Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Typo: left leg

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are looking at it two dimensionally. The racket head on the follow through can be on the left side of the body but behind the body, at the side of the body or on the left side but keeping it in front of the body.

Your follow through ends up with the racquet and the left side behind the body nearer the rear of the court after a big rotation. In slow games, it’s not a problem. When you get to high level faster driving games, it’s a big disadvantage because you will have less time to move the racquet to the next shot.

#1222 Cheung, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I see what you mean , thank you

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Does this affect your ability to move the left leg backwards ?

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

To a degree because I can’t push off my right leg the way I should be able to….. like I said I’ve made improvements in my right legs mobility and strength within the last couple of months so I think you will find improvements I. this area

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was really playing good today. Here are some positives I noticed.
    - return of serve , the majority of my replies forced a lift or a poor shot
    - mid court drives had better placement
    -split step, I was able to split step for many more shots , working on split stepping after all shots
    -better footwork and recovery

Here are some negatives that I noticed
    -low serves were very poor , they were either too high or hit the net ..
    - smash defense wasn’t being returned far enough back
    - I’m still not consistent with my body rotation on my overhead, left arm movement was poor
    - if I do jump on my overhead I have to be further behind the shuttle
    - I still need to be more relaxed on my shoulder on overhead
    - I still need to be more relaxed on my grip overall

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Nice! Movements and strokes looking more purposeful. Using feathers or plastic birds? Sounds feather but seems slow.

You're using your left arm but need to bring it down further to rotate your trunk.

And your smash angles need some more variation to be less returnable. Sometimes steep, sometimes flat.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Mason likes this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you ; we always use feather shuttles

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This was the best I have played in a while. Here are the things that helped me the most
    - super relaxed grip
    - more upper body rotation
    - kept my racket at net height on return of serves and when my partner was serving to help with the third shot
    -split step more often during rallies

The super relaxed grip was very noticeable on my backhand drives and backhand clears. I was able to get many of those to the back court. It also helped me to have better overhead shots. My better upper body rotation helped me to get more power on my overhead shots , and also to be more accuracy as I wasn’t trying to “muscle” the shots over. I still need to lighten up my grip on the overhead shots but I saw a lot of improvement.

My smash defense was also better , and when the opponent would drop I was able to more often get to the front of the court and drop it back forcing the lift.

Simeon likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I found out a major issue is with my left arm. I generally do not use it and when I do it’s incorrect. It will normally flair to my left and put me put out of balance. I need to be pulling in in towards me while my right arm comes forward to promote better rotation. I was able to do a good amount of practice with it. Then I played some games and focused less on smashing and more on better form. I noticed a huge difference. A connected issue is getting my left leg back more on my scissor which I was able to do better. Playing some singles games helped me because it’s not as fast pace and promotes better footwork

I then played a day later where I tried some more practice and tried my best to focus on my left arm and had some improvement. I’m excited to see how much this has helped and I looked forward to keep improving

11. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

You seem to be skating a lot. Being lower overall would probably help with it.

12. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Mr Mason.
    You are good hobby players.
    After watching two videos I was thinking why the shuttle speed is so slow when smashing.
    I realized that your grip is at least one click to the panhandle. When hitting like that you need to slow down your pronation or you end up slicing the shuttle. But you will get the fastest racket head movement only by pronating fast. You can see from the slow motion that your thumb is not facing down after the smash like pro smashers have

Signature and visor like this.
  13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

thank you for that observation , I agree with you and I’m trying to work on that

I have a bad habit of turning my grip too far toward panhandle

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Quite a good tip

Mason likes this.
  15. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Agreed with simeon on the grip. Another thing you keep in mind is the separation in the swing. Try to start the swing earlier with the lower body and use the built up elasticity as a rubber band effect on the swing.

An example:

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I need to practice my timing. Thank you !

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did a good amount of throws with just shuttles at my house and it seemed to have good carry over to my game

will try to do a bunch more to see if it helps

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Your kinetic chain is still a bit off. If you watch your slow motion smash, your left arm is going back at the same time as your right arm coming forward. But what you actually want is your left arm should pull back a tad earlier to give you the feeling of opening up your chest, just before the right shoulder is pulled forwards.

In other words, you should feel the act of pulling your left shoulder/arm back lead to the pulling of your right shoulder forwards.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#1238 visor, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Mason and Cheung like this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I agree, it’s so hard for me as it’s not a natural movement. I think more practice of throwing shuttles can help !

20. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

This is what I love about badminton and any sport. In order to be great, there is no short cut. I suggested you with my old account (Obito) to throw the shuttle since page 1 , but I totally understand you because at first it doesnt seem to make sense to me as well.
    Kinetic chain suppose to be and feel as “natural movement” . Now, try to relax and think when you are hitting a shuttle like you throwing a racket into the bird. The movement will be more fluid and natural. Hence, throwing your hip before start your swing. If you perform this action at the same time, it will look weird and break the kinetic . Keep up the good work. Still you can work on more footwork since most movement seems like you skating around. Now, you should be able to “dance” on court. Only bad part living in the US is that we do not have much good badminton players to play with unlike in Asia. It will help you tremendously if you get to play with good players.

Mason likes this.