Random Gameplay doubts

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dnewguy, Sep 14, 2020.

1. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

I'm sorry I couldn't explain it better. A video definitely speaks a lot more. That will take time.
    I don't wear glasses.
    I stand right behind the short service line when in front.
    While at the back, I bias my stance towards my backhand side so that I can smash or clear anything from left rear court.

The FH to BH grip and vice versa, not very smooth. But I fail to generate enough power trying to defend with BH on my FH side, especially when smash is waist height.

Thanks.
    Cheers.

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

That's too far in front for a fast paced game.
    I cannot help here without a video. It might be your technique, it might be your feet, ... you don't need to generate much power though, the shuttle comes at you fast, so you can start with redirecting it. With some finger power, you can already get a long defense. You just need to generate some power when defending long and high.

3. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

01.) I grip my badminton racquet somewhere near the middle of the handle so that the lower edge rests against my wrist, and while making a serve i hold it near the shaft. But I have noticed that a few good players in the club grip it right at the lower edge (the dirt imprint more pronounced at the base of the handle).
    I wonder if I should change the position consciously?
    How will it affect my game ?

02.) (Not a gameplay doubt) I'm trying to increase my grip strength by using a gripper (the one in which you can increase the spring tension with a knob). I play badminton for 2 hours 6 days a week (with friends, so no coach/drills/training).
    How should i schedule the gripper exercise routine to get the most benefits so that my forearm doesn't get too tired to play a good game. (I was training the left forearm more to bring some symmetry to my arms but then I started getting cramps while lifting anything heavy :p)
    Should I do more reps with the light setting or go less with hard setting ?
    Do it till failure or just a fixed number of reps ?

[I'm right handed and play MD mostly, love to smash]

Thanks.

#23 dnewguy, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

1. I use 3U head heavy racket for double & im back court player. I love the massive power it give when smashing, its really really powerfull but with a great downside which is its after hitting force are to great for repeat stroke & no matter how good me & my partner, there will always time when im dragged to the front. What i do is to hold my racket closer to the cone as it can nullify abit of the force. So, depend on the situation, i will change my gripping accordingly. If i need power on slow pace i will grip it at the bottom end. If i need manouver/speed i will grip higher & the more speed i need the closer my grip to the cone or my finger will touch the cone itself. The downside if you r not used to it, accuracy is the main issue coz your racket basically getting longer or shorter as you change your gripping. Not sure if its good technique or not as some player told me its bad thing to do. But well its work well for me & thats my secret magic to use 3U head heavy on double. (Sssttt.... Its secret betwen us:p)

2. I think you could do medium one, not to light but not to heavy. The important thing is you want to stress your muscle abit more & do it in constant improvement, i mean doing it like 1 minute/100x for 2 week or a month till you are used to it, then increase the number little by little. About how many routine training? Well im not an expert for it but usually i do hand/arm training & foot training. 1 day i train my hand. Next day i definitely feel sore on it, so i will rest my hand on the next day & train my foot instead, & so on the next day.

Hope this can help.:D

dnewguy likes this.
  5. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hehehe

The accuracy/timing is my main concern too.
    It takes me a lot of time to get used to a new racquet, sometimes even a different grip change throws me off (of course it gets more evident against a good team).
    I will still try out your method and see if it works for me.

About the forearm training, I'm so anxious about overloading that sometimes I end up not training at all (I do some bodyweight bar exercises twice a week).

The 100x per minute would be near exhaustion right ?
    So I should

Thanks.

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

not 100x per minute. You can choose number of repeatitive or duration of training. Its up to you to choose. Sorry for bad explaination, glad you ask:D, if not some other might do it wrong & end up injury.

