2022 TotalEnergies BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals : The Knockout Phase (12-15 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 11, 2022.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    WZY lost having intent and purpose in her shots. Her opponent was not placed under pressure when moving

Anks likes this.
  2. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Her opponent or rather her coach ask her to be more proactive on the net and wzy was bewildered and kinda stopped playing well

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Anks likes this.
  3. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

What a monumental upset… The repeat of 2010 and 2017, no matter how strong and complete Team China is, Team Korea became their nightmare… Hopefully this time there is no career changing impact as what happened to Lu Kai

Anks likes this.
  4. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

cheap tactic

5. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Need to give credit to Lee/Shin, a high profile pair who tends to underachieve a little, even overshadowed by the much less heralded Kim/Kong. What a time to score their first win ever against Chen/Jia…

6. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

KOR coming out of nowhere and taking the title from consistent performer CHN....seems a little weird considering KGE and SYJ are nowhere on the world tour
    KOR teams- both men and women outplayed themselves this tournament shockingly.....in total they beat:
    MD world no 1 - kevin sukamuljo+ahsan(wr2)
    WD world no 1 - CQC+JYF
    almost beat MS wr1 Viktor- losing by the smallest margin possible of 2 points.
    almost beat WS OLY champion and long time world no 1 CYF , again losing by the smallest margin possible.
    Out of nowhere, Jeon hyeok jin beat WR 3 Anders Antonsen in stunning fashion(still cant believe where that came from)
    what happens to KOR team in world events compared to normal world tour events ?-weird
    must say, amazing effort.
    IND needs to borrow some fighting spirit from them , against INA

#1186 ChildrenOfBadminton, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    keithl, Sundis, nilesh123 and 2 others like this.
  7. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    GOODBYE EVERYONE

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT TOURNY

Obviously not the end I wanted to see a little sad but Im proud of our Girls in red who did manage to reach the finals and will return home with a precious silver medal and proud feeling of raising their flag high in Thailand unlike the dumb Men's team which is by far the weakest contingent ever.
    Just had a word with my friend in China and obviously he is upset but he agreed with me that the worst part is CHN Mens department Lawd alone knows if it will take divine intervention to fix this team.

Its been more than what,A year since I last saw my bro SYQ and God knows where Formr WC Oly Silver Medalist Li is for Liu is left hanging with this Ou who got no idea what to do on court and the current youngsters though are skillful but just not enough to win the team tittles.
    Gone are the days of GOATS like Sir Dan,Sir Long,Sir Xuanze,Sir Chen Jin,Sir Zhang Nan,Sir Cai,Sir Haifeng :(

Now Im just waiting for Thailand Open but honestly no high hopes from CHN Men's Team but still as a fan I will still watch and cheer for them even though they may break my heart.

With no Chinese team in Thomas Cup Id probably watch the IND vs INA match for the sake of watching it and wish both of them the best afterall my dumbsters were'nt even capable enough to reach the Semis :mad:

Signing out
    Regards Anks
    Take care Badminton Family

8. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I'll vote them as MVP of team KOR. Should they've lost, CHN would blank KOR 3-0.

trizzforce, keithl and stanleyfm like this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    My hunch is there new gen players, CYF, WZY, ASY kind of find it cool to play a non attacking / retrieving kind of game. But not all of them are sharp or have the creative acumen to do that.

10. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

Or maybe you need to watch and pay attention more

11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Last time Uber Cup went to 5 games, it was Mia Audina beating Zhang Ning in ‘94 at the age of 14…

12. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

How?

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What an Uber Cup Final it was with drama in almost every single match, except maybe for WS2 won by He Bingjiao against Kim Ga Eun to tilt the balance in CHN's favor 2-1.

Before that there were 2 closely fought matches, especially in WS1 where both An Seyoung and Chen Yu Fei fought point by point until the very last moment. An was leading 20-17 but she looked out of steam at that point and true enough Chen used this opportunity to win 5 pts in a row to take the crucial first match 17-21, 21-15, 22-20.

Those 2 were the points won by Team CHN as Team KOR staged an incredible comeback with their formidable doubles! I thought the KOR WD1 pair of Lee Sohee/Shin Seungchan would lose as they trailed 12-21, 6-11 at the interval of the rubber-set. Who would have expected them to stage an almost impossible task as they quickly won 5-pts in a row to level the scores. It was nervy moments for both pairs and the KOR pair handled it better as they took the second-set 21-18. The third-set also belonged to the CHN pair up till the interval as they led 11-9. But then, Lee/Shin were very persistent and they won another 5-pts in a row that killed the momentum of the CHN pair to lead 14-11. The CHN pair also made some unforced service errors which were costly at the crucial stage and at 19-18, the KOR pair surged ahead to take 2 more pts and wrapped up the tie 12-21, 21-18, 21-19. This was really an incredible match!

