Tool Tray location

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Nov 16, 2021.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I don't think we have touched on this topic before, as most cases a tool tray is either not available, or there is no choice in their location.

In my Gamma, the tool tray is right below the turntable. While I am sure for a upright crank machine that's the "logical" place to put it. The string constantly get stuck around the tray, or tangle with the tools in the tray.

Most high end machine have the tray in front of the tensioner. I haven't used them enough to know if that's the optimal place for it.

However, if you have the choice of putting the anywhere around the machine, where would you prefer the tool tray to be?

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Not sure where I would prefer the tool tray, but I know I put the cutters on the cabinet next to me when I'm stringing, while the machine would be on the table in front of me. Before I would put the cutters as far up the table as I could within reaching distance, and importantly, with the edges facing toward me and the machine. That way if the string somehow gets over there, I never accidently pull it into the sharp edges.

The other tools I frequently need are in front of the machine. Probably the best place, but then my machine is a table top machine, so it's probably a different story.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The main criteria for determining the good location are:

1. out of the way of the string and also human movement
    2. need to be within proximity of the stringer for quick access.

They seem to contradict each other a little. Perhaps above the machine ?

4. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

On my X-Els gamma, the tray is under tensioner and I do like it much more then when it was on my old crank like yours in the front of the table. Gamma table never catches anything.

However I have a problem with the Gamma "X" table that has a brake under it and it is very annoying - catches the string all the time... I have cut shorter the brake handle, but thinking to take it out completely...

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    re: brake. I assume you have the crank version with horizontal bar. I wrapped tape around the brake and the horizontal bar. that fixes string catching there.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am thinking of mounting a tray below the WISE, sticking out sideways towards me. Like the tradition location for integrated electronic tensioner machine. It will have to be shaped smoothly to not catch the string though. That's most ergonomic as it is at comfortable height against the arm. Otherwise, something more radical will be a tray above the tensioner. It can also serve as a light mount. The eyes aren't getting any better as one ages.

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Never tried it but like the high end Victor machine tool tray that folds out. That looks pretty cool and useful. Wouldn't mind having a sodering iron too to flare grommets.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

8. khoai

khoai Regular Member

I just use a cart with wheels. I can put it anywhere I want, pull it, push it, kick it, sit on it, no matter.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I've removed the try on my machine since it constantly caught the string around the edges. I only use the tray one that's on the stand but still the string is wrapping around it from time to time. So I'm actually thinking of an alternative option to store the tools nearby.

[​IMG]

I think the problem is not that there is a tray on the machine or where exactly it is, but it's the way how it's integrated in the structure and bodywork of the machine. That's where the highend machines really seem to shine for me since their tool trays do not offer any extra sharp corners or edges that are prone to catch the string.

@khoai
    Can you post a picture of your cart & wheels solution?

10. stradrider

gamma-stringing-machine-x-els.jpg
    It's hard to see, but it's a black box under the table and there is a few centimeters handle sticking out...

11. stradrider

The placement of the table is very good, but it is a bit small so I am also using the surfaces around the tensioner, starting clamp, and awl have their place there...

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I had something similar on mine. Unbelievably annoying so I removed that brake handle as well. Never needed the brake anyways.

Funny, I do the exact same thing with the starting clamp. It sits perfectly right in front of the WISE without interfering in any way. :)

stradrider likes this.
  13. stradrider

Yes!

And often the string gets wrapped in between the brake box and the the center of the table that has gear shaped teeth for the brake. When the string gets trapped in there it is not easy to remove it safely it is worrisome that it can get damaged in there...

s_mair likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Luckily that part is completely covered on my machine. And they were smart enough to make the handle easily removeable by simply screwing it off.

15. stradrider

That's nice

16. khoai

khoai Regular Member

It should be globally available from... Ikea :D. I added a wire running across the mid level to hold string reels.

[​IMG]
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/raskog-utility-cart-black-90333976/

emjay and s_mair like this.
  17. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

kakinami, stradrider and s_mair like this.
  18. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    That Gamma brake handle really annoys me, I always get string caught there. I wish it were shorter or on the left side. The other place that string gets caught on mine is the feeding hole for the string measurer. I don't have any issues with the tool tray as it's quite smooth on the sides. The good thing about the higher end Gammas is they have extra storage at the right side of the machine, which I use to store spare parts and less frequently used tools.

stradrider likes this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You are really on to something here…

kakinami likes this.
  20. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Business idea: Stringing machine + minifridge combo-deal, with integrated bottle opener.

Only for cooolest of stringers.

Kaelhdris, s_mair and speCulatius like this.