Is there anything specific I can do to get used to a new racquet quicker?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BadmintonDave, May 25, 2022.

1. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

My go to racquets are two nanoray800's (3u g4).

I'm trying to justify my purchase last November of a Nanoflare 800 (4ug5) and I just can't get used to the racquet. I lose track of where the head is when trying to smash and when defending (literally hit the shaft 3 times yesterday when trying to smash, so too slow of a swing or completely missed the contact point or standing too close under it or something).

When playing, I have to really, REALLY use all my concentration. Especially when serving.
    I've even tried playing just holding it with a long grip style (hand as close to butt of racquet handle as possible) and while it worked a bit, it still felt like I wasn't learning.

Anyone have any ideas? I've put in at least 20 hrs of court time with this racquet now. And it does feel really good when you hit it just right.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you just experience this just with the Nanoflare and not with the Nanoray, the racket is not forgiving enough, too different for you and your timing is way off.

IMO it is always useful to test a racket in a half court drill which involves all kind of different shot isolated. Maybe the drills smash and lay off or pressure defence can be useful to get used to the racket in this department quicker. But after 20 hours of court time it sounds more, that the racket is not meant for you.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Time will solve the problem. But some racket are like opposite from us which takes even longer to get used to it.
    Give me fast racket & it takes me forever to adjust. Give me sledge hammer racket & it just like ablink of eye.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You write that you "literally hit the shaft 3 times yesterday when trying to smash"

That can happen, as can swinging and missing because the shuttle hasn't yet reached the top of the racket head. (and one cause of that besides racket change , is a change of hall, in some halls the shuttle drops slower / hangs longer in the air)

Where it's the racket, then

You can either play with the racket where that doesn't happen.

Or practise just smashes with the racket you are having issues adjusting to.

If you are at a level when you can't even do shots well and move well with your good racket, then maybe just focus on rackets that suit you.

If you want to practise with different rackets, then I'd suggest just focus on one thing at a time with the racket you are trying. e.g. somebody smashes at you, and you just practise defending. Somebody lifts to you, just practise overhead forehands. The kind of things you should do anyway even with your good racket!

You can adjust the swing by either starting it earlier or later,(earlier means starting it when the shuttle is higher.. Later means starting the swing when the shuttle is lower. Either way still preparing early).. Doing the swing faster or slower.

Another thing affecting timing is length of swing.. Shorter swing(Higher prep), is easier to time. .

It's entirely reasonable if you are not adjusted to a racket, that if somebody feeds you a lift, you could miss a few in a row, not just a few in one evening. I don't have a problem with that, because i'd say ok that' s interesting, what can I adjust.

For many years I only played with one or two rackets, and I knew that some racket I really struggled with. But after some years I decided ah I really want to be able to play with whatever racket, and I spent time focussing on adjusting to them. e.g. doing 1hr of smash defense with a singles racket. So i'm not too hostage to any one or two rackets. That said, any rackets I have are from coaches recommendations so I don't try rackets wildly.

After the coronavirus crazyness, many of us got back on court, swung and missed.. I spoke with a very high level player, that said it happened to them too.

5. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Very helpful replies already.

I usually take a new racquet + used shuttles and go to the wall and start swinging.

ralphz likes this.