Fake shuttles: yonex AS-30

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Zohar, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

I bought 10 tubes of yonex AS-30:

https://badmintonclick.com.au/colle...x-aerosensa-30-badminton-shuttlecocks-feather

The shuttles are brittle and fall apart after a few points.

I have experience with yonex ACB-TR, AS-10, AS-20, and AS-30. The shuttles that I bought are below the level of the training quality. AS-30 usually lasts me a game and a half. I find it hard to believe that these are genuine AS-30.

Is there a way to verify it?
    Is there something to do about it?

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Yonex Aerosensa come with a holographic sticker. I would look for it.

Due Covid, the shuttles can be stored a long time. I recommend to rinse an empty tube with warm water until the cardboard is wet. Fill in the shuttles and close the tube to rest 1-3 days. This will help when the shuttles are too dry.

Shuttle durability can also be related to the players on court. Some people slice so excessive and unnecessary or mishit so often, pass the shuttle after a point by hitting the shuttle feathers with frustration and so on. Some opponents lift so good, that you hit more the feathers when you attack hard from the rear court, some people simply play a faster and harder game while others do a casual lift, drop, clear game.

Playing 1.5 games with a single shuttle sounds like the rallies are very short, nobody hits very hard and the games are not really tight. Otherwise I can't understand how this could be your regular durability.

yenyesoh and s_mair like this.
  3. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

Due to covid, the new car that you just bought was standing for a long time. All you need is to take it to the garage for overall maintenance (replace oil, battery, etc.).

It doesn't matter how I play. I play regularly with the same partner, and we are quite consistent. But now, I have pretty good estimate on shuttle durability.

But just out of curiosity. How many hours a week to you play, how long are your games, and how many shuttles (and which) do you spend on a game?

#3 Zohar, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don’t play often with AS 30 but I certainly can’t make it last a game and a half. I remember it would last just over half a game.

AS 50 or RSL ultimate can last a whole game. Then we use the old shuttle as a knock up.

In HK, these old shuttles are kept and sold second hand to coaches as there’s a healthy market of badminton coaching.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I train 6,5 to 7 hours per week, 3 of the are training. According to tournamentsoftware my tight matches are between between 37-44 mins but knock off a few minutes warm up and pause between the sets. I normally donate 1 shuttle per game for doubles. It's here common that everybody brings shuttles to court. If they are all the same it is 1 but if in a tournament the shuttles of my opponent or mine are off in terms of speed due condition, somebody can also give more than one to have a good and fair game or we tip to make them equal, depends. I use aerosensa 20 (50% of the price pays the club) and need in close matches 2-4 shuttles depending who I play. If it is the guy who likes to play a lot of slices and sliced smashs, it will be 4.

kwun likes this.
  6. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

@ucantseeme, sounds like in a game against me, you don't make 5 points. Where do you live (country)? :)

Sounds like you play (without training) 3hr a week, and you spend ~4 shuttles for 45 minutes, i.e. 16 shuttles a week (1.3 tubes)? Expensive.

I'm starting to suspect that my shuttles are fine, and it was just a weather thing. There was recently a drop in temperature, and it might have been too dry. Yesterday, for example, it was raining and very humid (the court was like ice-skating). We spent around 3 shuttles for 90min (each set around 15min), where in the previous two weeks (when we started using the new AS-30), we spent around 6 shuttles.

Cheung likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That’s still quite impressive for the AS30 to be lasting two sets.

8. lurker

lurker Regular Member

yes, there are counterfeit AS30 in the market

first is the pricing, much cheaper than 'street price'
    2nd, if you are used to AS30, once u pick up the counterfeit shuttle version the difference is quite obvious

9. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Do you still have said shuttles? How many tibes have you gone through? Have you tried steaming them by opening both ends and pouring steam into the tube from a kettle? It should help with the longetivity.

10. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

I suspect it was an extreme case of cold/dry weather. After a couple of weeks, the shuttles were holding fine.

Cheung and Schultzier like this.
  11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    How do you come to this conclusion?

12. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

It didn't sound like you train seriously :)

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    How do you define seriously training and is it just time on court? You don't know anything about the intensity, the drills, my games. What are you trying to say here? Offending me? Good luck, when you need help again.

14. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

Relax man, I'm just messing with you since you sounded so serious.
    Tip: a smiley " :) " means someone is joking.