Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han land Mixed Doubles Title at Li-Ning Czech Open

Double Doubles Joy for Hee, who also lands winners' medal in Men's Doubles with Loh Kean Hean, to add to their Dutch Open Men's Doubles Crown

[​IMG]

Image via Czech Badminton Open 2021

24 October 2021, Brno, Czech Republic - Singapore badminton athletes Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han have been crowned champions of the Mixed Doubles competition at the Li-Ning Czech Open, after overcoming Lev Barinov and Anastasiia Boiarun of Russia in straight sets 21-18, 21-12.

Terry Hee and Loh Kean Hean have also won the Men's Doubles Final in the same competition in a tense final, after coming from behind to win 13-21, 21-15, 21-15.

Team Singapore's shuttlers have been on a roll in their tour of Europe this month, clinching back-to-back titles, with the Czech Open their third out of four stops in Europe.

Mixed Doubles Win a Significant Milestone

Hee and Tan's win adds to previous titles by Jaslyn Hooi (Women's Singles, Polish International 2021), Loh Kean Yew (Men's Singles, YONEX Dutch Open 2021), and Terry Hee / Loh Kean Hean (Men's Doubles, YONEX Dutch Open 2021).

The duo landed their fifth joint title after overcoming Russian shuttlers Lev Barinov and Anastasiia Boiarun. This was their first joint title in five years, since their last victory at the Hungarian International in 2016.

Hee and Tan had to overcome Malaysian pair Lim Tze Jian and Wong Kha Yan in the semi-finals, which they did in straight sets 21-13, 21-10 to book their spot in the finals.

[​IMG]
    Image via Badminton World Federation
    Hee and Loh Men’s Doubles Champions

In the Men’s Doubles, Terry Hee and Loh Kean Hean claimed their second Men's Doubles title in a row, following their championship title exactly a week ago at the YONEX Dutch Open 2021.

The duo overcame Malaysian rivals Chia Wei Jie and Low Hang Yee of Malaysia 21-16, 21-19 to set up a mouth watering final clash against another Malaysian pair Man Wei Chong and Tee Kai Wun in the Li-Ning Czech Open show-piece.

In a tense final, Hee and Loh fell 13-21 in the first set, but fought back strongly to win their next two sets 21-15, 21-15.

Men’s Singles

In the Men’s Singles, rising star Jason Teh showed promise making it to the semi-finals after defeating Sheng Xiao Dong 21-13, 21-16. Unfortunately, he narrowly missed out on the ticket to the finals after losing to sixth seeded Malaysian Ng Tze Yong 15-21, 14-21, who eventually went down to home favourite Jan Louda 21-16, 16-21, 25-27 in the Final.

Women’s Singles

Polish International Champion Jaslyn Hooi also took part in the tournament, making her way to the Quarter finals. She lost out to eighth seeded Indonesian shuttler Putri Kusma Wardani 18-21, 10-21.

The completion of the Men's Doubles Finals event tonight would mark the end of the third pitstop of four tournaments for Singapore's shuttlers as they go on to compete at the Belgian Open this week 27-30 Oct 2021.

#SportPlusSG #Badminton #CzechOpen2021 #TeamSingapore

Match point - Hee / Tan vs Barinov / Boiarun - XD, Final - Czech Open 2021 - YouTube

#1662 Loh, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Doubles joy for newly weds Terry Hee, Tan Wei Han at Czech Open
    Badminton: Doubles joy for newly weds Terry Hee, Tan Wei Han at Czech Open, Sport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
      David Lee
      • PUBLISHED
        OCT 24, 2021, 11:46 PM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - The month of October has been a joyous one for Singaporean shuttlers Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han, who tied the knot on Oct 2, before going on to finish third at the Oct 13-17 Dutch Open.

And the happy couple took home their fifth international title on Sunday (Oct 24) at the Czech Open, when they beat Russia's 265th-ranked Lev Barinov and Anastasiia Boiarun 21-18, 21-12 in 28 minutes in the mixed doubles final at City Hall Vodova.

The run to their first win together in five years was ridden with obstacles, as the pair - once ranked as high as world No. 15 in 2017 - saw their ranking plunge to 788th due to a combination of national service (NS), injury and the Covid-19 pandemic.

The duo, who halted their partnership in 2019 when Tee enlisted for NS, only reunited on court before the Dutch Open.

Tan, 28, who had come back from meniscus surgery a year ago, told The Straits Times: "We feel happy and proud of this achievement. This win is extra meaningful on so many levels. It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears for us to get back together and win another title."

Hee, 26, added: "Even though we are married, we keep things very professional on court and give our best for every training session and match. We are definitely not here for a honeymoon."

