Coach Rexy picks Indons Candra and Sigit to win in Anaheim

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by ants, Aug 11, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    SEPANG: National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky is tipping the veteran Indonesian pair of Candra Wijaya-Sigit Budiarto to win a second World Championships title in Anaheim next week.

“I think Candra-Sigit will be the new world champions. They are on top form going into the competition and I can see the hunger in their eyes each time they enter the court,” said Rexy, who quit the job as England coach to join the Malaysian ranks last month.

Rexy, who won Indonesia's first Olympic men's doubles gold medal partnering Ricky Subagja in 1996, added the Candra-Sigit were a vastly experience combination.

They are the second seeds behind world number one Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen of Denmark.

“Besides Eriksen and Lundgaard Hansen, the Chinese pair of Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun are also strong contenders but I see Candra-Sigit as the favourite,” said Rexy before leaving with the team for California yesterday.

“They know what it takes to win in a world championships. Winning in a world championships and in an Open tournament is not the same.”

Candra-Sigit, who have been in the team for almost 10 years, have picked up three titles this year, including the back-to-back Singapore and Malaysia Opens last month. Their first title of the year was the Swiss Open in March.

Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun are the reigning All-England champions while Eriksen-Lundgaard won two Open titles in Japan and South Korea this year. The young Chinese pair, who reached the semi-finals in Birmingham two years ago, are tipped to play against the Indonesian pair in the semi-finals.

Candra-Sigit blossomed into a top class pair at the tail end of Rexy's career. They won the world title in Glasgow in 1997 – beating Malaysia's Cheah Soon Kit-Yap Kim Hock 8-15, 18-17, 15-7 in a thrilling final.

However, the pair had to split after Sigit was suspended for a drug offence. Candra went on to team up with Tony Gunawan and they won the 2000 Sydney Olympics gold medal.

Candra reunited with Sigit after Gunawan left to settle down in United States and they were the runners-up in the last world championships in Birmingham in 2003, losing to Danes Jonas Rasmussen-Lars Paaske 7-15, 15-13, 13-15 in the final.

Rexy also took a swipe at Indonesia for not sending the young pair of Markis Kidho-Hendra Setiawan even though they were qualifiers.

Besides Candra-Sigit, the other Indonesian pairs in the fray are fourth seeds Hadiyanto Luluk-Alven Yulianto and 10th seeds Flandy Limpele-Eng Hian.

“They qualified and it is not a right to deny them the place. Win or lose, they deserve to get the experience in playing in a world championships,” said Rexy.

HERE WE COME: The national badminton team off to the US for the World Badminton Championships in Anaheim, California from Aug 15-21.

Attached Files:

2. ants

ants Regular Member

I hope he can see the hunger in our malaysian players as well.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

I hope his predictions will come true. :)

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

He was close.

Anyone know what Candra/Sigit 's old coach is doing now?

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Anyone knows who the lady is left of LCW ?

6. jumpshot

jumpshot Regular Member

looks like Wong Pei Tty. Wonder why Chor Hooi Yee and her partner is not in the picture.

7. jumpshot

jumpshot Regular Member

here's a pic my sis took.

Attached Files:

#7 jumpshot, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005