Precrime3's Review Of Arcsaber 11 Pro (3U)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by precrime3, May 9, 2022.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Overview

The arcsaber 11 pro is a worthy direct upgrade to the adored Arcsaber 11 used by many of the greats of badminton in all disciplines. Upon using, you immediately recognize the refinements and what modern technology has done for a decade old idea: the premise of having a racket with enhanced control while providing a stable and comfortable experience in all other aspects.

While this is a good racket and upgrade to the OG, I have since sold my racket after making my review and will continue to use the 100zz into the foreseeable future. Let’s talk about that.

Footage
    If you just want to see footage of me playing with this racket, here’s a lesson I did with my coach where I used it.

Appearance
    Sexy as hell. Sleek and matte. Looks horrible on camera, looks amazing in person. I would still use it even if it was ugly, and appearance has no weight into how I think of a racket but I wanted to just mention.

Control
    Obviously if you’re reading this review or looking at this racket, this is what you care about. Can gladly say it doesn’t disappoint here.

Spinning net shots is where I personally the greatest benefit. My setup is 100zz with xb63 at 27 (now 28) and while I can get sufficient spin to force lifts, this was next level. The string feel I had felt reminiscent of when I used aerobite. Exbolt isn’t a slippery string like 65ti or 66, but it isn’t grippy like bg80. On the arcsaber 11 pro I was pleasantly surprised with how much bite it felt I had.

Line placements on smashes were a delight. After adjusting to the different swing speed and timing, line placement was basically on par with my 100zz. And this was like the first time I was using this racket compared to my years of using the 100zz.

Drops took a lot of work adjusting actually. I was used to a very small wrist/swing action with the 100zz’s repulsion to get fast drops to go over the net and land on the T. Initially a lot of the drops were going into the middle of the net - not a good sign. Even after I got used to the timing and was getting back to my baseline level of accuracy, it was still unsettling using this much swing for a drop - guess I’ve gotten so accustomed to repulsion setups. On the plus side, sliced drops were spicy and I got tons of slice thanks to the shuttle hold and string movement.

The shuttle hold came into play when doing clears and lifts too. The shuttle hold felt like I could change my mind at the last minute and change shots or directions entirely.

Power
    Meh. And it’s not a lack of head weight or swing speed - it’s the lack of repulsion. I’ve gotten more oomph out of headlight rackets or 4U/5U rackets. But it’s just physics. The more you optimize for shuttle hold, the less repulsion you have. In a game where speed trumps all, the I imagine this racket will see the most use in either singles or other specialized situations like mixed doubles front.

Full on smashes don’t suffer the worse IMO - it’s the more wristy and finger power shots that take the most beating here. Half smashes, Drives, flat pushes, hold and flicks, fast lifts, flick serves, etc.

Speed
    Smooooth swing. A delight to hold in the hand. Balance is great, frame is not the quickest but def not slow. Has a stable acceleration which gives confidence to the user. Racket maintains the same design language of the OG by providing a consistent and predictable swing time and time again.

This doesn’t even have a fully recessed frame which is the craziest part for me.

Repulsion or Control? You Can Only Have One
    This isn’t necessarily a ding against the Arcsaber 11 P, so feel free to skip this. It’s more my thoughts and an open discussion about the main attributes a racket can really have.

In my opinion, repulsion/power rackets will always be more favorable/easier to sell because it’s something naturally desirable in the sport of badminton. Badminton favors speed above all else - movement speed in singles, and racket speed in doubles.

While the case is weaker in singles, a repulsive racket means the shuttle is reaching the ground faster which keeps opponents on their toes. In doubles where the point of the game is to hit the shuttle through opponents, faster shots will make their time difficult.

When it comes to control, it doesn’t scale as much IMO. If you’re hitting the lines already, you can’t hit the lines more. If you’re nets are tumbling already, more tumble doesn’t help. Conversely if you add another 10,20,30 km/h to your smash that’’s always desirable (all other things the same).

Personally I continue to work on my skills and see the fruits of my labor - my clear/lift shot quality is getting frustratingly good, hitting the lines more consistently. Drops are right on the T, spinning net shots sufficient. For me there is little incentive to change from a repulsion racket to a control racket, for marginally improved attributes in an area where I already excel at (especially at the expense of another attribute - repulsion/power).

Verdict
    Arcsaber 11 Pro is a worthy successor and if you are a fan of the OG you will love this upgrade. I would recommend upgrading to it. For anyone else, I would carefully consider what attributes you like most about your current racket, as well as your playstyle. How do you win your points in a game? What disciple do you play the most? If you are the kind of player this racket is intended for, I have no doubt you will shine and love this racket.

