TotalEnergies THOMAS-UBER Cup 2020 : Quarterfinal-Final (14-17 October 2021)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Oct 14, 2021.

1. PoLLuX

PoLLuX Regular Member

Student
    Well, there was a controversy also regarding [redacted] video which might affect his mental state

*oops

2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Biggest achievement: Carried himself like an absolute gentleman throughout this illustrious career.
    Is it already certain he will retire this year?

3. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

When did it happen?

4. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
    I'm grateful that Indonesia won, but secretly i want to see Sukamuljo and Marthin play tonight. Even Gill Clark mentioned that the only thing lacking in this final is that she didn't get to watch Sukamuljo and Marthin partnership tonight as well.

Gigabit likes this.
  5. PoLLuX

PoLLuX Regular Member

Student
    Now. Badmintoneurope usually streaming the matches live. It is last match now

hybisme likes this.
  6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

No more target to achieve, unless you want to win another Thomas Cup in May next year (if it happens).
    Unlikely they will last till Asian Games as Fajar/Rian will likely compete there for regeneration purpose.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Hendry Saputro suddenly in the podium, where has he been??

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

He is coming for the 3 upcoming tourneys in Europe isn't he?

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Oh yeah Finally i guess.

10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think he played really well in the All England this year, he defeated Kunlavut before INA was restricted to play.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Dont have much time to celebrate as tournaments coming in thick and fast. and only 7 or so months to defend ThomasCup.

12. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

SYQ looked slightly tired and less explosive when compared to last week during game 1, during game 2 he went for a quite a few rather unusual shots after a few rallies. Going for very unusual deceptions which quite often hit the net or landed out with significantly less rallying.

There was definitely something wrong with SYQ that day, maybe it was physically, maybe it was psychologically or both...

My take is that he tried to wait as long as possible for any chance to win, desperate for even the slightest chance to give his team a win.
    At 5 : 20 against him he retired, imo this was purely tactical and not for personal reasons (looking at SYQ behavior in the past that explanation just doesn't make sense to me...).
    Probably the coaches idea and not SYQ's decision himself...

skhai91 likes this.
  13. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

I bet to differ. Shi wanted to quit at 11-2 but his coach wanted him to finish the match.
    I read from some article it was captured on live TV when Shi was heard saying "if I just play casually, it's not different from I just retire"
    Anyway he carried on only to quit at 20-5.

I'm not going find excuse for that, especially after he admitted doing that "not to lose".

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think unless Team CHN can bring in Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen and Shi Yuqi back into the squad, its difficult for them to beat DEN.

INA's biggest threat will also be DEN with its 3 strong singles players and if they can sort out their doubles, DEN may just take the cup back.

Hendra/Ahsan may not continue, so, Daniel/Leo will step up to be INA's MD3 and ready to be paired with others to surprise others. The fate of Minions and Fajar/Rian may also be quite intriguing....something we have to wait till end of the year before there's any clarity.

15. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Dude…wtf?

First you’re not Icuk, second you’re not a native Indonesian speaker and then you used those two false pretences to flame JC for his win?

What he said was nothing to write home about…even if it was what you claimed it to be. JC won fair and square and brought home the goods. Get over it boy.

#1615 Desireless, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  16. wade

wade Regular Member

Fajar/rian look like the best INA MD by quite a margin right now so I doubt herry would split them up or something, for minions now that's different story, herry ip even gave them a warning after that embarassing loss against chia/soh in sudirman cup. if they can't regain their form maybe we could see some new partnership earlier next year

#1616 wade, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

@Quentin11 You must understand that sliced shots no matter how much muscled dont cut at the top level.

If Shi feng needs to improve his game, he must develop a capacity to unload strikes that are steeply powerful aka lee chong wei like offense and develop a powerful DTL offense.

At the moment, his offense is poor. That's why over emphasis on punch clears.

Shamwow and Quentin11 like this.
  18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Fajar/Rian look very solid in the past 2 days. If not for the errors at the end of Set 1 against the Olympics Gold Medallist, they would have beaten them in straight-sets.

I would like Fajar/Rian to win at least 1 tourney in the next 3 weeks. But not an easy draw: against Rankireddy/Shetty in QF of Denmark Open; followed by the Minions in the SF of both Denmark and French Opens. In the Hylo Open, they are drawn in the lower half against Hendra/Ahsan.

19. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

That's bad luck. but will like to watch them play!!

20. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Congrats to Indonesia ! Not surprised by this result at all, I thought Denmark and Indonesia were the biggest favorite to win this cup and they beat Denmark in semis so well-deserved victory. Their men's team has great depth in both singles and doubles, the only weak link is MS3 but you only need to win 3 matches in a tie so it does not matter much.