For example, when im just watching TV i just sit while holding racket, rest my hand on my knee & swing my racket left to right with my forearm only.
    I do:
    1. Hold my racket straight up then swing it to the left & back up.
    2. The same starting racket going straight up but swing to the right & back up.
    3. This one i do full swing from left to right.
    At 1st doing 50x each non stop will sore my arm on next day. After awhile i increase to 75x & after sometimes again i increase it to 100x, & so on. Today 200x non stop didnt show sore on my arm next day. Now im just to lazy & bored to count more than 200, so i stick with the number around 100-200 but increase my swing speed.

7. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

I have added skipping rope to my routine for now... 5 mints non stop at a sustainable pace before my matches and then 5 mints afterwards. Its giving me a good burn in the forearms and shoulder and some shin splints.

## What are your thoughts about those power training racquets?
    I usually play with a low budget Carlton Blade 3000 racquet (4u Head light).
    I have a Carbonex 21special (2u, oval) and a Voltric ZF2 (2u, haven't played with it this whole year).
    These 2u/3u racquets are enough to strengthen my arm or a training racquet would be a better investment ?
    The voltrics have given me elbow pain in the past, so a TR racquet being heavier- will lead to more pain ?

## I want to get better at changing FH -to- BH grip and vice-versa. At times I get caught with a wrong grip defending and if its a heavy racquet then I might sprain the wrist. Does it happen to you too ?

Thanks.

8. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I tried playing at the back with gripping the racquet near the base, I felt a loss of power and feedback. May be it will take more time to adjust, lets see if it overall benefits me. o_O

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

not sure about feedback, maybe coz its far end of the racket, the vibration already reduced much & you feel very little vibration.
    For power probably coz you arent used to it. Gripping at the very end is where all the juicy power coz all the weight are in front of your hand but due to the same characteristic of heavy racket, it become harder to push the head forward which lessen your swing speed to much.
    Also i use this kind of method/technique for long time, so now im naturally use it without taking my focus on it. So maybe more time will be helpfull.

10. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello

a). I am trying to be more fluent in changing from Fh-to-Bh grip and back while defending in level doubles. Can you guide me to some drills ?
    Is it wise to switch to a backhand grip as soon as we assume defending positions ? I'm having some amount of success in defending with a BH grip on my FH side but not comparable to my habit of FH grip on FH side. And I usually froze while switching back & forth @ fast pace.

b). How do I take the attack back from opponents ASAP. I consider myself good at block defense( where I lift a smash from the opponent back to him consistently) but then after a few smashes they target my partner who struggles with smash defense. So I would like to know if i can take control back while I'm defending ?

c). This is not a doubt just a recent observation. I have this younger colleague who is weaker if compared to me as a doubles player but when we play singles then he is able to give me quite a sweat. I know a video would be more helpful here but I would like to know your thoughts on this discrepancy. Will a singles player struggle in a good doubles game and the opposite ?

On the same lines I think that if I develop my crosscourt smashes then it will help my singles game. As I have mostly played MD, I hardly smash crosscourt( and when I do its just a step away from the centre line). Can you guide me how should I work my way to achieve better accuracy( towards the sidelines) in crosscourt smashes ?

Cheers,
    Thanks.

11. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I guess I'm late but I didn't see this answered yet.

Where you want to hold the racket is partially up to personal preference. However, there are reasons why you'd want to move your grip up or down. Your racket is a lever. If you hold it closer to the shaft, the arm of the lever is smaller. This means it's easier to move your racket around, almost like playing with a lighter or more head light balanced racket. You can imagine this will be helpful when you have to defend, or when you are in fast paced flat exchanges. If you hold the grip closer to the base, the arm of the lever is longer, which means you can transfer more force into the shuttle provided you have the time and the space to hit a full shot. This is useful if you are attacking from the back court.

If you keep a short grip when you have time and space to play full shots (like when you're receiving lifts from the back court), then you are needlessly sacrificing your ability to transfer force into the shuttle. If you keep a long grip when you don't have time to play full shots (like you're in a fast flat exchange), then you are needlessly sacrificing maneuverability.

Of course keeping a longer grip also means you have a longer reach, so singles players will almost always keep a longer grip, even in defense, because they need the optimal reach to cover the court.

