Astrox 100 ZZ vs Astrox 99 pro vs Astrox 88d pro vs Astrox 88s pro

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nihal, Nov 20, 2021.

?

Which do you say is the racket I would like that would meet my conditons?

1. 100zz

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 99pro

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. 88dpro

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  4. 88spro

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. others(in comments)

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I know what you mean with the hollow feeling with the Ax77. I have done some sessions now with some lead tape (about 0.5 g at 12 o'clock and 0.5 g at 6 o'clock). The feeling was much more solid and smashes were better. However this also made it feel a bit softer.
    I also got a 88DP, which I have played with on the latest three sessions. It's not super easy to switch between these two, but on the third session it felt like I became friends with it. I just need to move my hands faster to activate and time it.
    I mostly play singles and think speed and power is perfect for me. Really like the feeling of this racket. It's not quite as easy as the 77, but more friendly than the 1st edition 88D (which actually is a different racket).

Nihal likes this.
  2. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Very wise words
    I appreciate you changing my mindset cuz I was thinking that my racket was slow but I actually could return all the quick smashes and fast drives.

Anyways I have decided to go for the 88d pro and compare it with my 77, and I will see which one suits me and buy another one of it as my backup.

Thanks all

3. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

So are you saying that the 88dp 4u is more head heavy and harder to move than the ax77 4u?
    Cuz I want a racket that is fast as the 77 and just as powerful as the 77
    Also can you just give the quick differences between ax77 and 88dp, like which has more ower, easier to more etc?

4. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I have been dry-swinging the 77 (without lead tape) and 88dp side by side and I can't say that the 88dp is harder to move. It might even be a tiny bit faster than the 77. They are both box frame profiles, so none of these are fast like a Victor sword frame. But if my eyes are right I can see that the lower half and the part around the t-joint on the 88dp is a little bitt thinner than on the 77.
    As I wrote in the pm too you, I think the main difference is the stiffness of the 88dp (which requires a little faster acceleration, but still not very stiff), the more solid feeling, and the longer handle (shorter shaft). Over all I like it very much.
    As always, your body will tell you which one of the rackets will work best for you and having two different rackets can be confusing for the timing of the shots. So try them out and commit to one (or a pair) of them. Anyone can get used to any racket, but stiffness can be a limitation. Though, I don't think the stiffness of the 88dp would be too much for anyone who has a proper technique.

Nihal likes this.
  5. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Yea, true
    I decided to stick with eh Ax77 was I like it and I'll get a 2nd one for consistency reasons.
    I had a 4 hour long tainign session today and IMO I played really well compared to the previous weeks, so its not about the racket, just the mental aspect and technical details of your game.
    Anyways I appreciate the time you have put into writing this long review, hope I've not wasted your time.
    Thanks

Simeon and Swat like this.
  6. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

I’m deciding between a Ax99 pro or 88d pro. Is 88d pro less stiff than 99 pro? Which is easier to clear/smash? Is power similar?

7. savedqueen

savedqueen New Member

Answering your question, 99 Pro's shaft feels the same as 88D pro but the heavier head guides user to a more powered swing. And playing in a doubles setting, agility is greatly reduce for repeated smashes and clearance as compared to using 88D Pro.

But I dont think you should compare shaft's stiffness purely at this level of racquets to determine any results. Both racquets are built differently