Help how to defeat this player

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chard021, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Chard021

Chard021 New Member

I am an all around doubles player but more on the offensive side. Self taught by watching videos and played with more skilled players than me.

This player i matched up with was trained by one of the country's top players. Its the first time we played together. The hard part is knowing his next shot will be, what i noticed is that he has one form to execute either drop, smash, or clear.

I have a really good defense against his smash and i can say that my smash is steeper and powerful than his. My problem is that his drops are very fast and dagger like and really close to the net. Since he has one form, when he prepares his shot i can't really tell if he is going to smash or drop. He leaps and put his hand up extending his arm like a smash, but he then drops.

My tendency is to prepare to defend a smash when he leaps. Then he he does a drop shot so close to the net, and does cross court drops that neither my partner nor i can really chase the shuttle.

Can anyone give tips on what to do

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Make the opponent lift so you get the attack.

Play mid court pushes so the shuttle goes down.

Vary your service return (some players always play to the back court) - play net, mid court push.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If you cant read him then dont read.
    It will just give you bad position while other hand he actually read your reaction. If you move closer to the net he can smash to your body or if you are to close to the net he will do attack clear.

So just dont read & be ready for whatever upcoming shot. The rule simply dont let your opponent read you & if you cant read them, its the more reason for you not to let them read you.

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

In addition to what Cheung said;

You say they have the same preparation for clear, drop, smash. That is how it should be. Both you and your partner should be ready to intercept the drops. I have a hard time believing you can't make it to the drops.

Are your clears / lifts making their way to the very back of the court?

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You gotta get coaching to not move until you know where it's going!!

And you need to catch it on video and have somebody/a coach, do that kind of shot to you a lot, until you can deal with it..

Also i'm not sure if there's such a thing as a fast drop that is so close to the net. e.g. I doubt it'd be within 50% of the way between the net and the service line.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If lifts from OP are not deep enough into the rear court, the drop needs to travel less distance and can be played steeper and closer to the net and give the impression that they are faster because there is less time to react. Makes absolute sense when OP stands way back to defend the smash, the lift is not deep enough and opponent hits good dropshots at doubles service line or slightly infront of it.

I personally guess that the lifts are not good enough and OP has issues with the split step or its timing. IMO it would be benificial to play defence vs. attack drills on half court and learn to focus on the shuttle. Not the movement or motions of the player, if he really has no tells in this department.

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

That makes sense.. So these lifts that are short and high enough, how steep have you manged to fast drop them?

(I don't mean a slow drop that got affected by gravity a lot, to get progressively steeper, and was much steeper near the end of its journey than it was at the start). But a fast drop, so, less speed than a half smash. And maybe they mistakenly think the fast drop was faster than it was, because they had so little time, due to it being preceded by a poor lift/clear that let to the drop coming when they were less ready..

You mention "...lifts are not good enough...opponent hits good dropshots at doubles service line or slightly infront of it."

I wonder to what extent one can determine whether a lift was poor cased on where one is standing..

In the case where a player has their back foot on the doubles back tramline,

e.g. here in the image below, they do a scissor , but I don't think the clear/lift would've been bad. their scissor lands (feet having switched of course), with their new front foot in a similar position to where the old front foot was.. The new front foot is a tiny bit back from where the old front foot was but very close. Their new back foot is behind their old back foot.

I suppose that would be a scissor on the spot.. The back foot is just moved back to help them get forward into the court..

Would you agree that wouldn't have been a bad lift/clear that they were responding to?

[​IMG]

If on the other hand, their scissor was coming forwards, such that their new front foot is in front of their old front foot, and their new back foot is in front of their old back foot? I suppose that would certainly indicate that a lift/clear was poor?

Another scenario is if the person receiving the lift, is doing block jump style footwork with contact made with back foot in line with the doubles back tramline, would you say that indicates a normal lift/clear?

#7 ralphz, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Entirely dependent on the quality and ability of the opponent. A lift in front of the doubles line is a gift for a really good player. A moderate player can’t take advantage of a short lift so easily.

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just to clarify for the OP, the title of the thread is how to defeat the opponent.

Since you haven’t had systematic training before, I think it will be pretty difficult without following some sort of training system and building up strong foundations in technique.

The tactics above will help prolong the rallies a bit and help get you a bit closer but the opponent’s experience will still let them win over you.

ucantseeme likes this.
  10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

well, would you call this case receiving a lift/clear in front of the doubles line? (though probably not a bad lift/clear that the player there is receiving)

[​IMG]

#10 ralphz, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @ralphz

Serious, you post a screenshot and ask if the lift was good?

