Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I think he has legit injury issues. That’s really his biggest obstacle.

Woesi likes this.
  2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

KM and SYQ are two different character that influenced by many factors to build up their respective personality.

Well, Kento Momota isn't his toughest foe but Viktor Axelsen, his total offensive play looks like can't break the Dane code, Sudirman Cup quarterfinal was latest evidence.

3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

He 'needs' this injury or atleast he needs to pretend it. To be honest, if SYQ was not missing from the thomas cup final, china would have got good chances to get the cup.
    Maybe SYQ was maneuvering himself in a dead-end. The worst case would look like this:
    1. SYQ begrudged Momota a clean victory, pretending to be injured, but not even calling a doc to the field.
    2. Not prepared or thinking about the sh*tstorm afterwards, building up his 'injury' story.
    3. Miss from thomas final to hold up 'injury' story.
    4. China team is for sure not amused about losing thomas cup, no way back option, keep injury story going.
    5. Injury story dictates to keep out of tournaments the next weeks (denmark,french).

Maybe he just entangled himself in a frust reaction and finds no easy way out, who knows.

4. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

SYQ has said after the Sudirman Cup that he could no longer be injury-free, so it is likely that he never really 'fully recovered', that he is always playing with some kind of pain on his body (kind of like Goh Liu Ying with her consistent lower back pain). With that presumption he would not be able to play intensive matches in such a tight schedule anyway, I wouldn't speculate too much on him not playing these tournaments as a punishment.

He has unfortunately had a injury-laden career for someone his age... I don't think he can consistently compete at the highest level anymore.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On looking back, on SYQ's injury issue, his biggest mistake, possibly going against the advice of his doctor, was to try to make a comeback just three months after his ankle surgery which was sustained at the All England in the match with Anders Antonsen.

As it happened, he was too anxious to resume competition in a bid to improve his world ranking, specifically, The Race to Tokyo Standing, so as to get a seeding and avoid meeting the top players in the early rounds. In the process, he actually made things worse, it led to prolonged complications, so much so that in the lead up to the Tokyo Olympics, even Xia Xuanze wasn't sure about his preparedness and form.

In fact, in the domestic tournaments and simulation matches prior to the Olympics, his overall performance was mixed, even troubled by a few of his fellow juniors, on the whole definitely nowhere near his best. I think the extended uncertainty and accumulated stress , exacerbated by the pandemic, caused him self-doubt and aggravated an already stressful situation leading to a degree of nervous breakdown that affected his performance both physically and mentally, hence his occasional flashes of brilliance but otherwise mostly somewhat lackadaisical results.

Even his mentor, Sun Jun's pep talks to believe in himself fell on deaf ears, simply failed to motivate him.

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

He made comeback in Macau Open (end October 2019) lost to Sitthikom Thammasin in final. Then All England (March 2020) he lost to Axelsen in quarterfinal round.
    upload_2021-10-26_19-12-4.png

How about Tokyo OG (July 2021), his performance against VA also disrupted by recurring injury (once again)?
    I guess it's about mental problem is playing bigger role than physical aspect on his case.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, his prolonged less than optimal physical condition exacerbated his mental condition. I noticed at the Tokyo Olympics, he played quite well to beat Jonatan Christie 21-11, 21-9, then the next round he lost tamely to Viktor Axelsen by the identical score of 21-13, a reflection of his on-again, off-again form.

Maybe sports psychotherapy might be helpful for him. There's little time to waste, almost one-and-a-half year to two-year gone, he really needs to get out of the rut as soon as possible, or it might develop into something more serious, such as persistent depressive disorder (PPD) , even depression. Just saying, I'm no expert.

CLELY likes this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

His legs are way too meaty, especially his quads are nuts.

Maybe the ankles can't take the burden of the bulk

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You see, how Shi Yuqi played at the Sudirman Cup final blowing Momota away (apart from G2) was in stark contrast to how he lost to the same opponent barely a fortnight later at the Thomas Cup final - it's like two completely different player.

I can only attribute what happened in the latter case to SYQ' s meltdown due to some mental issue much more than the physical. He was obviously in distress in G2 of that fateful second match.

It's not far-fetched for me to say that if CBA did not handle SYQ's case with caution and sensitivity, patient understanding and the fullest support, more out of carelessness and ignorance than anything, who knows, he might suddenly quit badminton if he repeatedly fails to get his confidence and his feeling for the game back. That would be such a shame, a great pity.

That's why I feel he requires professional help, from a sports psychologist, for example. Of course, care and concern and emotional support from coaches and friends help too.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think once Chen Long goes into semi-retired mode playing odd major tournaments hither and thither

& Shi Yuqi becomes the Superstar of the Team/ New Golden Face of CHN, he will get his mojo back.

Time is right for Shi Yuqi to become The Talisman of Chinese Badminton

Justin L likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

May your prognostication come true.

Shi Yuqi's fate is in his own hands.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If he has continual pain, that’s a bad sign. Sometimes injuries can lead to chronic pain syndrome. You heal physically but somehow the nerves misfire and are sending persistent signals of pain.

13. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

I am against the idea of retiring at game point. Even if he can't continue, he should not stop at game point. Win or lose not crucial, sportsmanship important for the game.

buibui2, Hbmao and nokh88 like this.
  14. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

SYQ is falling apart physically and all messed up mentally. He should at least take a very long break to heal both his body and mind, and then assess whether he wants to stay in the game.

Give him credit for winning that thrilling Sudirman Cup match. Other than that, he has been very erratic on and off court. He is not doing himself any favor by continuing his current behavior. The burden of being the No. 1 MS player in China may have crushed him, along with his unfortunate injuries.

It would be interesting to see if he will take part in the World Championships, or will have a different mindset when he shows up.

buibui2, toonbaka and Justin L like this.
  15. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

As Fox said, Shi Yuqi's thighs are very strong. The thrust they generate has to be transmitted to the ground through the ankles.

Best I can make out from his own post (auto-translation), his left ankle is subpar, and he has to somehow compensate by thrusting with his right leg. But, during the match with Momota, he had bloody blisters on his right foot... so, both legs were handicapped.

3 years of injury torment, a glimpse of light with National Games win and win over Momota, then disappointment. Top level pressure, possible disagreement with coach over earlier retirement in match with Momota... add to that another layer -- intense pain.

Somewhere in his post, he adds some words that auto-translate into something like this -- 'Although in the interview I joked that it was not a loss, I caught myself crying to death in the toilet.'

Someone able to read Chinese, might want to correct any misinterpretations by me of his post. It can be found at https://www.badmintoncn.com/news.php?id=24178&from=bbs.

buibui2, Cheung, skhai91 and 4 others like this.
  16. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

It wouldn't be fun if both Wang Zhengming and Shi Yuqi both retire because of reasons not primarly related to physical reasons. Not like it's always that much easier to fix the mental part at all, though.

17. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

18. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

What was the reason from Wang Zheng ming ?

19. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Absolutely.....if he had just finished the game, there won't be questions on his character, integrity, iq, heart.

buibui2 likes this.
  20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Until now, it's still a mystery.

Off topic : My office was at Boon Keng Road and used to have meals at the food court at the corner of Bendemeer Road.

skhai91 likes this.