New clamps string keeps snapping help!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yippy8888, Oct 26, 2021.

1. yippy8888

yippy8888 New Member

Hi guys,

Short version
    I have a new 4 teeth set of AEF badminton clamps. Diamond dusted. I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out how to adjusted them so that the string doesn't snap. Loosening or tightening them the string either slips through the clamp... (already damaged a plate on one and needed to replace) or just snaps after the clamp right on the tensioning side... What am I missing?

Back story version
    So I have a superstringer t10 coupled with a wise tension head.

I recently needed to replace the clamps as I noticed the strings kept slipping through and obviously fraying or breaking. I knew I needed to replace them soon and as soon as they got to a point the performance just fell off a cliff and I simply couldn't use them anymore.

Sadly tennisman.de were out of stock at the time. But luckily aliexpress had the AEF clamps 12.2mm versions in stock. I got the 4 teeth badminton ones. And also purchased spare diamond coated plates for my old 5 teeth set.

They arrived in 10 days.
    Cannot for the life of me get the string to stop snapping or fraying.

Tried the clamps tight and loose. Replace one set of diamond dusted teeth already. The new 4 teeth set just constantly snap strings. 5 teeth set less bad but I can see it is still damaging the string... When too loose the slipping damaged the string and diamond plate... When not too loose always frays at the point just past the clamp towards the tensioner.

I'm about to throw the towel in. Been stringing for near 10 years now for myself a County player and for different international players up to 32lbs previously with no problem.I'm really struggling with this new problem. And I can't see how to solve it.

String is yonex aerobolt63 and tension is 28lbs.

2. yippy8888

yippy8888 New Member

Slight update... Just thinking a little outside the box. I Can do badminton rackets with just flying clamps, I have 2 yonex ones and 2 hiqua ones. It's just I feel like it's not quite as precise in terms of tension retention as the swivel clamps.

But yeah I simply cannot get them to not damage the strings. Super frustratingas the set of clamps plus spare diamond dusted plates were 120gbp Inc postage.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

More detail to the problem its mainly snapping on the first pull at 6 o'clock when I clamp the opposing string at 12 olock and string is snapping the the 12 o'clock point of the anchoring clamp towards the tension pulling side.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    since u have lots of spare strings now. try this. lower tension, say 20lbs, do the same process, see what tension it doesn't break. remove the string and inspect any damage to the outer layer. Exbolt is pretty thin and coating can be damaged easily. depending on how it is damage, maybe you can try to look at the edge of the clamp, is there a sharp edge anywhere.

also post a photo of the setup.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Does the problem only occur with this string or do you face the same issue with other strings?

That all sounds super weird tbh. I've had the same clamps on my T20 and never had any issues whatsoever with them damaging the strings or setting them up correctly. I figured it was always beneficial to have them set slightly on the tighter side of things. Just avoid slipping at any cost, that's the worst thing you can do to a string.
    The only thing to be done was to clean the diamond coated bits every once in a while to remove the string residue that builds up there. I can't see how you even managed to get them in a state in which you'd have to replace the whole clamp in the first place.

So it only happens at the first pull or does it occur later on too? In general, you should avoid clamping an untensioned string and then pulling against that. Try following this starting process instead in which you apply tension to the string before you clamp it:

#4 s_mair, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. yippy8888

yippy8888 New Member

OK. And just to check. When the string slips... What's left on the clamp. Is that just string residue rather than the diamond plate actually being damaged?

I'll improve my method of starting and get back to you! Thanks guys.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I don't know how yours were looking, but on my clamps it clearly was residue from the string. The diamond dusted surface is eons more robust than the outer coating of the string.

Dennis Li likes this.
  7. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

With new clamps, I would also suggest to check if diamond dusting does not have some crystals sticking out that can damage the string (especially around the edges of the teeth). If you see the string constantly nicked by the clamp that is very likely the case.

You will have to take the clamps apart (be careful not to loose the springs inside) and feel all the inner surface of the clamp's teeth with your hand to detect the problem. Then use something like a needle file to remove the sharp bits...

8. yippy8888

yippy8888 New Member

so im doing this test...

and no matter which way i am doing the adjustment... with the Exbolt63 i cannot get the string to NOT snap... it always snaps at the point of were the marker is... or immediately on the edge of the clamp anyway...... obviously if its loose the entire string coating gets stripped whilst sliding through the clamp...

previous to replacing the clamp (after what you said SMair... i realise maybe my old clamps diamond plates just needed some cleaning and a brush.... anyways... new diamond plate on them now...) have the 4 teeth and 5 teeth set now... i didnt really have any problems of the string snapping at this point so i cant see what i am doing any differently. Same string same tension.

