Will a heavier head-light racket play the same as lighter head-heavy racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by SSSSNT, Jan 20, 2022.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

72g racket with a BP of 330mm and head weight of 35g pre-strung

vs

85g racket with a BP of 280mm and head weight of 35g pre strung

The rest are the same. Length, stiffness, etc.

Will these two rackets play very similar? Or very different?

2. AldrichAxelson

AldrichAxelson Regular Member

Depends on how strong your wrist and forearm is. From personal experience, a 2U racket with a 280 BP is more maneuverable than a 5U racket with 325 BP.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

s6edge likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Heavier balance racket had less afterswing force which makes it easier to manouver for next shot but coz overall weight is heavy itself its more tiring to lift the racket for clear/smash, then lower it to lift/net again & again.

Lighter HH racket are overall light so not much tiring but carry massive afterswing force which makes rapid fast shot harder to execute.

s6edge, Woesi and AldrichAxelson like this.
  4. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

In my experience, they will play differently.

My rackets now are
    Astrox 5fx 74gr BP 307
    Astrox 55 79gr BP 300
    Duora 55 LCW 81.5 gr BP 290
    Nanoflare 270 83gr BP 287

So the 5fx is the lightest and moat head heavy, ax55 is in the middle, while the duora 55 and nf270 is the heaviest but headlight. All play diffrently.

With the duora 55 and nf270, i can swing the rackets with good spedd and manouver. Clears are ok, defense is abit hard (many short lifts), for smashes they are lacking a bit.

As for the Astrox 55, its felt really heavy in the head, so head speed and manouver are noticably slower. Clear easily, defense is hard but noticably less short lifts, smash power is awesome.

Astrox 5fx, the lightest of all of my rackets so far and the most head heavy. Head speed and manouver are very fast, clear easilly, defense easilly, good power on smashes but not as good as astrox 55.

So for me, the 4u head light rackets are best for control play. Slices and nets play are very easy to control with these rackets, but when im at the back, i need more effort to do hard smashes and lobs.

The astrox 55 with 5u head heavy, is the slowest, really hard to play control for me. But it deliver the most power for smashes and attacking lobs.

My favorite racket now is the 5fx. I have 2 of them now. They come in between the duora/nf and the ax55. With 6u and head heavy balance...perfectly balanced for my style of play (double all around). Clears, defenses, nets, slices, smashes, backhand, forehand, drives..almost every shots feel good with this racket.

So yeah, they will play differently

Sent from my SM-A525F using Tapatalk

s6edge, SSSSNT and Kowalski like this.
  5. AldrichAxelson

As no Pro players use any racket beyond 315 BP (i think?), i feel that extreme HH rackets are only a marketing gimmick. Despite the low weight ( ex. Nezer X19 at 65g and 350 BP), i cant imagine how weird the racket must swing. Most of the time, to great means not so much as being unique, rather doing what everyone else is doing, only extremely well.

6. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Watanabe used the Aeronaut 9000i (Instinct) when playing Mixed.
    It sits at the higher end of 5u rackets with a weight of 79g and it has a crazy BP of 327 (could be ofc a special/heavier version/less hh version...)

7. AldrichAxelson

Ah okay, thx for the correction.

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

many thing on badminton racket are gimmic or marketing stuff especially if it come from Yonex.
    Logically if most of mass/weight are on the far side of the axist, it will carry more force. Name it with Trivoltege makes it look awesome invention.
    So does with Astrox. Marketed as more manouverable but you didnt get the same power as Voltric but we forgot how magnificant Voltric smash are.
    Then how about recent 68 hole on AX99Pro. It had this & that advantage. Then why they makes 76 hole before? Is that a failure? I cant remember but when they 1st state more hole are better, pretty sure they said its more this or that.

Some other brand also bring super strong frame that can hold 40lbs. Wow amazingly strong, but who ever need 40lbs. 35lbs itself are a dead plank already & pros didnt even use those stupidly high tension.

s6edge and Cheung like this.
  9. AldrichAxelson

True, we cant have the best of both worlds haha. A range of 5U-3U with 315-285 BP would be my sweet spot tho.

10. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Thanks for a quality sharing ☺️ thanks

11. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

Great question. For me any HL rackets are easier to defend than HH rackets.