Having said all that. Changing grips in the rally, whether it's from forehand to backhand or from short to long, is something that shouldn't require any thought when you are playing, and a fair amount of players will naturally change the length of their grip without ever being taught it simply because they feel it makes their shots work better. I suggest you practice off court, maybe even while watching something on tv. All you have to do is change the grip from short to long and vice versa, or from forehand to backhand and vice versa. Start slow and go faster and faster. Doing that for 10 minutes when you have the time really helps build the muscle memory, so it is easier to implement in the games you play.

dnewguy likes this.
  12. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It's great to have a solid defense and that you can lift it back to the opponent when they smash at you. However, this is generally the last thing you want to do. The only reason to lift back at him is if you have no other choice. It's like saying: "well, I was able to defend your last smash, it's only fair I let you have another go at it". To get the attack, you generally need the opponent to lift. The best way to do that is to make them hit the shuttle below the net. To do that you need to play shots that go down instead of up. So if they smash at you and you have the ability to block it to the net without getting punished, then that's almost always the best possible shot you can play, because it neutralizes their attack.

Singles and Doubles are different games. Doubles requires more fast paced racket maneuverability, and generating shot pressure (forcing bad replies from your opponent by pressuring their ability to react and produce a shot. Singles requires more efficient movement and shot quality and consistency.

Generally, players that are able to play fast shots under pressure tend to be good doubles players. Generally, players that are able to cover the court better and commit less unforced errors tend to be better singles players.

If you want to get better at singles, improve your footwork. Unless you play at a high level, improving footwork is BY FAR the best way to make a tremendous difference in the quality of your singles play.

dnewguy likes this.
  13. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

As I said before Im experiencing a loss of power and feedback while holding it near the base.
    Its harder for me to swing and use my wrist during a smash.
    I play mostly doubles and I try to smash every opportunity I get so its here that I'm most uncomfortable with the long lever. I wonder if its finger/wrist/forearm strength thats failing me or just the extra 1½ inches of the shaft :mad:.

Thanks.

14. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Thanks.

To be frank in my head im saying, " What else you got ?" :p

The old habit got reinforced by watching pros defense videos. Plus its hard to redirect a good smash without getting punished or making an unforced error.

So just to be clear let's say opponent smashes at me down the side line from the backcourt with his partner standing somewhere behind the short service line on the centre line, so I should try to block it to the net (like they block in singles) ?

Thanks.

15. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It could be a timing issue and should go away when you practice it more and get used to it. If you play a full smash; shoulder rotation and everything, then you should be able to play a solid smash with any racket while holding it near the base. If you have time to play a smash like that (usually only if they lift high and you can get under the shuttle) and you find you're still having trouble, it's probably worth it to have a coach take a look at your overhead hitting technique.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have a short hitting technique that relies heavily on the forearm (wrist), but doesn't involve the shoulder and body rotation as much. To make use of the long lever, you will need the full motion.

Strengthening your forearm never hurts, but it's probably not the limiting factor in this case, especially if you don't have trouble generating power with a short grip.

Yes.

But I understand if that is difficult. When you see the professionals keep lifting, it's usually because they have no other choice. And if the defenders end up scoring the point in the end, it's because they somehow got the attack. Either they played a good block to the net and forced their opponent to lift, or they played a drive defense and the rally turned into flat exchanges which they either won, or forced a lift with a block to the net and started attacking. Or, they moved the attacking player around in the back court, by playing lifts away from the smasher, inducing fatigue and impatience in the smasher, who either had to give away the attack or made an error. (when you watch professional games, it is very instructive to look at how the defenders gain the attack)

So, if you can play the block to the net without the front player killing it, that's probably the best shot you can play. If you can't do that(either because the smash is too good or the front player is too close and too good at the net), then pushing passed the front player can be an option. The idea is that you hit a shot that goes too fast for the front player to get, but goes down before it gets to the back player, which means he can't play an attacking shot. If even that is too difficult (again if the smash is very good), then a drive return is another risky option. A drive return is when you hit it flat and hard. This puts pressure on the opponent, because the shot is faster then a lift, so if you catch them off guard, they might be forced to give up the attack. However, if the drive is bad, or they see it coming, then they can intercept and then you're in trouble.

