Hawkeye implementation and it's Accuracy

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Vivek Bagadhi, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Well as the title says, there have been a few incorrect or to be specific controversial decisions by Hawkeye which raises questions about it's accuracy and to how well can one depend and why the players are not questioning and giving feedback to the BWF, I am sure they must be reviewing their matches afterwards.

I would like to keep this thread alive and also Screenshot_20220606-142239_Video Editor.jpg to discuss abt our opinions regarding this point during the 2nd set of the AE2022 XD Finals by Yuta. It was the cross court backhand defence from Yuta which was given 'In' by the line judge but the hawkeye ruled it as 'Out'.

Personally it was 'IN' with atleast half or a third of the shuttle on the line but the Hawkeye result was nowhere close to the line

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I think that still photo is taken not at the moment of impact with the ground though. It looks like the shuttle is still about an inch from the ground. By the time it landed, it would be out.

I remember that crazy counter attack by Watanabe. Steen and Gill, I and most of the crowd wanted and thought that to be in, but on video slow mo replay it was just a tad out.

But yes there have been some instances where Hawkeye has been shown to be iffy when compared to the slow mo replay. I believe there's a margin of error of +/- 2mm?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Still it would be usefull rather than having none when the judge seems siding to one team (true or not). So we can had a way to get ourself a neutral judge that wont pick side regardless there is flaws to it.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  4. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    T
    Well that was the closest frame I could get while sourcing it from an edit of the video, but still even when landing it has to clip the line man atleast a tenth of it. I can't imagine it completely leaving a spot at a distance almost simlar to the breadth of that line from it as was shown on that hawkeye. And I say it not only from this but many more decisions where it has been for atleast more than a centimetre away.

5. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    True that and I totally support it and has proven to be decisive in many games, but its accuracy without a doubt has to be questioned as it was implemented with the thought bringing accurate line calls and missing them lets you lose your points.

From what I've seen in tennis, Hawkeye has a calibration phase before every match, wondering whether that's the case in badminton or not?

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I saw a video about that kind of system in tennis.

I was surprised to learn that the slow mo video they use where they just show the ball and the line, is fake. It is actually a computer generated prediction of where it predicts the projectile eg tennis ball or in this case shuttle, will land, that is made before it hits there.

People watch it thinking it is gospel truth but it's not.

In one case in tennis there was chalk on the tennis ball proving that it hit the line, but the fake video "showed" it didn't. And the video was accepted as "proof" that it didn't!

7. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

8. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I'm just curious/doubtful if the hawk equipment standard is same at every international tournament ?

I mean, surely the equipment must have a lot of scope for upgradation only if the concerned authorities could see value in the investment.

Again, I don't know anything about the logistics involved for an international tournament.

Cheers.

9. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    Well I am glad for all your inputs being so much helpful in understanding the mechanics which lead us to doubt more on the accuracy of the hawk eye, none the less it would be interesting to see when upgrades would come to the system.