What made the victory sweeter for the pair was proving they still have the winning touch as they won all five matches without dropping a game.

Their chemistry was key in the final and especially so when they won a 51-stroke rally in a tight first game to make it 17-17, before claiming victory.

They are hoping that this win will make their partnership permanent and that they will get "sufficient support and funding", they can shoot for Paris 2024.

While Hee and Tan are national players, they had to self-fund for this European trip - which includes the Oct 27-30 Belgian International - as they were not selected by the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA).

However, they are grateful for a $10,000 sponsorship from SBA vice-president Michael Foo's company Ram E, which helped them to travel and compete.

SBA technical director Martin Andrew explained that it had to "prioritise the players that we send for overseas tournaments with our limited budget due to the Covid-19 situation", and that Tan had returned from a long injury lay-off.

The duo are still in its plans, as Andrew said: "They are both skilful in their own right and play together well. Terry has a good varied attack from the rear court and is able to expose the opposing female player.

"Wei Han has improved her defence and has good control from the mid and front court areas. As long as they maintain the initiative and control they are difficult to break down. They now have to challenge at a higher level to see if they can get back into the world's top 25."

Hours after winning the mixed doubles final, Hee was back on court for the men's doubles final with Loh Kean Hean against Malaysia's 126th-ranked Man Wei Chong and Tee Kai Wun.

Again, it was the lower-ranked Singaporeans who emerged victorious, as they clinched a spirited 13-21, 21-15, 21-15 win in 40 minutes. This was the world No. 135 duo's second consecutive title after their Dutch Open success.

Hee conceded their rivals played "harder and faster" in the first game and they had to change their strategy. They were 15-13 down in the second frame, before Loh's superb serves helped them reel off eight straight points to wrest control of the game from their opponents.

He added: "Playing multiple matches is tough of course, but good discipline and good recovery help me pull through. It is not easy, but I can definitely get used to this because it means we are on the right track and making more semi-finals and finals."

(Congrats to our newly-weds and may they bring glory and success to themselves and Singapore in the badminton arena!)

#1663 Loh, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

@Loh

Just wondering, are you by any chance connected to Loh Kean Yew/Kean Hean?

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks for showing interest.
    I was born many, many years ago in Singapore and the Loh brothers were born in Penang. They are much younger than my sons..
    But strangely, our initials LKY were similar, and we have two common names.
    However, I'm proud the brothers are donning Singapore colours now and I wish them well in their pursuit of success in the badminton world.

6. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

What a coincidence... The initials are also same as the founding father of Singapore, which is rather confusing when it's mentioned in this forum. Kean Yew is showing a lot of potential and I am sure he will go on to achieve great things.

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Uncle Loh must be >70 years young now.
    We last met 11 years ago at the 2010 Thomas and Uber Cup in KL.
    It was a priceless gathering which sadly may never happen again.

Only memories.

Loh likes this.
  8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, time passes rather quickly. Those were priceless memories with our Badminton Central friends, particularly those from Malaysia who gathered to watch the world's best teams competing against one another.

BC friends also met at other notable internationals such as the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, the Beijing Olympics, the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup in Jarkarta, and the Asian Games in Guangzhou. They also came to Singapore for the Singapore Open and to Hongkong for the Hongkong Open. BC founder, Kwun, came to our Singapore Open at least once and we had a memorable time hosting him.

I wish I was younger again to regain the energy and interest for these badminton events.

#1668 Loh, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    nokh88 likes this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congrats to Loh Kean Yew who has just beaten Malaysia's Lee Zii Jia in the ongoing French Open, 24-22 and 21-14.
    So too, to Yeo Jia Min who beat Lianne Tan (Belgium), 21-16, 21-9 in R1 yesterday.

#1669 Loh, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  10. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

Loh Kean Yew wins over Lee Zi Jia in French Open! Wow!!
    That's a huge achievement!

Baddyforall and Loh like this.
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Definitely, a booster for him. Hope to see him more in regular tournaments. His defense has improved tremendously .

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Singapore's Loh stuns All-England champ Lee Zii Jia at French Open
    [​IMG]
    This is Loh Kean Yew's first victory over his childhood rival at senior level in five attempts.PHOTO: ST FILE
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      10 HOURS AGO
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - National shuttler Loh Kean Yew recorded a 24-22, 21-14 win over All-England champion Lee Zii Jia to progress to the French Open's round of 16 on Wednesday (Oct 27).

Loh, ranked 40th, took 39 minutes to upset the world No. 8. It was his first victory over his childhood rival – both were born in Malaysia – at senior level in five attempts.

The victory came 12 years after he beat the Malaysian to clinch the 2009 National Junior Grand Prix Under-12 crown in Seremban.

