What are your experiences with non-badminton specific shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by John Xina, Feb 9, 2022.

1. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

I'm talking about volleyball, squash, and other "indoor court" shoes that, while not marketed as badminton shoes, have many if not all the aspects we look for in badminton shoes.
    I'm currently using Asics Gel Upcourt 3 shoes, which I've seen marketed simply as indoor court shoes and mostly available at volleyball equipment shops. They provide plenty of grip and have worked great for the year that I've owned them so far. My only complaints are the slight lack of ankle support and stability, though that's easy to forgive as they only cost around 40€. A friend of mine is using Adidas Ligra 6s (50€) and has been doing great with them, and another is using Adidas Speedcourts (45€) and is one of the best players at my club. Both of those are also sold as general indoor court shoes.
    Has anyone here used or are currently using those types of shoes I've mentioned? What are your experiences with them and what do you think of them? Do they perform well enough for the sport that we all play?
    I think this is a good discussion for those who may be looking for alternatives to Yonex, Victor, etc. because of price and/or availability as many general sports shops will carry big brands like Adidas and their general indoor court shoes over the more niche Yonex badminton-specific shoes.

SomeoneElse likes this.
  2. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Omg, you are *coughcough* of Anne Frank on reddit? Saw your post there,lol. John Xina is a much better username, just for the record....

3. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Ohhhh you caught me! Hahaha. My reddit name was also my name on here but... uh... that account got banned. Lolol. I'm also Sand Man on YouTube. Haha.

4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Ahhh....And it all clicks into place.....;P

5. Anant

Anant New Member

Thank you for the reply to my question on Reddit ;-)

John Xina likes this.
  6. ma2hacks

ma2hacks New Member

My favourite shoe to play in was a basketball shoe (kobe nxt 360). The shoe is very lightweight and low-profile for a basketball shoe and that fit this sport very well.

I stopped because the pair wore out and replacing it would have been very expensive (a pair being double the price of a high end yonex shoe)

SomeoneElse likes this.
  7. dickography

dickography Regular Member

i just got this basketball shoes from Puma named the Cylde all-pro team. having 2 sessions with them. so far so good.
    pros:
    • ankle protection is excellent. instantly locked-in even though it is a low-top basketball shoes
    • cushioning, specifically the midsole is very nice. not too pillowy but quite cushy, not firm also. the energy return is there when you need it.
    • the outsole grip is brilliant. it felt better than my previous Victor A950 (the victor already very grippy)
    • straight lace hole (not round), so it will kept and locked the laces.
    • stability plate around midfoot to forefoot (not a carbon plate as in high-end badminton shoes), so no twisting can be made around midfoot section.
    • quite lightweight (although not at the same level as Aerus Z)
    • great build quality
    • as a basketball shoes, this is for sure not bulky! ;)
    cons:
    • narrow/normal feet will feel instantly comfy, if you have wide feet this might not for you.. *can be worn but expect long break-in time.
    • non removable insole (glued)
    • though the upper seems breathable, but it;s not quite like that.
    • forefoot section is not as flexible as badminton shoes, though still managable
    puma-195509-01-1.jpg

any other similar non specific badminton shoes here? will be great to hear your experience

#7 dickography, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    SomeoneElse likes this.
  8. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

In my opinion volleyball and other indoor sports shoes are usually fine, as long as they have the support we need: sideways/ankle and jump cushioning. I personally wouldn't choose indoor football shoes for that reason.

Currently have volleyball shoes.

SomeoneElse likes this.