The WD2 also belonged to KOR as Kim Hyejeong/Kong Heeyong beat the scratch CHN pairing Huang Dong Ping/Li Wen Mei in straight-sets 22-20, 21-17.

It will come to the last match between the unheralded Sim Yujin against the Asian Champions Wang Zhi Yi - a ding-dong battle in the first-set with the Korean nicking it 28-26. The CHN player won the second-set back 21-18 and when it came to the last set, it was an anti-climax as the Korean raced ahead to a 13-1 lead and it was a foregone conclusion!

Congratulations to Team KOR for winning the Uber Cup again after 2010! I still remember that match-up also against CHN while I was still in HKG, locked on to the livescore following the proceeding.

rajat_remar, Cheung and badito like this.
  14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

anyone knows whats the H2H between INA and IND in ThomasCup? is it 14-0?

15. lurker

lurker Regular Member

btw anyone knows what happened to Wong Tat Meng who was previously seen to be in charge of ASY?

16. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    I saw him sitting at the Korean support bench but he is not coaching... Kang ji hyun went to coach thailand women singles

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Anks and Cheung like this.
  17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

KOR.jpg

Korea women's team replicates 2010 stunning episode to rerun unexpected result and topples the mighty China in enthralling Uber Cup final that total duration lasted in 359 minutes.
    A big excitement of this tie was began since first match, Chen YF slips when led by huge margin 11-4, the never say die An SY narrow the gap then turned the tables to seal the opener, 21-17. The drama happened in deciding game, An leading the way 13-5 then got leg cramp suddenly when the Olympic Champion asked medical break to treat her right ankle injury. Limping and body distress that caused by unstoppable marathon rallies hampering An to chase shuttlecock and her agility has been waned drastically, Chen capitalise this circumstances and regain the momentum to deliver point for China. Hats-off for both players performance who showed magnificent fighting spirit though their physical condition worked against them, must endure their pain in very grueling and roller coaster duel.

The storyline became more interesting as Lee/Shin defy the odds to overcome nemesis Chen/Jia and break the jinx finally. The Chinese had bright prospect after won opening game and led 11-6 then the turning point for the Koreans emerged post mid game interval of second game to bounce back stronger with their powerful play.

One way traffic clash occured in WS2 as the left hander He BJ stamped her authority throughout the match and provided no chance for Kim GE to disrupt winning trajectory for CHN. A comprehensive victory by He with her consistent & convincing aggressive play, one two shots to kill shuttlecock with her smash, being pro active to intercept from front area and flat footed the taller Kim.

Huang DP/Li WM who portrayed heroines eight months ago in Aarhus can't pass Korean scratch pair, Kim/Kong fast and flat game really troubling their opponent especially Kim Hye Jeong, she's so fast and creative to outwit the under pressure Chinese. China has no dependable second women's doubles to be reckoned.

It's 23 years old Sim Yu-jin, an average player who turned into top-10 quality player last night has tranforming pressure into challenge and yes she did marvelously to outclass recent Asian Champion Wang ZY in three games. Wang was extremely nervous and below-par performance, ran out of idea due to mental block, late anticipation to respond Sim cross court smash and net drop frequently.

Perhaps China is over confident and quite underestimates Korean team and didn’t predict or expect that this tie to stretch into fifth match. Korea shatters China plot through WD1 as most likely the defending champ thought it will be 3-0 victory over KOR based on their player's positive stats. Both Sung Ji Hyun and Lee Kyung Won were part of KOR winning team 12 years ago and now as coach they also standing on podium to lift the coveted trophy.

THOMAS CUP FINAL
    upload_2022-5-15_9-15-33.png

Will new history be created today? A very complicated task for fourteen-time winner INA to defend Thomas Cup.

nizze, Cheung, Sundis and 2 others like this.
  18. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Kang Kyung-Jin, now witness to both the 2017 and 2022 miraculous KOR victories, but on opposite sidelines :) I think he was there in 2010 too but as a cheerleader (as a men’s coach).

Obviously Sung Ji-Hyun was an integral part of all three occasions, amazingly.

Anks likes this.
  19. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I wish we could choose a dream team which will be voted by audiance to play with the champion team. (from many nations but not the players from champion team)

Challenging The Champion Cup. (another cup)

16 - May

Sumanth99 likes this.
  20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Obvi CHN is much more fav vs KOR than INA is against IND.

It was kinda an upsset result. I d rather CHN KOR is like 60/65-35 and INA IND is like 55-45.