Advice on purchasing a stringing machine and tips

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by badmintonpog1, Nov 18, 2021.

1. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    I am interested in stringing badminton rackets. I've have looked at Badminton Central's guide on stringing tools and @ckyew's video on stringing tools. I've also watched stringing videos on Youtube (@s_mair, @ckyew, @kwun, and @kakinami mainly) but need to look more in depth in it :oops:. I believe I am capable of stringing as I really like playing badminton and have patience! :D

Why do I want to string? Main reason is because I play badminton a lot and have it as a hobby :rolleyes:

My dad is willing to buy one as Thanksgiving/Black Friday is coming soon. His budget is $1,097 USD after looking at Li-Ning's stringing machine deal (comes with tools and a free Li-Ning No.5 reel).

I am deciding to either get the Li-Ning LNX-M1000 ($1,097) crank machine OR Penta Premium Stringing 3600 dropweight machine ($679.13 with tools & Toalson ION 65 200m string reel). I want some advice on deciding either purchases and what to be aware about when stringing. Links and pictures of the machine are down below.

Li-Ning LNX-M1000: https://shopbadmintononline.com/badminton-stringing-machine-manual-lnx-m1000-p-530.html

badminton-stringing-machine-LNX-M1000-B.jpg

Penta Premium Stringer 3600: https://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/penta-premium-stringer-3600-stringing-machine/
    premium_stringer_3600_stringing_machine__96149.1440344527.1280.1280.jpg

If you believe you can find better deals that can ship to the US let me know! I want to know from stringers all around the world on this forum. :D

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Both machines appear to be made by the same OEM. And frankly, 1100 bucks for a "normal quality" crank machine like that Li-Ning there is just too much.

The PremiumStringer is a best seller, but there has been a number of issues that has been reported in here from users (incorrect calibration, issues with the clamps slipping). Try using the search function, I'm sure you'll find the threads somewhere.

Other options to look at:

Gamma X-6FC (https://www.gammasports.com/GAMMA-X-6FC)
    Gamma Progression II 602 (https://www.gammasports.com/Progression-602-FC)
    Both dead solid machines and quality wise better than the PS3600 in both base machine and clamps. Not sure if there are other dealers in the US that have them available on stock.

In case you are willing to import from the EU:
    Superstringer T15 (https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...Stringingmachine-SUPERSTRINGER-T15-green.html)
    Superstringer T80 (https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...Stringingmachine-SUPERSTRINGER-T80-black.html)
    StringMaster 4000 (https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...ungsmaschine-TennisMan-StringMaster-4000.html)

Superstringer currently have the best bang for the buck value that I know. Solid quality, solid clamps and good semi-automatic bases. The StringMaster has a little bit better build quality if you look at the details, slightly better clamps but only normal clamp bases. The next step upwards would be the StringMaster Deluxe (https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...ng-machine-TENNISMAN-StringMaster-Deluxe.html), but this most likely ends up clearly over budget once shipping and taxes/customs is applied.

I know that Tennisman is shipping worldwide but you might have to e-mail them to get the current shipping costs. Note that the prices in the shop are incl. 19% German VAT, so this would come off on export to the US but there will be taxes and customs charges added on import.

3. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    Thank you for your valuable advice @s_mair! Considering the free shipping cost (from Gamma) I am looking at the Gamma stringing machines, especially Progression II 602FC (as it is a tad bit cheaper). Plus tools and free shipping. I am going to buy the Progession II 602FC.
    Before I buy it..
    My question is that it says "Includes Tools (Pathfinder Awl, Straight Awl, Hex Wrench Set, Straight Pliers)". Is there anything else I need?

What stringing reel would you recommend (bit of a dumb question, but I want to know :D)?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badmintonpog1 likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yup, a decent cutter is always a good thing. And maybe add a Yonex flying clamp - they come in super handy when things get tricky and as a cheap starting clamp replacement.

Oh, and not sure if the machine comes with load spreaders. If not, then that’s a must have!

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would recommend if you can do the math and if you think you can get people to string for, you should go for an electronic machine. If you are only going to use for personal use then something portable and easy to store should do the trick. If you think you can make money from stringing then I would tell you to spend more money and get a better machine. You will be more happier in the long run and you will have better quality string jobs from an electronic machine like a Ghost 2 from Alpha Racquet Sports. I doubt you might want to spend over $8500 for a Yonex Protech 8 Deluxe, $3600 might sound like a lot but if you can talk your parents into investing in a machine, you will be a whole lot happier stringing on a better machine.

Let's say maybe you can get 3 rackets a week and you can charge $8 for labor $24 a week ÷$3600= 150 weeks, a little under 3 years. $10 labor $30 a week ÷ $3600= 120 weeks a little over 2 years. If there is a market where you live, a club, I am sure you can drum up a little business from your friends and word of mouth. $8 labor you need to string 450 rackets and $10 labor 360 rackets. I live in Japan and my business is word of mouth because I csnnot communicate well here, but I have strung over 200 rackets at home this year, down from my usual 3000+ when I had a shop in the US. Lets go low numbers maybe 2 a week your first year 2×52=104, lets round down to say maybe 80 rackets your first year. 2nd year lets say you do 120. Maybe your 3rd year picks up and you do 200+, so in 3 years it puts you at 400 rackets, maybe in your 3rd month you are clost to another 100 rackets putting you in the profit area, and you have a machine that you are proud to use.

Go big or go home. Look at the glass as half full. Good luck if you ever become a racket stringer!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

7. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    Hmm.. I do plan to bring the machine to college. The college I want to go to doesn't have badminton :(. If I want to make profit there, I have to string Tennis rackets (they got tennis only). :oops: I'll try to find a cutter on amazon along with flying clamps and starting clamp.