Khamenman, visor and BadmintonDave like this.
  2. Xaos

Xaos New Member

nice review brother! if you were to compare this to 88s pro, which one has more power and repulsion? also the easier one to pull out the power from. thank you

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I have 3u s pro, and borrowing an 11pro. Similar on control, the s pro has more power for me currently, but it was super weak when I first got it. The arcsaber seems to suit a more relaxed style and if I can get power out of it I'm not sure I'd be able to pick a favourite. I'd say the arc has more hold and the s pro more repulsion, but its still well into the hold feel.

Question now is, for the arcsaber restring. Do I add to the hold feel with aerobite, or try to reduce it with BG80. It currently has LN1 at about 2lb under my ideal. Still a big hold feeling off a repulsive string.

(Great review. I hope its OK to hijack!)

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    No worries about the hijack. The 88s pro def has more repulsion giving its doubles nature and it was made before Yonex went on this crazy interest of wanting to make every racket super shuttle hold.

No one can answer your string question, it's literally personal preference. What do YOU Want?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Curious which racket is your go to currently for doubles? That you consider more repulsive. 3U NF800? 4U 88D Pro?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I use the 4u 100zz for doubles. But I probably would pick 88d pro, put exbolt 63 on that, you've got a REPULSIVE rocket.

visor and jerby like this.
  7. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

After playing with Arc11p 3u for 3 weeks. I'd say the smash is not weak.
    The first string was BG80@30, and it didn't go well. I got injured due to unfamiliar with this racket.
    After some adjustments, I started to realize that the most upper part of the string bed is the only place
    that can give you clean and powerful shots. After the string break, I restrung with Kizuna Z69@31x33
    which is also my setup on AX88Sp. The feel of the 2 rackets are very much alike, both have the stiff
    upper string bed and both control extremely good. While Ax88Sp has better defense and tolerance,
    the Arc11p has better smash and solidity.

Imo, what makes you feel the lack of smash power is :
    1. You need to find and get used to the stiff upper string bed. Both Ax88Sp and Arc11p has such area
    ( Ax88Sp's is already small, Arc11p's is even smaller yet more solid )
    2. I've picked from many Arc11p, and most of their shafts are not stiff and repulsive enough. The hold feel
    of the frame if already making it soft, and a stiff shaft is required to balance the feel.

I will apply the Arc11p to replace my 4u AX88Dp in doubles. It gives me better accuracy while other factors
    are unchanged ( same level ).

8. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I agree with your observations above. I tried Arc11P and ended up selling it as well. My main racket now is 100ZZ.

While you might be right about why many people feel their smash is lacking (including myself actually), at the same time it doesn't change the fact that other rackets, mostly the replusion-type rackets (that also helped by having more head-weight), can give you better, more powerful smashes. Btw, are you still using the Arc11P now?

9. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

Yes, I'm still using A11p now. It is still one of my favorite rackets for doubles.
    Currently my favorite rackets includes :
    - 4u 100ZZ
    - 3u ARS100X
    - 3u ARC11Pro
    - 4u AX88SPro
    - 3u DriveX9X

Khamenman likes this.
  10. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I am impressed with your taste and preference! I also like 100ZZ and 100X. I tried to love 11Pro but somehow I just didn't click with it. Too much shuttle hold to my liking although I have to say I love anything else. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.. Never tried 88SPro although I just recently purchased 88DPro. I also have Drive9X in my radar but somehow Drive series is the least popular compared to the Auraspeed or Thruster series. How do you compare it against 100X and 11Pro?

11. Win Htet

Win Htet New Member

If both 88s pro and 11pro have shuttle hold properties, which one of them produces more power

12. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

IMO

Control - 11pro > 100x
    Power - 100x > 11pro
    Speed- 100X > 11pro

100x has a bigger sweetspot which makes it a more forgiving racket to play with. 11pro require good technique to utilize the stiff shaft + even balance.

13. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

My experience is the og 88s has more power over the 11pro. 88s pro i was dissatisfied due to lack of power, the last time i had test it. Not a direct comparison but the 11pro power feels adequate.

14. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

How does Drive9X sit in the comparison above? Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my previous question

15. NickifiedNg

I've only tried the Drive9x like once

Control - 11pro > D9X > 100x
    Power - 100x > D9X > 11pro
    Speed- 100X > 11pro > D9X

D9x plays similarly to a nanoflare 700, but the D9x is stiffer and has a more solid hitting feedback. Swings sower than the 11pro by abit. But the racket is easy to maneuver and fairs well in drives and defensive plays

Khamenman likes this.
  16. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback! Are you sure D9X has less power than 100X? Based on Victor's chart, D9X is stiffer and has more head weight than 100X

17. NickifiedNg

It was much easier to access power on the 100x than on the less forgiving D9X. I would say you need better technique to use the D9X similarly to the arcsaber. Because it's a slower frame, the smashes didn't feel as sharp and strong