Opponent saying thank you...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by visor, Dec 3, 2021.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

... when you make an error. Eg. serve/smash into net, hit out etc.

What's your initial feeling about this when someone does this to you? I have 2 players that I play against occasionally that does this to others. I'm quite sure they're not completely expressing their gratitude, rather they're rubbing in the error.

Got on my nerves initially, but I've learned to ignore it and it slide and not disturb my concentration. I just tell myself to focus to get back the next point.

What's your take on it?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

kwun likes this.
  2. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Ha! I've heard other people from other countries complaining about this. But here in China it's pretty common. Like, you can say it the first time you are playing against a stranger, and we all just laugh. So maybe it has a bit of a cultural context and depends on the country. Sometimes when we make a dumb mistake ourselves we tell our opponent "you're welcome!"
    Though in serious situations, like a competition or a tournament, no one says it. Just more during club night games.

Cheung, xzavire, boby and 1 other person like this.
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I've had ppl do that too, but I usually take it as humor and a bit of banter instead of taking it too seriously.

Cheung, visor and boby like this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

True, if I know them well, I'd usually say "you owe me coffee later!" But in more serious games, I know it's just their way of trying to get under someone's skin.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

true. Remember how Kevin always acting like a jerk:mad:.
    When the opponent get provoked & trying to smash on his face, they end up losing coz their play getting bad & to much focused on Kevin which are God of Speed.
    But when the opponent can keep their head cool, they can still kicking the games.

As for me, yeah sometimes to joke or provoke my friend. Some other times its one of my way to open my lower lv friend eye about his mistake coz telling him casually wont work. Funny this way work better than telling them your shot is bad, you do it wrong, dont do that when.... o_O
    They are more want to learn when im make fun of their mistake. Thank you... Yeah, thanks for the half ass clear. One more time please... Die you dumb.

Cheung and visor like this.
  6. viver

viver Regular Member

Other than the "Thank you" comment, you could add the "Merry Christmas"; "Santa was here"; "Kung Hei Fat Choi..."; "Delicious Gai Pei (drumstick)", and so on. It could surely "hurt" your confidence for the just played 'perfect shot', but hey, return the favor when the opponent makes a mistake :). That's what is needed in the social games, it makes the competition a little bit more fun.
    In serious games, well, it may affect me in days past, but it just make you a bit more focused and determined to beat that guy. ;)

visor and Cheung like this.
  7. lurker

lurker Regular Member

mind games
    i think happens everywhere

ucantseeme and visor like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use it on people I know well. Just a bit of fun.

Serious matches I don't use it. Strangely, I would probably use different words in Cantonese to English.

visor likes this.
  9. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

It is quite common in our club too and it is more of fun and referening to certain people. For me "Thank you" is the equivalent to "come on, I know that you can do it a lot better", so often only on really easy misstakes, like when your opponent outplays you so well and just need to finish it with a simple netshot, but decides to smash it full force out of the court.

But there are although people who mock you every single time, beyond a simple 'thank you', which gets under the skin over a longer period. In this case a 'thank you' just feels like a mocking you. On the other hand there's one player who gets upset very easily, so I never use this phrase to not upset him.

Eventually it depends a lot on the context.

endFX, visor and Cheung like this.
  10. viver

viver Regular Member

I wouldn't do it during serious matches or in competitions - it may just rub the opponent in the wrong way and making the game more difficult to yourself. :(

11. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I know some players use "thank you" out of reflex regardless whether they meant it maliciously or not. So I tend to ignore it to maintain my game. Whenever I met players who like to use that phrase to get under my skin, I'd reply "you can't win without it".

visor likes this.
  12. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    When my team hits the net on a serve and then the opponent hits the net on their next serve someone always says "mai yi song yi" (Buy one get one free) LOL.

lurker, Cheung and visor like this.
  13. khoai

khoai Regular Member

As somebody already said, it's a mind game. Not necessarily negative or bad intention but it may be perceived differently than intended. If you are old/experienced enough, you can turn that into positive outcome. I know it's hard, but that's what you should do.

visor likes this.
  14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Service errors are fair game. Whether given intentionally or by accident, it is a gift nonetheless and it's only polite to express gratitude:D.

If you really want to get into people's heads consider this:

You are outplayed and a last desperate shot is loopy, too high at the net, or too short in the midcourt. All they have to do is play an easy kill or smash, but they mess it up somehow. Tell your partner, a little too loudly: I see! we just need to target their weakness high at the net and in the midcourt.
    Then every time they mess up again you re-enforce it. Saying to your partner: "Yes!, that's the way, I told you".

Mental strength is part of the game. If they can't keep it cool, they don't deserve to win.

Of course you shouldn't do this if you're trying to make or keep friends. But in a tournament or league match against a known hothead. Yes please.:D

15. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    I hate that...
    There's this guy in my club who is talking bullshit all the time. I get it, that's just how he rolls, trying to be funny about every point. Whatever.
    But when we played singles and he says "thank you" for every mistake it really bothered me.
    It's a fine line between friendly banter and insulting trash talk so you really need to know who you are talking to.
    Personally I don't mind someone cheering for getting a point, even if it was due to a silly mistake. But directly talking down to the opponent is imo disrespectful.

Mind games is just part of the sport even in social games. in competition I just laugh off anything my opponent says and take it as a sign of their own insecureness.

visor likes this.
  16. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

There's a guy who constantly spouts a load of crap everytime I get a point, and even more when he gets a point. I'm not a singles player, so I hit out quite a bit. He says thank you for those, and when he hits out even if it was forced error, he says that I'm only winning from his free points.

It's annoying, but out of the games we played, must be more than 20 total, he's won only four, 2 of them being our first two games, and the other two from when I was already tired from other games and activities.

All you can do really is ignore them, or do the same thing back at them. I find that people who like to taunt others are often weak to it themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Yikes. I think life is too short to put up with this. I'd choose to play with someone else instead. Don't bring yourself down to their level.

ubootsg likes this.
  18. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

I agree it's better not to stoop down to their level. I don't do so and I've gotten quite used to it by now for it to affect me. It's gotten to the point where I enjoy hearing him trash talk and then destroy him later.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Cheung and visor like this.
  19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

as long your are good enough then mental games is also part of the games, like Kevin. Like him not coz of his skill but how he can play their opponent mind & makes them play terrible. Watching Kevin makes me want to kick on his face but i still love how he play it:p

for your case, its quite simple. At the end of games yell loud : YEAH 16:4 MAN THANK YOU!!! Want to give me my 17 win? With funny dance while looking at him. Pretty sure it would silence him.

20. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Odd, I've never come across this. Have to say everyone has been pretty polite and respectful at the places I play recently, I'm quite impressed by badminton players conduct overall. The only thing I've had to deal with recently is dodgy serves but whoever is at a level where they have a dodgy serve is getting beaten so I just let it go and might have a polite conversation later

Could be a cultural banter thing but I don't think it's a good idea to create bad blood at social games by making these sorts of comments, people should come and enjoy and be encouraged, because you have no idea what crappy things are going on in someones life. If someone behaved like that at a club I belonged to getting under peoples skin I'd have a word and if they didn't change behaviour I'd refuse to partner them

#20 UkPlayer, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    visor likes this.