Need advices for a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Evanplaysbadminton, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Evanplaysbadminton

Evanplaysbadminton Regular Member

Hey,

I've started playing 3 years ago. I play singles, doubles, mixed. I prefer mixed, doubles and then singles.

In doubles, I like to smash and do some drops once in while. I like doing tight net shots when I'm at the front.
    In mixed, I smash a bit less and play more drops and slices and more cross-court.
    In singles, I like to smash and do attacking clears, tight net shots. I also do some drops/crosscourt drops but less than attacking clears and smashes.

Currently I use the Yonex Astrox 7 and FZ Forza Power 988 S AA

I like the Yonex one because it's light and I really enjoy it when I'm at the net but I feel like I lack power in smashes and clears.

I think the Forza was a mistake. The guy at the shop sold me this racket when I wasn't even playing singles and I'm not sure I have the technique to exploit it as it was supposed to be for Antonsen. (I was a complete noob by then… )
    But I really like its power and precision. But when I'm at the net, I struggle with drive battles and all of my tight net shots attemps go into the net. (With my Yonex I Don't have this problem).

Strings tension is 10.5Kg on each racket. Again, some coach told me I could put 12Kg but I changed back to 10.5 because I was lacking power and length on clears…

So I've come up to this :
    I use the Yonex Astrox 7 for doubles
    I use the FZ Forza Power 988 S AA for singles and mixed

I'm looking for a mix of these rackets. The Yonex is light and easy to manoeuver at the net. The Forza has nice power and more precision.
    Or maybe I should keep two different rackets but I'm not satisfied about the Yonex in men's doubles, especially at the back. Also the lack of power could come from my technique but with the other racket, I see a huge difference.
    And I'm not satisfied about the Forza in doubles when I'm at the net…

Thanks

2. Evanplaysbadminton

Evanplaysbadminton Regular Member

As my Yonex Astrox 7 is already a 4U, semi-rigid, head heavy, I'm considering two options :

-getting the exact same type but in 3U maybe like an Astrox 77
    -getting the same type but with flexible shaft maybe like an Astrox 66

With my Fz Forza, I realize I struggle even in singles with late forehand clears so I'm sure the seller didn't give me the right racket.

Any help ? Thanks.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

here the complicated stuff.
    Optimal power come from many thing chain up each other.
    1. You swing
    2. Shaft bending by your swing force
    3. Shaft reach its maximum flex & snap back
    4. String bed in contact with the shuttle
    5. String stretch down pushed by the shuttle
    6. Reaching its max elasticity the string rebound back pushing the shuttle
    7. Finally the shuttle launch at high speed

So.....
    Flex racket had more accessible power due to its high flex shaft nature. Low swing & its bending already. But it had lower maximum power coz when your swing are stronger, your contact are not when the racket shaft snapping back but still in bending form thus it not optimally transfer the power. Also stiffer shaft snap back faster than flex one which add even more momentum but ofcourse its harder to bend.
    (Similar concept for string tension. High or low tension)

so going for 66, it definitely easier to use but it had lower power limit for its high flex nature. Do you look for easier racket or hard hitting racket? If its hard hitting racket, well... You need to improve yourself to match the stiff racket requirement & to unlock its potential.

Evanplaysbadminton likes this.
  4. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

it might be tough for seller to find a racket that suits great for you. You explain shots you like, but even you like to smash hard, it does not mean headheavy rackets are for you. There are lots of hard smashers out there using headlight 4u racket, like many pros using nanoflare 700. Personally, I am a hard smasher and using lighter rackets, 4u nf800 and js12ii. It is mostly all about personal feel rather than rackets capabilities. I believe you may benefit from all round easy to use, mid flex, slightly head heavy racket (js12ii might be good. ax66 and 77 are not bad ideas either)
    You may try different rackets from people around you and decide what you like. Maybe you will like something you dont expect. You are fairly new. You gotta explore what you get from different kind of rackets. I am little hesitant to suggest you racket bec you need a bit more experience on what you like I think. Try some aerodynamic light rackets as a change. Maybe you will like it. Try even balanced all around ones. you can explore other brands like victor and li ning.

Evanplaysbadminton likes this.