Nanoflare 800 or 88D Pro

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by spectacularoctopus, Jun 28, 2022.

1. spectacularoctopus

spectacularoctopus New Member

Hey everyone,

after beginning and playing for almost one year with my Voltric Lite, I am looking for a new racket. I was able to try a couple, with the best 2 being Nanoflare 800 3U and the Astrox 88D Pro 4U with BG65 11kg. Played them for an hour (on different days) each, and thinking about which one to pick. Also tried the Nanoflare 700 (like 800 but felt a bit "weaker") and Astrox 77 (felt like 88D Pro but more heavy).

With the Nanoflare 800, I was deeply impressed by myself on how many quick shots I was able to return; smash returns, but also unexpected shots. A lot less missed shots. With the 88 D Pro, I was hoping I could increase my power, especially clears from the very back of the court into the opponent's back of the court. However, probably due to lack of technique, the power of clears and smashes felt similar among all. Just with my Voltric Lite, they were harder to achieve, since I feel like power is lost due to its softness (I have read it should be the opposite, just stating my personal feelings).

So, I am asking myself, should I get a racket that is supposedly good for generating more power or one that provides more control / handling speed? My impression so far tells me NF800, but I am confused since A) I've always read that the NF800 is harder on beginners which was not my impression B) I also read it is not as difficult to generate power with the 88D Pro, which might help me (learn how to). Since I was not able to test them side-by-side, it all could have been up to my form of the day etc... And after all, I noticed a big improvement with both to my current one.

Generally, I am a doubles player. Since I am still at a rather low level, I play both front and back. Now you could say I could also try with a cheaper racket. I chose these because there is most to read about them, and at the end of the day, I will only get one (or two of the same kind) so the racket won't be the most expensive part about the sport.

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I say go for what feels good, not what you think you should like on paper.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

Masa, s_mair and Woesi like this.
  3. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

Just like DuckFeet said just pick the racket you felt good hitting. From what you wrote down you like NF800. Just go with it?

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

If you're mainly a doubles player, I'd say go for the 800, or even the 700, which isn't as stiff and therefore easier to generate power on. Especially in doubles, it's very important to be quick and agile, and working on your technique should help you generate power to clear cross court. Every player is different, though, so I really would recommend trying them out side-to-side if you can.

5. spectacularoctopus

Thank you very much! I will go with the Nanoflare 800 then (I preferred it over the NF700).
    What would be an appropriate string? BG 80 with 10kg? or 11kg?

6. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

BG80 is actually pretty hard to play with, especially for beginners. I prefer the BG66 Ultimax, since it'll help boost your power and is a pretty good string all around (if not a bit fragile). Once you start hitting the birdie consistently in the sweet spot and gain a little more power, the BG80 would be a great choice.

Generally, beginners and intermediate players should go for a lower string tension, which creates a bigger sweet spot and helps generate more power, but both 10kg and 11kg are reasonable choices. I would probably start with 10kg, and since BG66 Ultimax can break pretty quickly, you can choose if it's the right tension for you. Higher tension will give you less power and a smaller sweet spot but more control.

7. spectacularoctopus

Thanks, sounds good, it’s also mentioned as recommendation on the Yonex website. Is there also a more durable alternative? There is no stringer nearby, I would have to ship it to a shop to do that for me.

8. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

NF800 ltd 4uG5 is the racquet I use. The string I enjoy the most is BG66 Ultimax.

As for tension, I ask for it in lbs. Yonex recommend up to 24lbs or up to 28 lbs I can't remember. The tension I have it at is 22lbs. Not sure the conversion for Kilos.

Be warned BG66 Ultimax has no way near as much durability as BG65Ti. But it is a lot more fun to play with and sounds different when you strike it too.

--

As for stringers, there MUST be a stringer a reasonable distance from you. Even a tennis stringer person could potentially do a badminton racquet. See if there are any league level clubs near you and ask if they can put you in touch with their stringer (they are usually cheaper than shops too).

--

Seeing as the racquet and you are how you interact with the sport, pick a racquet you enjoy playing with and feels nice. Nothing worse than going somewhere in ill fitting clothes, or playing badminton with a racquet you dislike.

9. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

BG65Ti is generally regarded as the most durable string in Yonex's lineup. Nanogy 95 is also famous for its longevity, although I've never played with it before. The string that's lasted me the longest is actually Ashaway's Zymax 66 fire, but I wasn't hitting very hard shots with it.

10. spectacularoctopus

Thank you both :) What about the Exbolt 63? Seems like it’s similar to BG66 Ultimax with better durability.

11. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Personally I like exbolt more the bg66um. It felt more repulsive, and it's also more durable. Keep in mind that it has a bit harder feel than 66um though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

12. spectacularoctopus

Thanks. I will get the NF800 with Exbolt 63 at 10.5kg (23 pounds) then. I read you need to hit the shuttle with exbolt more precisely in the center, but I hope it won't be as bad since this is not really my strength haha