If all of these ways of neutralizing the opponents attack are unavailable to you, then you will need to play a lift. However, You can lift straight or cross. In general, you will want to play away from the attacker, make him move from one back corner to the other, but if your partner's defense is worse then yours, then it can be good idea to lift straight, to keep the smashes coming your way.

So, ideally, you will want to neutralize your opponents attack as soon as possible. Playing a bunch of lifts in a row is sometimes necessary, but it shouldn't be played if you have other options. (unless your opponent doesn't have a good smash, in which case forget everything I just said:D)

dnewguy likes this.
  16. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

You have provided me with a lot of food for thought. And the need for a tripod grows even bigger :oops:.
    It was insightful and definitely points me in the right direction... I will also try to improve my flat game.

Thanks a lot.

SnowWhite likes this.
  17. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello everyone,

First of thanks for all the suggestions, i keep coming back here and they make even more sense a second time.

About me: 35yrs/Male, Men's D player, only Mavis 350(plastics), fast attacking game but play backcourt mostly.

1.) I have a tournament coming up in August. It's district level open category so my sole intention is to test my mettle against superior (young/old) players. I will be playing doubles but I'm more interested in my men's singles game. It will be played with feathers. I was wondering how i should utilise this time at hand?
    What should be my focus during preparation?

2.) I usually do the underarm, high toss service in singles which is more common in Women's singles. Should I try & change to the backhand service style seen more in Men's singles(at present I don't think I can do a quality flick serve from midcourt) ?

3.) I love playing with head light racquets for the sheer maneuverability it provides.
    Yes, it lacks power in overhead backhand(weak technique) & easy deep clears. I change to 3u balanced racquet for singles (if i get a lucky chance to play with someone), but it's always on my mind that it's not my weapon of choice.
    I would love to use the headlight 4u for singles as well but even after forearm/grip training I'm not able to overcome the handicap.
    Funny thing is_ Even though my mind is full of doubts making every shot during the whole game, the 3u racquet gives me better results while playing singles.
    I don't know what should I do?

Thanks.

#37 dnewguy, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  18. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Are you saying the whole tournament will be played with feathers?

Hide your weaknesses as best as you can from your opponents

Make sure your footwork and reactions are solid. This is especially important in singles

There's no rule saying you have to do the same service every time. You can do some backhand serves, some flick serves, some deep forehand serves. Changing your servings during a game can sometimes help mind games vs the opponent. Just remember if you do end up doing backhand serves, don't stand directly on the T in singles. Stand maybe 1 step back from it like you would if you were serving in a traditional mixed doubles game.

This I don't accept. If you have a friend to feed you, have them feed an hour of shots to your backhand side. Practice the footwork, preparation and hitting the shot. I use a Nanoflare 800 racquet (4ug5) and I can get it a good distance. Yes it's a bit easier with something like an astrox100zz, but it is certainly do-able. If you can make a "swoosh" sound with your backhand racquet (pretend to hit a shuttle), then you are more than capable of hitting a decent backhand clear.

dnewguy likes this.
  19. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Yes.
    I have been playing with plastics almost always. But the standard tournaments always use a feather shuttle.

Starting out I'm strong but as the rallies grow longer, then it starts affecting my rhythm as I'm more used to playing doubles.

20. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

MARCH 15

Hello all,

I would like to know about the hand signs that a server uses to inform their partner before serving in doubles?

Raising one finger, two fingers etc
    What does it imply?
    As the receiving and serving positions remain constant for pros (unlike amateurs) but they still make those signs before each service so it's premeditated?

I couldn't find it anywhere or make clear conclusions from watching videos.

Thanks.