4u, (slightly) Head Heavy, Medium stiff/Stiff

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Aayoosh, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

Hello! My first post here. I've been browsing this forum for a long time, couldn't find a similar thread with recent recommendations.

I currently use an Apacs 84g BP 290mm, medium flex racket. It's lacking the killer smash needed in doubles and I have been looking to upgrade to something more high end, which might also help with backhand clears.

Given that I'll mostly be playing doubles, I need an aero/aerobox/hexa type frame rather than an out and out box frame. Upper end of 4U is my preference in rackets. I have tried sticking VICTOR powerizer to the head of my current racket but head heavy and medium flex is a combo I do not like. It makes the rackets whippy and behave in a weird manner. The shot is usually nice but I just don't like the feel of the head lagging behind the shaft.

When I bought this racket, I wasn't as good a player as I have since become and I believe I will be able to handle a stiff shaft.

The obvious choice here is the 100ZZ but it's rated as "extra stiff" and I'd be wary of trying something like that. The most apt rackets for my needs I've found are

Jnice Black Panther 4U (unfortunately not available where I live, importing will be very expensive)
    Mizuno JPX 7 Fury

Lining 3D Calibar 600C also meets my requirements except for the flex. I could be persuaded to go for it if someone here can tell me how it feels. I do not want a "whippy" racket.

Any recommendations?

Lawyer AIDROOS likes this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

AVP. Aero frame, 295, stiff (not very stiff)
    JPX LTD more or less similar to AVP.

double or not doesnt affect aero/box frame choice & aero frame only affect on full burst swing like smash or clear. Low speed swing kind of shot wont have any different coz aerodynamics only takes affect after reaching certain speed & mobility are come from swing weight.

where do you put the tape. Depend on where you put it, it could result differently. Put it on the top & you will get the most power but with the same stiffness shaft, it will be more flex due to the weight force. Try put it around the T Joint (around 4-8 o clock).

Lawyer AIDROOS likes this.
  3. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

Thanks for the input. A member at the club recently got AVP, I'll try his racket for a game or two and see if it fits my needs.

I need the added maneuverability for quick defense. I have found defending in doubles a bit hard with box frame racquets. For singles I prefer the box type frames for their solid feel. I like the idea of 3DC/JPX type hybrid frames, hoping they'll provide a bit of both of aero and box as opposed to out and out aero or box.

I put around 9 and 3 o clock. It doesn't help that my racket is rated 9.0 for flex on the apacs flex rating scale. Any weight on the head will make it feel whippy.

4. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

I've been playing with the Apacs Pro Commander, one of their high end racquets, and it's pretty great.
    Meets the specs you're looking for exactly.

Aayoosh likes this.
  5. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Pro commander looks very similar to Apacs Assailant Pro that's available here. The paint job is also nice! Looks like that's going to be my new racket.

6. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Pro Commander and Assailant Pro are "sibling" racquets, kinda like the Yonex Astrox 88S and 88D.
    You can't go wrong with either. :D
    I hope you enjoy it!

Raju likes this.
  7. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

I would go for Victor Jetspeed 12 ii. The smashing power is between 88S and 88D I think, not the best but you'll get by. But the racket is very easy to play with and easy on your shoulders. Free core tech is the sh*t I tell you. It's Medium - Stiff flex and provided with smooth not "whippy" but "smooth" swing with little to no vibration on mishits.

Raju likes this.
  8. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

Hello! I've played a few more sessions with borrowed rackets and have come up with slightly changed preferred specifications. I don't see any way of editing the original post, so here it goes.

4U, STIFF, Head heavy (BP of 295-300). I need something that has enough power for doubles back court, controls (hence stiff) and easily maneuverable for defending so strictly 4U.

9. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I thought I couldn't handle my 100ZZ (skill with timing shots and a not perfect shoulder and wrist for shots). I've been using head light nanoray, nanospeed racquets as my comfort racquets and after losing 5 out of 6 league matches, I picked up the old 100zz (3u) to see how it was lastnight. It was fine. If anything it might be helping heal my injured shoulder by giving it more of a workout.

Your needs might change over time like mine have, always be open to other racquets. If you can find a 4U Astrox 100zz, go for it. It was effortless for me to clear and get other shots to the other side of the court in my doubles games.

You could practice this easily if you find someone willing to help you for 30mins to an hour. Play on a halfcourt setting and have them smash to you. React with lifts or blocks. Focus on the timing and where your racquet head starts. See how high up you can wait with the racquet head and still be able to react positively to different angles of shots coming at you.

10. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

The Astrox 88D Pro was developed exactly with this in mind.
    My buddy ordered one, and I'll be able to test it out in a few days. I can share my thoughts on it when I can if you'd like.

11. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

Auraspeed 90K is a solid back court racket, Thruster F E too

12. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

I have a healthy shoulder and a healthy arm. Weak shoulder is not the reason I didn't ask for a stiff/x stiff racket in the first post. I play 2 hours, 6 days a week at intermediate+ level. A racket like that will be very tiresome to play with, that's my only concern. In the long run, I don't want something that'll cause twinges in my arm due to excessive play with x stiff rackets.
    Unfortunately that's not easily feasible at my club. A friend is looking to buy the 100 ZZ. If he does, I'll definitely take it for a spin and see.
    I'd definitely like it. 88D Pro looks more and more like the racket for my needs. I somewhere read it has a BP of 310+? That was my only concern with it. I need to know how it is in defense, since I've to face some serious smashers and an attacking racket that can not defend is pointless.
    Victor rackets are not easily available here, when they are - they're more expensive than their yonex/lining counterparts and the website doesn't list their stiffness rating or HHness.

13. Raju

Raju Regular Member

This will be cool. I wanted to see how it performs against black panther.

14. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

You can take a look at the 88S, then. A personal favorite of mine is the Jnice Black Panther, but it's a bit tough to find those depending on your region

15. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

The apacs racket thing is a dud. Can barely get my hands on any of the newer models. The only retailer which carries most Apacs racket here has told me to look elsewhere when I enquired about the Pro Commander/Assailant Pro. Lining/Yonex have the best availability here. Victor rackets are also not easily available and the ones that are - are prohibitively expensive. The TKF Enhanced Edition is sold out. AuraSpeed 100X is available but doesn't look it meets my needs (headlight?).

How stiff is the 100zz? I want to be playing badminton for years without busted shoulders. The "Extra" stiff bit scares me off of trying it. If not the 100zz, then the racket hunt is still own. I would definitely love if someone could review the Mizuno rackets, especially the JPX series with HH and stiff rackets.

Perhaps a 3U mid stiff even balanced racket to expand the search? Every time I go play, I feel like the medium flex rackets are really holding me back. A HH mid flex racket feels like a disaster for control.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree with this. I think it’s a great racquet for doubles. Defending is fine for me. 3U was already ok for defence and then when I bought the 4U, my defence was even faster.

Aayoosh likes this.
  17. Aayoosh

Aayoosh Regular Member

Thanks. Just waiting for John's review of the 88D Pro. Any medium feeling string recommendation to go with it? I usually go for Li Ning no. 1.

18. Raju

Raju Regular Member

Exbolt 63, VBS 66N and VBS 63 are great alternatives.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I came from ZF2 3U. I still managed to use my smash with the 88D pro 3U.

My coach suggested I try the 4U version. The defence went well but my smash went down. I had to work on smash technique to be even better. Although I thought the smash was still normal after some more coaching, my coach said the smash was better. I didn’t really believe him until I had a training partner with me and he said the smash had definitely improved.

20. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Hey buddy, I was able to get a few sessions with the Astrox 88D Pro 4U. :D
    Keep in mind that the string and grip setup is different from my usual preferred setups and that I didn't have enough time with it to be able to make a full review, but I'll still leave my thoughts here for you.

Astrox 88D Pro (4U, BG66UM 24lbs)
    In the hand it feels very solid and high quality. Stiffness isn't over bearing and should be comfortable enough for anyone who is accustomed to stiff racquets; if you're not accustomed to stiff racquets, you're going to find yourself tired out more quickly. Head is definitely heavy, so expect some more effort from your arms to get the racquet where you'd want it to go if you're not used to true head heavy racquets.
    Power is very good. Lots of oomph with smashes and clears. The racquet is very fast once you're able to get the head speed going, and the head heaviness really does it's job.
    Control and stability are good. Every shot was going where I wanted them to, but maneuverability at the front is where the racquet suffers a bit. For quick exchanges I found myself needing to put in much more effort with my arm and fingers. I'd say it's "doable" at the front, but keep in mind that I play most with racquets that are closer to even balanced. I suspect true head heavy users would find it more enjoyable at the front.
    All in all, I think Yonex nailed it when it came to building a powerful, rear court doubles racquet. It does it's job spectacularly while still being usable at the front. It also does very well in singles. In my opinion, out of all of Yonex's high end, true head heavy offerings this is the best of the bunch in terms of ease of use, and is the best of the ones I've played with.
    You can check out the JNICE Black Panther and Arcsaber 11 Pro review threads to see the comparisons I wrote up between them and the Astrox 88D Pro. :D