Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

As part of Saishunkan's new Youtube offensive, they've released a fairly interesting video of the training and facilities, narrated by ex player and new video MC Yukino Nakai.

KhoaHa likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

What the hell is a 'Youtube Offensive'?

3. Isaac goh

Isaac goh New Member

Will yuta watanabe still play in MD?

4. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Seems every WD has a player named “matsu” (pine tree) :)

kurako likes this.
  5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

There has been no news about this at all. I imagine that his corporate team, Unisys, will offer an employment contract to a promising MD high school graduate, and they will take it from there. It will be interesting to see who he is matched up with in this year's truncated S/J League tournament.

6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The M & Q list for the All Japan Championships, which will be held at the end of December, has been published. One of the surprises is that Fukushima will be pairing with Marusugi Bluvic team-mate, Sugimura Minami.

In last year's AJC, due to concerns over COVID-19, the qualifying round was not held. This year should be more interesting, as it will give us more of an idea about up-and-coming talent, ... which Japan is in dire need of.

7. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Looks like Okuhara, Nagahara, and Takahata will also be playing. Maybe we'll be seeing these ladies back on tour again comes January.
    I would not be surprised if we see a few upsets this year. The heavy favorites will be dead tired by the end of December.

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep. This is the most important tournament as far as national team selection is concerned. If you don't make a showing, you may lose your spot on the team. I think that Takahata is in real danger on that front.

True, everyone will be fatigued. Having said that, there is a huge gulf in levels between the top and the rest. I can only see national team peers having a chance to topple last year's champions.

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

wish Nishimoto lose his slot at team A, so Nishimoto will come down to team B and play super tour 300.

This is the way to get some achievements.

10. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

I don't know if that's considered "achivement"

11. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

For someone who has not won a single title, if winning a Super 300 is not an achievement, then I don't know what is. He's been losing finals even in small tournaments since 2013 where he lost to Ivanov (yes, Ivanov).

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  12. yuon

yuon Regular Member

I understand how you feel, but Nishimoto's career will only go downhill if he were to lose his spot on Team A. He's already entering the tail end of his career, and, I might be wrong, but I can't think of any player demoted to Team B who has managed to make a successful comeback to Team A in recent years. There are quite a few players eyeing his spot, mainly Koga and Naraoka, but Tanaka Yushi and Hatano Riku are also threatening.

In my opinion, Nishimoto is in danger this year. He already failed to make the SF last year, and hasn't had much international result to show for this year either. If he were to fail to enter the SF this year also, there's a good chance that you will get your wish granted.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/11/29/national/japan-omicron-entry-restrictions/

..."The entry ban will not affect Japanese nationals or foreign residents returning to the country, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said, but those returning from designated countries where the variant has been reported will need to isolate at a government-designated facility for three to 10 days."...

i hope bird japan is already back from bali. i don't think the new omicron variant has been reported in indonesia anyhow, but you never really know.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

All those qualified for the World Championships are slated to fly directly from Indonesia to Spain following the World Tour Finals. There will be no stop-over in Japan.

If Bird Japan can actually make it to Spain, I am wondering what will happen after the Team returns to Japan on December 21. The All Japan Championships commences on December 24..., and an omicron-variant infection has already surfaced in Spain, with implications for mandatory quarantine.

#2474 kurako, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    KhoaHa likes this.
  15. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^ postpone

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    New players get a chance at the titles on offer

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I don't have anything against new players winning titles, but the Japanese delegation flying to Spain is huge. For example, MS players comprise Momota, Tsuneyama, Nishimoto, and Watanabe Koki. Sure, new players would get a chance at a title, ... but this scenario would hardly reflect anything close to real ability. More dangerously, Japan's national team selection criteria provide that AJC champions and runners-up automatically earn a place on the national team. With team numbers being capped, this would create a whole host of issues.

Unless exceptions can be made with respect to quarantine regulations, the only solution will be to re-schedule the whole tournament. But after all these preparations....

Cheung and Gacon1234star like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Delaying risks accusations of favouritism especially as the date has been set for quite a while.

The solution chosen by the association is going to be interesting.

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I believe that the NBA is currently negotiating with the relevant ministries to see whether anything can be done with regard to the quarantine restrictions.

nokh88 and Cheung like this.
  20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

It has just now been reported that the thirty members of Bird Japan who are slated to participate in the World Championships will not be able to participate in the All Japan Championships (AJC) upon their return, if the tournament is held as scheduled. Negotiations with the relevant agencies to maintain a three-day quarantine proved unsuccessful.

This is a huge setback for the NBA. The AJC this year was going to be televised, and spectators, for the first time in close to two years, were going to be allowed into the venue. If no top names are there to play, then these efforts to resuscitate badminton will largely be in vain.

trizzforce and KhoaHa like this.