I was thinking that I did need load spreaders! Yonex flying clamp, load spreaders, cutters, and a starting clamp should be what I need left.

Thank you for giving an example on the math for how long it would take to pay off the machine! TBH I don't think I would know if you never explained it :confused:. Of spending big or go home, I'm going to test my patience on stringing only have a dropweight :D. Along the way I'll buy the Wise 2086 when my profit reaches around the price, so it takes less time. I had one of my friends purchase the Momota SHB65ZM2's from your shop, Alex gave my friend a discount for the shoes!

kakinami likes this.
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

The shop is actually Alex's now, I sold it to him because I moved to Japan. You are really going to test your paitence with a drop weight! I hope you can find the drive to string, you will find it gratifying playing with your own work!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

9. Rednasj

Rednasj New Member

Hi guys,

I'm also looking for a stringing machine, budget is €1000 - €1500. I'm quite new to the subject and will be stringing around 5 rackets a week.
    Which machines are recommended for these specifications? Dropweight or electronic can be both, but I want a durable and precise working machine.

Thanks in advance.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You’re located in Europe, correct?

If so, and if you want to take things seriously, there’s the StringMaster Deluxe which is my clear recommendation.

Either directly with a WISE electronic tensioner:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...sMan-StringMaster-Deluxe-Elektronik-oxid.html

Or start with the drop weight and add the motor later if you feel like it:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...gsmaschine-TennisMan-StringMaster-Deluxe.html

Top of the line build quality, best in class clamps and bases. I still can’t find any flaw or weakness whatsoever on this machine.

If you want to check out some other alternatives, just look at me first post in this thread.

emjay and thyrif like this.
  11. Andy Ngo

Andy Ngo New Member

Hi S_mair, I am about to buy a superstringer T15 like you suggested. I am going to be the stringer for my badminton club but I do have a few tennis friends that I might string for. Do you recommend I get the T15 with the universal pliers or the badminton pliers. Is the universal pliers good enough for badminton? or should I just focus on one thing?

Thanks

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'd recommend the badminton version. I've used them to string tennis rackets as well and they had no issues in holding tennis strings (my maximum was 55 lbs.). The only difference is the number of teeth - the universal ones come with 5 teeth, the badminton ones with 4. Construction and materials are identical.

13. Pantoufle

Pantoufle New Member

Hello s_mair :)

I'm not totally agree with you.

First thing, on the second version of StringMaster Deluxe, you can't clamp near to the frame around the side supports.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's why i recommand to switch it by chudek support (higher version). Pictures better than words, i let you compare the differences...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second thing, i can't understand why the bottom of main support don't have plastic. In fact, the load spreader that you get with machine are sometimes incompatible with the racket (Carlton Vapour trail tour, Kawasaki king k8 etc). That's why, sometines i used Yonex H-piece at the bottom. On Carlton vapour trail, i have to use on the top and top the Yonex H-piece !

Then, i can't unerstand too why the main support are so "little"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This main support could be better.

Clamps are very well, but why 5 teeths ??? In some case, he's not the best idea...

To conclude, my first machine was a PS3600 (second hand), i don't want to return on this one, because this StringMaster Deluxe's a really great machine. Check video of s_mair ;)

mokomima likes this.
  14. Pantoufle

Pantoufle New Member

We can't edit post, sorry... 1 Ancien support encore.jpg 1 Ancien support gros plan.jpg 1 Ancien support.jpg 2 Chudek gros plan.jpg 2 Chudek vue d'ensemble.jpg 2 Chudek.jpg 2 Manche avec chudek.jpg 3 Yonex H  Piece vs main support.jpg 3 Yonex H Piece vs Main support v2.jpg 1 Ancien support encore.jpg 1 Ancien support gros plan.jpg 1 Ancien support.jpg 2 Chudek gros plan.jpg 2 Chudek vue d'ensemble.jpg 2 Chudek.jpg 2 Manche avec chudek.jpg 3 Yonex H  Piece vs main support.jpg 3 Yonex H Piece vs Main support v2.jpg 1 Ancien support encore.jpg 1 Ancien support gros plan.jpg 1 Ancien support.jpg 2 Chudek gros plan.jpg 2 Chudek vue d'ensemble.jpg 2 Chudek.jpg 2 Manche avec chudek.jpg 3 Yonex H  Piece vs main support.jpg 3 Yonex H Piece vs Main support v2.jpg

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As with everything in life, there is always room for improvements. Perfect just doesn’t exist.

I still have the first Gen. side supports that are a little less bulky. I still think that the updated ones are fully acceptable. The Chudek supports are of course still close-to perfect in design.

Also, the latest version appears to have red plastic bits with a concave shape on the main supports. I have glued a piece of plastic on my 6 o’clock support to avoid using s load spreader there.

The 5 teeth clamps never bothered me really. The spacing fits smoothly into most commonly used string patterns. I prefer the extra contact surface of the fifth tooth.

#15 s_mair, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Pantoufle likes this.
  16. Pantoufle

Pantoufle New Member

Red plastic are on tennis mains supports

s_mair likes this.
  17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That needs to be changed then. For the 6 o’clock position, these would the (close-to) perfect solution.

Pantoufle likes this.
  18. Rednasj

Rednasj New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm seriously considering to buy a machine from StringMaster. I only want to string badminton rackets with it. Do you know any of the differences between the Stringmaster Deluxe and the StringMaster 3700 Pro?

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The turntable is smaller on the 3700 which makes the whole machine a bit more compact. I don't know what's the difference then on the 3700 Pro, best would be to write them an e-mail first. Also, it seems as if the 3700 is not on stock and this could easily take a couple of months until they'll be back.