The pair had also met twice at the 2019 SEA Games, with the Malaysian winning in both the team event and men’s singles final.

Loh told The Straits Times: “This is a big win for me because we were same-same back then, and now he is far ahead of me in the top 10 and I’m playing catch-up.

“This gives me confidence that I am on the right track, but it all boils down to consistency because the top players are in a higher position than me because of that.

“It is always a target to make it into the top 10 myself, but I have to take it step by step by first getting into the top 30 to reach the main draw of bigger tournaments, and then the top 20.”

The 24-year-old’s patient approach was also evident in the battle between the two attacking players.

Although Loh had the lead for most of the match, the crucial point came when he squandered two game points and saved one himself at 22-21 down before closing out the frame.

He said: “As much as I wanted to win, I cannot rush, so I think I did well in that aspect. Zii Jia may have been more tired from playing in the Thomas and Sudirman Cup and I got the better of him at the net.”

He will take on India’s world No. 22 Lakshya Sen for a place in the quarter-finals at the Stade Pierre de Coubertin in Paris. The duo had met in the Dutch Open final on Oct 17, with the Singaporean emerging with his sixth international title.

On Tuesday, Singapore’s top female shuttler Yeo Jia Min advanced to the last 16 after beating Belgium’s world No. 38 Lianne Tan 21-16, 21-9 in 33 minutes.

The world No. 31 will face Indonesia’s world No. 22 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung on Thursday.

Yeo, 22, said: “I’m happy to be playing on the circuit again and winning. I have been working on adjusting my rhythm on court and awareness. She was trying to attack but I just tried to control the pace and added some variations to make it difficult for her.

“I used to always want to go on attacks early in the points and that impatience cost me. My control of such situations is better now.”

The Singapore Badminton Association technical team were pleased to note how both players were able to work patience into their attacking games to reach another level.

[​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Loh Kean Yew, ranked 40th, took 39 minutes to upset Malaysia's All-England champion Lee Zii Jia, the world No. 8. PHOTO: COURTESY OF BADMINTON PHOTO

SBA technical director Martin Andrew said: “Kean Yew dictated the rallies and controlled the flow of the match. He managed to keep the intensity high and constantly had answers to his opponent’s attacks.”

National singles coach Kelvin Ho added: “Kean Yew showed much initiative on court and was very focused. He was patient in managing the match, which was important as well.

“The coaching team have also gotten Jia Min to play a different style, which is more open and patient, to make her attacking game deadlier.

“If she can add more dimensions to her game, she will be a more complete player.”

hybisme likes this.
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry for Loh Kean Yew, his French Open journey came to an end today when he lost meekly in straight games 21-17 and 21-13 to India's Laksyah Sen. It was a surprise loss as LKY beat LS in the recent Dutch Open finals convincingly, 21-12, 21-16. Was he affected by his fitness after his upset win over Malaysia's top singles, Lee Zii Jia yesterday? Or was it his mental that affected his performance? So there is still some way to go for LKY to be in the world's top 10 MS.

However, Yeo Jia Min continued to keep the Singapore flag flying in the WS when she beat Indonesia's best singles player, Gregoria Mariska Tunjung. 21-19 and 21-8. It was a good win for YJM and we hope she can make further progress.

#1673 Loh, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    lodoss and hybisme like this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Yeo Jia Min qualifies for French Open q-finals but Loh Kean Yew is eliminated
    [​IMG]
    Yeo Jia Min (above) beat world No. 22 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung of Indonesia 21-19, 21-8.PHOTO: COURTESY OF BADMINTONPHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      11 HOURS AGO
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - On her fourth try, Singapore's world No. 31 Yeo Jia Min notched her first win over Indonesia's world No. 22 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung with a 21-19, 21-8 victory to progress to the French Open women's singles quarter-finals on Thursday (Oct 28).

The 22-year-old badminton player will face South Korea's world No. 8 An Se-young on Friday for a place in the semi-finals.

However, team-mate Loh Kean Yew could not keep up his fine form a day after upsetting Malaysia's All-England champion Lee Zii Jia. The world No. 41 was beaten 21-17, 21-13 in 40 minutes by India's world No. 22 Lakshya Sen at the Stade Pierre de Coubertin in Paris.

Meanwhile, their team-mates all came through the first round at the Belgian International. Mixed doubles and newly-weds Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han continued their fine form after winning the Dutch Open last week to surge 175 places to 230th in the world rankings.

The former world No. 15 pair proved their pedigree as they beat Scotland's world No. 88 Christopher Grimley and Eleanor O'Donnell 21-8, 21-18 at Sportoase Leuven.

