Please point out my mistakes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by s6edge, Aug 7, 2022.

1. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

Hello,

Can someone point out my mistakes and give advice to improve, please? Any critics would be appreciated. Please be brutal. Don't worry about hurting my feeling. Thank you all in advanced.

I am the one in dark purple.

#1 s6edge, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you get training?

Lots to improve upon but could you change without a coach and feedback?

Here’s one thing you can improve on by yourself or with friends: when you run and stretch for shots in the forecourt, you are a little off balance and recovery is slow. Practice swinging your left arm backwards when you stretch forward or sideways with your right arm going towards the shuttle.

3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I agree with Cheung, lots to improve on. Focus on one or two things at a time. Here are my observations from watching a few minutes of footage;

1hr:45 - You were still moving backwards when hitting an overhead shot. Get under it first, then you can move into the shot (more power, accuracy etc).

Stand AT the T when serving. You have a partner to cover the rest of the court. Standing up to 10cm closer to the net means the shuttle is in the air a shorter time, and should be harder for the opponent to attack.

1:45:59. The way your racquet moved looked unnatural in the smash. I can't tell the reason, it just doesn't look natural.

1:46:20. You seemed to jump after you landed on your lunge and kept moving another step to the right. The point of lunges is to rebalance you to be ready for the next shot.

1:46:43 If you do a straight drop, either you or your partner should cover the net returns. Maybe a bit of mis-communication, but one of you should cover it.

1:46:54. Look at the height of the shuttle when you make contact. It looks like it dropped below the net cord and you could have taken it a bit sooner and a bit higher.

Can armchair analyse more if you want. But information overload can be detrimental :)

4. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

No, I don't have the fund for a badminton coach at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback. If you have time, please provide more feedback. Thanks a lot.

5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Just to clarify, is the footage from the first hour and 45 minutes useful? Or do you only want critiquing from 1hr 45 onwards?

1:51:55 - Play more netshots. You lift a lot when you could get an advantage from doing a good straight or cross net shot.

1:52:27 - Are you playing the role of the lady here? Ideally your team would be in "attack" formation on the serve. This means the server is as near to the T as possible and you cover the spaces around them when the shuttle comes back to you. Stand half a step left and two steps back from where you are currently (if you aren't being the lady and the server covering the rear court).

1:53:25 - I would say you are out of position here. The opponent was pushed to the back of their court, so you can move your position further forward. By going too far backwards you make a big gap at the front of the court. If you imagine a line that is 3/4 the length of the court, that would be realistically the distance you need to cover at the point of them hitting the shuttle back to you. I can explain further if you need it.

1:54:00 - Make sure your flick serves go behind your opponent. It's the only thing that matters with flick serves.

1:55:52 - Make sure to have your racquet "up". This means having it at or above the height of the net. You can play a better shot choice if you can do a block instead of taking the shuttle below the net height.

1:56:43 + 1:57:10 get behind the shuttle, stop and hit it.

1:57:29 - Hit the shuttle at a higher point. The lower it drops, the less shots you can play and the fewer angles you can utilise. Also try and time your lead racquet leg landing on the ground and when you hit the shuttle. If you hit the shuttle THEN your foot lands on the ground, you are off balance and play a weaker shot.

That's all I've got for you for now :)

6. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

Most of the games before 1hr 45, I stand on the other side of the court. I I picked the game at 1hr 45 because i stand right in front of the camera which makes it easier to see my techniques and movements. I also feel like I make many mistakes more than other games.