9. yippy8888

yippy8888 New Member

Thanks dude... Took them apart and really. Can't feel anything but took a 3000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and just gave it a light run across the clamp inside... Gave particular attention to the edges to the side of the diamond plating... Will. Give it another go tonight after my match...

10. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Set the clamps very tight. Like 0 space in between. But make sure that you can still push down the lever of the clamp all the way. When you close them you will hear the diamond plates bite into each other. There should really be no space at all maybe even some pressure inside. Then test again.
    Some strings like to separate the coating very easily so eventually you have to squeeze it to really grip the core.

If this works, find a setting that holds but doesn't hurt the string to much.

Had that problem with LN1 sometime.

Also check the string gripper. Put some cardboard in to help gripping the string.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Same question again - does this only happen with Exbolt? Also, if you do the test from the video, make sure to leave at least a 10 cm trails behind the clamp.
    And again, I see you are running into the same issue as you do with you starting process. You clamp the untensioned string and the pull against it. I would love to hear if the situation improves with the optimised starting process.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    or take a video or photos of your process. just words might have missed out some details.

s_mair likes this.
  13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    That's bits of the string that's been rubbed off not the diamond coating.

Do you have any photos of the clamps? I had a similar problem with my old clamps fluffing up my strings and it turned out that one of outter edges of the fingers on one clamp was ever so slightly raised above the others. I just took a small file to sand it down slightly and it worked. Not saying that is whats happening with yours but might be worth taking a look.

I would suggest you do the test in the video above such that you get just enough clamping force without crushing the string. Also use some rubbing alcohol to clean the clamping surfaces as there could be oil/dirt which allows the string to slide. Finally, make sure you follow the first video above where you pull both strings so there is tension between the fingers of the clamp before applying the actual tension otherwise you're more likely to snap a string.

14. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

I'm not sure if this correct, but when I'm doing the fix clamp test with more fragile coated strings (AS or LN1) , it tends to leave a mark on the string, so if I do multiple tests on the same part it will eventually snap.

Never really bothered me before because as soon as I string it in a racket it's completely fine. I always assumed this was because of the angle the string was maybe pulled at and there's racket to act as a straightening buffer.

I'm not getting any major concerns in terms of premature string breakages, but my tensions tend to be lower than the ops. I am doing 28lbs AS for one club member so I would've thought if something was wrong it would show up there.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

15. khoai

khoai Regular Member

If fray was visible outside of clamp, string was definitely slipping. Either clamp needs to be tightened even more or it doesn't have enough holding power. But that's normal for the first pull since there's no opposite force to counter the first pull. What you can do is using flying or starting clamp right behind the fixed clamp to add more holding power. I sometimes encounters similar problem with thin strings and high tension (29-30lbs) but I can tell it right away because the Wise head does not stop moving/adjusting. In that case, release tension immediately before damage is done.

16. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

i like many videos of badminton central, but this video is nonsens! Never, never do something like this. No matter if you have a machine for 8000 or 1000 dollar.
    This is not what the clamps are made fore. If you string rackets you will never have this force on a clamp! If you start stringing there is more force with the first string as during the stringing process. So EVERY professional tennis stringer uses a starting clamp behind the clamp to secure this. I´m not professional in badminton stringing but i think it is the same there.

If you do it like that you will damage you clamp, espacially if the clamp is maybe not adjusted tight enough at one test. If the string slips through the diamond coating will be damaged and your clamp is not holding the string as it should. I don´t understand how sombody do this dump test.
    If you want to test a clamp mount a racket string 2 or 3 strings and then fix the clamp and test it. This is the real usage of the clamp. Again no matter if you have a 8000 Dollar machine and the best clamps on the world, NEVER NEVER test a clamp like you can see on this video.

stradrider likes this.
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why not? if the clamps are designed to hold tennis tension, holding 20-30lbs of badminton tension should be a walk in the park. Whether it is directly pulling on the clamp or indirectly pulling through a grommet should be non-issue.

18. stradrider

I think, the problem I experienced, that in order to hold 35 lbs of direct tension the clamp needs to be tightened way more than it is safe for the badminton string. Strength needed just to hold the string after it was tensioned is much lower.

After starting mains with the starting clamp, I tension three strings in one direction and only then go the other way. That way slipping at the clamp when pulling first mains is not a problem any more.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    That begs the question. If you are stringing mains at 35lbs, and the clamp isn't setup to clamp 35lbs and yet it didn't slip, what tension are you actually getting?

20. stradrider

I would think that in fact the string never pulls back with actual continuous 35 lbs power unlike the tensioner.

I would argue even more - whatever you do there no way you can have actual 35lbs in the final tension of the string, even if you are able to hold it 100% with the clamp? Would you disagree with that??