Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

you mentioned that before.

another thing i noticed about your stroke is that, which can be seen quite clearly from the back, you open up your racket face too early. it is a common issue when people do not trust that a racket travelling on edge can turn and face the shuttle square on at impact - so they either un/consciously start adjusting towards a pan handle grip which even you did in earlier videos (your would prepare with a neutral grip but at some point rotate the grip before impact), or in more recent video, you managed to retain a proper grip through out, but you open you racket face way too early rather than letting the arm come through naturally (on edge) before opening the racket face at impact. someone can explain this better in biomechanical terms, but racket face opening too soon (arming your shot) is ruining your body rotation, giving you that kink in the shoulder, robbing you of power, and making the stroke awkward and uncomfortable.

your follow through suffers a similar problem, you do not let pronation takes its course, you often either stop short or force it into wrist flexion.

sort out your problems in baby steps, if you cannot hit properly while standing with someone feeding your shuttle, no amount of jumping or footwork will help.

#1201 wannaplay, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    just picked out one of your old posts and video. This one has a decent arm throwing action. Have a look at the left arm and elbow dropping down and backwards just before you start throwing the right arm. That helps give a better rotation of the upper body and shoulders.

note: as discussed previously, the racquet face in the video is inefficient.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Your dry swinging may look ok but once you start hitting shuttles, your swing goes off kilter.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Mason and Cheung like this.
  4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

How does this look?

5. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

the shape is good for illustration purposes, practice that on court from the baseline along with minimal footwork with emphasis on taking it very EASY. need to work the stiffness out of your system. show us/yourself throwing shuttles from the baseline and then doing same with easy overhead strokes.

i am just cluttering up the thread with comments people made from 3 yrs ago. lets see if you can get your buddies to help you practice for ten 15 minutes during your play session.

really like kenichi tago's video, there are some English subtitles. notice when he demonstrates the hop from the baseline, he really focuses on weight transfer across the hip, the upper body remains very stable (like learning parallel turn if you ski, weight and unweight from one leg to the other).

#1205 wannaplay, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    BadmintonDave, Cheung and Mason like this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Would also be a good idea to review badminton insight

4 mins in this video and don't have the racquet end up behind you at the very end of the stroke.

Mason likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Good idea, need to go back and look at the basics again.

Just like my kid who has been playing competitions for a few years and one of the best in her age group. She's picked up some inefficient habits and we are currently going back to basics but taking it even further with the small details. Psychologically, it can be difficult for the player to go one step back in order to go two steps forward.

speCulatius, Mason and wannaplay like this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are some practice clears

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nice video.

Shows very clearly you swing your right arm first and have limited body rotation.

That girl you rally with, you can watch her overhead stroke. Her left side starts moving first iust before the right arm starts the swing. Try that minor adjustment for your stroke making sure the left arm and shoulder move first.

(The girl drops to her left after hitting the shuttle - don't copy that :) )

Mason likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback

11. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Your hitting point is behind your body although you have plenty of time. I think the problem is you bend your back too much so although from your point of view, the hitting point is above your head, it's actually past your body. Try to keep your back straight, do only body turn, your contact point will be further in front and your clear/smash will have much better angle/flight path.

12. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

you were doing quite well at the beginning, what stands out is you taking small step with easy weight transfer, hitting clean and immediately decelerate the racket after you hit. then you started taking bigger step back and arming your stroke again.

on an easy clear, see if you can finish a stroke without dropping the racket elbow and decelerate the racket towards your groin area.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Slow motion is even clearer - watch the left arm movement and timing

14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I think running steps are fine so long as you are comfortable with them. If they are clumsy or uncoordinated you're likely to fall down sure, but they can be a perfectly fine way to move backwards. Look at ginting when he plays a netshot and moves back for a smash. I find that when moving backwards diagonally to the forehand or backhand, 'sliding' feels more natural, but when I'm moving straight backwards, running steps feel more natural.

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I can trybto do that

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I have been trying to practice what was suggested and I feel like I made a tiny bit of progress. I did play with players who were far less skilled than I usually do so that helped me.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Looks better though sometimes you turn too much or you don’t turn enough.

There are the slow motion clips around 1.45 where you obviously feel those were good smashes. Rotation looked good for those two and you didn’t fall away to the left after hitting the shuttle. Did you notice you stretched your left arm out and forward just before starting your right arm swing. Then the left forearm comes back to the body when the right arm swings forward.

You have a lot of instability in your recovery. That’s caused by a) your right leg swinging out to the right too much, b) left left not swinging back enough.

My philosophy is if you can get the lower body and leg movements right, it’s going to be a lot easier to control the upper body and make the upper body do what you want to do.

#1217 Cheung, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Mason likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I have been trying to get better rotation and to use my left arm properly. I have bad right ankle mobility that I’ve finally been able to improve which is helping with my stability.
    I’m going to continue to work on it !!

thanks for your feedback and help I really appreciate it.

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I am watching the Korean doubles womens match that is on now and in 90% of their overhead strokes their rackets come through to the left side of their bodies. Why is it that you think it’s wrong when that happens ?

20. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Don't think this is a problem, more an aftermath of relaxing the arm in the afterswing causing the arm to turn inwards. The official BWF coach material seems to back that up.