Hee then partnered Loh Kean Hean in the men's doubles as the world No. 109 duo took out Denmark's Kristian Kraemer and Marcus Rindshoj 21-18, 21-15.

Coming through the men's singles qualifiers, world No. 165 Jason Teh also overcame India's Harsheel Dani (156th) 21-18, 21-15, while world No. 99 Jaslyn Hooi edged out Denmark's Amalie Schulz (138th) 19-21, 22-20, 21-11 in the women's singles.

15. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Ya, a good chance to get into the last 8 today and gain valuable ranking points but unfortunately he didn't grab it. Lower rank means you are always draw to meet a top 10 player in 1st or 2nd round, which make it difficult to advance deep in a higher grade tournament.

Loh and hybisme like this.
  16. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Both our representatives lost in yesterday's Belgian International semi final.

upload_2021-10-31_1-12-10.png

upload_2021-10-31_1-10-1.png

Loh and hybisme like this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Singapore's Yeo falls to Korean world No. 8 An in French Open q-finals
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Yeo Jia Min lost 21-11, 21-17 to South Korea's An Se-young, on Oct 29, 2021.PHOTO: BADMINTONPHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      OCT 29, 2021, 11:19 PM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - National shuttler and world No. 31 Yeo Jia Min's run in the French Open ended in the quarter-finals after she lost 21-11, 21-17 to South Korea's world No. 8 An Se-young on Friday (Oct 29).

For making the last eight of the US$600,000 (S$809,000) BWF World Tour Super 750 event, the 22-year-old Singaporean claimed a cheque for US$3,300.

She had earlier overcome Belgium's world No. 38 Lianne Tan and Indonesia's 22nd-ranked Gregoria Mariska Tunjung in Paris.

She said: “I’ve made changes in my gameplay recently but it’s still a work in progress. I just have to keep practising to gain more confidence.”

Yeo and Singapore’s top men’s singles player Loh Kean Yew will head to Germany for the Nov 2-7 US$320,000 Hylo Open in Saarbrucken.

National singles coach Kelvin Ho said: “Jia Min showed good progress in playing a more complete game in this week’s tournament, compared to last week’s.

“We can also see some growth in her game play.

“But there are still some fine details to work on and adaptations to different opponents to execute different gameplays.”

At the US$15,000 Belgian International, world No. 230 Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han extended their winning streak to eight matches - including last week's Czech Open final - by beating Sri Lanka's world No. 366 Sachin Dias and Kavidi Sirimannage 21-15, 21-14 to reach the mixed doubles semi-finals.

Also making the last four at the International Challenge-level event, was world No. 99 Jaslyn Hooi, who overcame Japan's world No. 154 Shiori Saito 19-21, 21-12, 21-14 in the women's singles

lodoss and hybisme like this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Singapore's Yeo Jia Min beats Chinese Taipei's Pai in Hylo Open 1st round
    [​IMG]
    National shuttler Yeo Jia Min won Taipei's Pai Yu-po with a 21-7, 21-11 victory in 25 minutes.PHOTO: COURTESY OF BADMINTON PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    • PUBLISHED
      NOV 2, 2021, 11:19 PM SGT
    FACEBOOKTWITTER

SINGAPORE - National shuttler Yeo Jia Min kicked off her campaign at the BWF World Tour Super 500 Hylo Open in winning fashion on Tuesday (Nov 2), making light work of Chinese Taipei's world No. 39 Pai Yu-po with a 21-7, 21-11 victory in 25 minutes.

The 22-year-old will face a familiar foe in Indonesia's world No. 23 Gregoria Mariska Tunjung in the second round of the US$320,000 (S$431,000) tournament in Saarbrücken, Germany on Thursday.

At last week's French Open, Yeo defeated Tunjung in straight sets en route to the quarter-finals as she rose to world No. 26.

In the men's singles, Singapore's top male badminton player Loh Kean Yew will take on top seed and Taiwanese world No. 4 Chou Tien-chen on Wednesday night

(PS: Yesterday, LKY upset top-seed Chou Tien-chen 21-18, 21-13.)
    Results | HYLO Open 2021 (formerly SaarLorLux Open) (bwfbadminton.com)

#1678 Loh, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    lodoss likes this.
  19. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Congrats LKY! Two wins in two weeks over two top ten players is no fluke. Singapura juga boleh :) Recent training must have done him lots of good. I heard that he was training with VA?

lodoss, Loh and Baddyforall like this.
  20. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yep. Few weeks back, Victor Axelsen invited many upcoming talents to Dubai where he chose to settle after coming out of Denmark. This 2 weeks training with Victor improved his Defense to such an extent, i could see the difference in him now . Even Lakshya Sen was also called for Training . Brian Yang as well.
    These 3 players directly benefitted.

lodoss likes this.