you are often off balance as you land after a jump which makes you quite slow to go to the next shot.

Mason likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would have to agree about the inconsistency in your overhead stroke. There are quite a lot of strokes where you don’t use your shoulder to pull your elbow forward. When you need to run a bit to the forehand and do an overhead shot, the stroke is quite inefficient and awkward - try to get your elbow up and forward like you do when you do the good smashes.

I think badminton insight probably haven’t mentioned it more as there is a limit to what can be achieved online especially with only one session. You can discuss until the cows come home on how to correct but there comes a time when you really need the coach on court advising you and drilling the shots in a systematic fashion.

Mason likes this.
  5. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

For your stroke , I would say getting further behind and be in “ready position” faster then your stroke would get better. I think your bad footwork pattern is a major problem. There re some shot that your stroke is quite alright. I kept watching your play and spot that most of your back court overhead shot are weird and wrong. Your overhead footwork is like running to the back and you also cross your leg backward which may cause injury when you get to play in faster game. Try sliding backward instead. You can find a lot of basic footwork video on youtube and try to fix it especially back court both sides. If you could change this bad habit. Your stoke will look smoother and more powerful because you will be able to use the kinetic chain.
    PS. I didnt watch all of your recent video but I rarely see you play backhand. The game quality that you play right now with your stamina plus your strength. I believe at this moment you could be able to play more smoothly if your footwork is correct since most of your opponent shot quality is very low.

Mason likes this.
  6. akatsuki2104

Just on a side note, your videos are like highlights of your best shots. I think it would be more usefull to see the whole point and not just your strokes.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I post all of my games to on my you tube channel

8. akatsuki2104

I meant the editing. You are cutting right in the middle of rallies, often just after a smash

Cheung likes this.
  9. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

try hitting a clear with the same motion as you would with a reverse slice.

10. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

that is correct for the shots themselves if done correctly. but as a learning process, especially for an adult who is strong enough to clear the bird with wrong technique, one way to avoid muscling a shot is to first learn a soft shot that encompasses all the right technique without having to worry about speed and distance, which indeed ties back into your last sentence about the importance of process.

akatsuki2104, Cheung and Mason like this.
  11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I agree with this!

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You can try this.

Try to record yourself in practice doing the overhead stroke slowly and consistently correct on court. Positing the camera and tripod in front of the net facing you

Get someone to feed shuttles to you so that you can do overhead clears, especially with the running over to the forehand side. Do a gentle clear, with the body, shoulder coming forward and the elbow coming up.

Keep the body staying fairly upright (ie not leaning to the left) after hitting the shuttle.

After that review the footage to look at the technique.

Basically it’s an extension of what you used to post up of the shadowing practice in the garage but now you do it on court. What you post up now is only your best shots during games. There are still intermediate steps that you can do help to improve without a coach giving immediate feedback.

Mason likes this.
  13. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

cant really say the .58 was the best, only that compared to other random moments i saw, this shot seems less awkward, regardless of the quality of the shot, because the contact point is more congruent with your body position, and your chest stays more open throughout the shot.

most other times, you do not rotate your upper body enough into the shot for your intended contact point in front, and you are forced to make up the distance by bringing your upper arm in towards your chest, breaking what they call the kinetic chain.

Screenshot from 2021-10-16 23-41-46.png

here is a common scenario of just that, your back is parallel with picture plane, but you want to contact the bird way in front, so you move your upper arm independently into the picture plane to reach the shuttle, when you should be rotating the upper body more into the picture plane. ideally the point of contact should be more or less in line with the plane of your body - when people say contacting the shuttle in front, it just means a combination of rotating more and leaning into the shot.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

from that picture, the left elbow can come backwards more. Trying to pull that left elbow backwards more just before hitting the shuttle, (instead of keeping it in front of the body) would help form and power generation.

15. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

it should in theory, bringing the left elbow back would bring the racket elbow forward, but only if OP considers rotating the upper arms and body as one unit. right now, the body is doing one thing and the arms are doing something else.

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I can definitely give this a go !

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thank you for that cue !

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So you are saying in general, I am not rotating my upper body enough and because of that I have to put my arm in an incorrect position….?

19. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

thats partly the reason, for those power shots where the contact points are way in front. you know the elbow needs to go out there, but somewhow the body decides to stay behind, so no body weight going into your powershot.

but more because you cannot gauge the correct contact point relative to your body position - which stems from not knowing the correct throwing biomechanics.

visor likes this.
  20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I would agree with this ! I have never been good at throwing all while growing up and playing sports