Against good footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by checkthemc, Aug 28, 2005.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    If your opponent has superior footwork to you, but not so high quality shots, what stratagies would you use? What shots not to make? What shots to use? Pin him into the net? Or go all out offense? Help is nice :)

2. Locomoco

Locomoco Regular Member

I'd try to keep him at the net as much as possible.

3. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I am not quite sure by what you mean by the quality of his shots are not superior.Are his clears weak from the backcourt or are you saying that his shotmaking is easy to read or are you saying his shot selection is limited.I find if the strength isn't there then keep him in the back court exploiting the weak returns.The backcourt is by far the greatest weakness in most players game if the shotmaking strength isn't there.Net is important too but you must first force your opponent to be late in retrieving the tight shots and that comes from making him late in returning to his base .The easiest way is when pushing the opponent in the backcourt.Anyways if you want a better answer please be clearer when stating your question.

4. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I meant that my drops are tighter than his drops. My smashes have more angel and are stronger than his shots. My net play is better than his. Generally, all my shots are more accurate than his. BUT, he has better footwork. Does that help?:confused:

5. terror

terror Regular Member

then u should be able to take advantage of his less skillful shots to possibly deliver a killer smash or something. thats provided u can get to the shuttle in time

another very very useful thing to do is to improve your footwork. since u've already identified the problem then work on it;)

6. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Have you tried doing long drive rallies. If your shots are alot better than his, maybe he'd hit the net. :D

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    usually players with good footwork anticipate alot, try using some deceptive shots, make him run around . this will throw him/her off.

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

indeed. most 'fast' runners gamble. try holding your overhead strokes..wait a sec. and try to 'suddenly' pop out a clear (wrist power). also, most players with weak strokes have a bad backhand.

most likely, if you get a long rally. he'll win. try going for the killer shots, but remember, dont play the high-risk shots when your on the defence(read: in trouble)

9. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

Go to the net, this will take his reaction time down and make him move untill he get exausted

10. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

When I was a newb, at my first tournament, I played someone who was better at everything BUT footwork. I wondered what kind of strategy he would dish out at me. Well, it was pretty darn predictable...

He made me run.

Corner clears, corner drops, corner clears, corner drops, etc... He just exhausted me half to death...

Since then, I've improved both my shots and my stamina. ;)

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I agree, a lot of clear to back court and net drop combo.

12. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

i'd say, just make him run. u since his footwork is superior, try to make ur hits as fast as u can. eg. fast clears. u can wait for him to make an unforced error

13. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

why dun you play pushing with him since you're more skillful and pushing doesn't require much footwork.

14. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Hi,
    Remember who was the world champion and had the fluid n solid footwork? China's Han Jian!!! He was beaten by India's Prakash Padukone in badminton. Tactics: Deception. Well, if u can master deceptive strokes well, then u can outplay a good footwork player. It was proven. So, use it man.;)
    Adidas:D

15. oseph

oseph Regular Member

beware of the player who has a good footwork, even if you have better racket skills, the guy with a good footwork will prevail, IMHO , footwork if the foundation of almost all the skills needed in badminton, it will save you energy when chasing the bird, it will get you anywhere on places inside the court, it will give you the correct form in executing a shot, and it will give you the speed and stamina to outsmart your opponent.Once you have mastered the art of footwork then good shots will follow...

16. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    totally agree - i find it quite weird that a player with good footwork would be lacking in strokes. but anyway - yes deception is the key.. altho also i would disagree with most here and keep the rally's as short as possible.. if his footwork is good then he will expend little energy in those long rally's compared to somebody with lesser footwork.

play a game that requires less good footwork, less movement is the key. keep the clears and drops in the middle of the court and wait for a weak reply so you can smash for the point.

use deception to force weak replies too. The key here is to make use of his weak technique, make him play backhands or off balance shots.

hope this helps

Coops

17. Froca

Froca Regular Member

student( must keep a high avg to play badminton an
    An evil tip

since their techniques are bad,instead of hitting the bird away from them try hitting the bird at them:D. most people/ low level player are horiible at returning shots that's directly aimed for hteir body.

18. markburry_90

markburry_90 Regular Member

Control the net

Hey

I think that since he has poor quality shots, you can take advantage and control the net. The easiest way to do this is to keep him away from the net, and in the back.

Clear, Clear, Clear, Clear, then when he is off balance, smash or drop.

keep him away from the net, because if he is quick on his feet, he may be able to get to the birds at the net quicker, and kill any hovering net shots.:eek::p