Maybe I wasn't clear before due lazyness and language issues. If I talk about a bad lift, it not only depends where the shuttle lands or must be taken, it also depends how much I make my opponent move and at which angle he can hits. It also depends how high the lift is, because higher means more time to recover from that what happens before. So we don't know what happend before, we don't know how much opponent needs to move to the point to hit his drop shot, we don't know what happend before at OP side, are/were they under pressure before, or off balance, fail to recovery, were they not ready for the drop shot, are there gaps created due the attack, what distance need they move to reach the drop shot, this all creates the pressure, not only where the shuttle got taken and land, right? At which position the opponent hits his drop shot and to which position? If the drop is straight and to the middle, OPs side loose time and a bad lift, to the middle, not deep enough, not high enough and if the drop goes to the middle of the court (which is more common than to the corners in doubles) needs a shorter distance to travel. Also OP and his partner have a fraction of a second to think about it, who will take it, so OP loose time again and the drop leaves the impression that was fast. Just my thoughts, I wasn't there, OP has not video, didn't report the whole rally, just a shot which seems so fast.

I think, that his opponent is better than OP, a steeper smash don't mean anything to be close at level and can also just related to body height. With all tips OP can squeeze maybe a few points, but wouldn't dominate his opponent - realistic.

IMO Yuta Watanabe and Jung Jae sung is/was a good examples how a deceptive drop shot, can be a winner without letting opponent even make it touch on a flatter and not deep lift. So why shouldn't this not work against some players who never got coaching and just play?

time code of a rally how I mean it.

#11 ucantseeme, Jul 9, 2022
    Cheung likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Is the player a top international mens player ?

what’s the trajectory of the shuttle?

Are both pictures from the same rally?

ucantseeme likes this.
  13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The concept here is being able to tell if the clear was good or bad based on where they are standing! So does it matter if that's a top international mens player?

(And yes it is a top international mens player pictured)

Both pictures are of the same shot. The picture on the left is he's preparing to hit it, the picture on the right is him landing his scissor kick.

Suppose a clear was as deep as possible, then it'd be dropping straight down. Would a bad clear going very short, ever be really high and drop straight down? I guess that'd be pretty rare at any level?

As for the trajectory, well, how would you describe it, if it's a normal clear, not like a flat punch clear / flat lift?

And i'd have thought maybe that the way he is standing, indicates that it's not a flat punch clear / flat lift? (With flatter shots one doesn't tend to have time to get into that kind of position where you are there, behind it, waiting for it)

Given that picture, what kind of trajectories are possible for that clear or lift that he is taking? And of those trajectories, in which of them would you say it must have been a bad clear, and in which of them would you say it was a good clear?

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Is this singles? If it is singles totally different szenario because we don't know where the base position was shifted to and again, we don't know the distance, the position of the opponent and so on. Would you mind to share the video what you mean. In singles the same lift can create more pressure than in doubles, because longer distance to reach, different shot selection, because more court to cover and so on.

BTW I was not talking about a clear (which can mean more time to react) I meant a lift.

#14 ucantseeme, Jul 9, 2022
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nope. I have already said there are other factors to consider. I remain consistent but you are trying to pull me into your concepts which are more limited. Context is important.

ucantseeme likes this.
  16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

well, when I wrote "I wonder to what extent one can determine whether a lift was poor based on where one is standing.."

you replied saying "Entirely dependent on the quality and ability of the opponent. A lift in front of the doubles line is a gift for a really good player. A moderate player can’t take advantage of a short lift so easily."

So that's the context you gave.

And i'm very skeptical of that.. For example the image I showed, Suppose two top international players.(as in that image),. If you count that image as a lift in front of the doubles line, then based on your context, it seems you'd have to say that's a bad clear. And i'm not convinced that it is a bad clear!

And I think you are veering away from the criteria you gave there, because you then went to asking what the trajectory of the shot is, (Which is a criteria you didn't mention above). You've mentioned that you previously spoke of "other factors" to consider (presumably) on the question of "to what extent one can determine whether a lift was poor cased on where one is standing", and I guess I can't see that, but ok.

Also, a side point, if somebody does a lift/clear that only goes half court, and their opponent doesn't punish it and win the point, then the person that did a lift/clear that only went half court, still did a terrible shot, regardless of the ability of the opponent.

#16 ralphz, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Certainly not so.

18. Chard021

Chard021 New Member

Thank you everyone for the tips and explanations. I really should improve my game more at this point.

I think my clear wqs long and high enough but the problem i remembered was i was preparing to defend for a smash rather than preparing myself with whatever shot he will be making. Also, his style was not to attack at the height of his jump but rather has a hang time and waits before he lands on the ground to make his shot. He is taller than me by a few inches and skinnier. I have an average to big build but am fast for my built but seems its not enough.