Ng Tze Yong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pajrul, Oct 31, 2021.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Told u over rated guy. 3rd game cant make it still.

Lost to a Thai. The thai just keeps on pressing and smashing and the defence mistakes came. Takes longer time. ;)

2. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

If anything..the loss brings into focus his flaws...Trying to be constructive here haha. Lessons can be learnt from the newly crowned Malaysian MD world championship winner.
    Screw what people say....just keep improving under the radar..

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don’t take note of keyboard warriors on badmintonforum. Hehe

4. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I doubt M"sian shuttlers knew about badminton forums. Social Media and our signature awful mainstream media are annoying enough for them.

5. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

Watching him play yesterday ( Thursday) at the Australian Open. I think he still have a long way to go to get to top 10. He lacks the "edgy aggression" that all top ten players have. The ability to raise the level of their game at most crucial moments. He's always playing 'safer shots" and his hesitance to kill even if there is a obvious chance is so frustrating. How many times have you seen his "finish off" shots get returned?
    However he is a bonafide talent and flaws are not unassailable I believe.. and can be rectified given time.

#65 pajrul, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  6. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

His playstyle used to be ultra-soft rally. So, this progress is toward the right step.

7. lurker

lurker Regular Member

8. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

I think now more than ever, he needs to muscle up...in order to get into the big boys club

9. Vestige117

Agreed. NTY needs more power, power, and more power. His speed and racket skills is already good enough for World Tour but his legs are not strong when needed, and his smash is really weak.

I heard he will be taking a break next month to prepare for All England. Hopefully BAM put him in gym for a longer period of time.

10. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Wrong thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Vestige117

Same script, same strategy against Laksya Sen THREE match in a row. Win 1st set, lose tamely 2nd, and self-destruct 3rd.

Where is the fire, the aggressiveness? NTY just happy to clear and drop ( 98% error in 3rd game)? I do not think he will do any better if he use this passive gameplay all the time.

NTY could have won the match all day if he just uses any attacking shots except clears and intentional lifting.

12. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

he needs the ammunition in order to be able to fire like this... i am sure he wants to do this anyway.. seeing him being successful in the first set..
    but ...not yet

I still think he did good. (as opposed to the other guy)....

#72 pajrul, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  13. Vestige117

I think so as well. I heard WCH will put him in more physical training this year, so that's that. I just hope they will adopt a more proactive approach when playing shots instead of just hoping for opponents to make mistake.

14. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Physicality had always been the bane of Malaysian players. M'sia has too much delicious food that is bad for any athlete, and it's known that you can find any Chinese M'sian shuttlers in Bak Kut Teh stall. I used to think that shuttlers' diet is controlled by their trainers or coaches, not anymore.
    AFAIK, no M'sian shuttlers have ever changed their play style except for LCW and Soh Wooi Yik, the rest pretty much just stayed in their comfort zone. Some coach (I can't recall who) commented that they will find and utilize the strength of each player instead of asking them to change their style.

15. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

To be fair, if I remember correctly (my goodness it has been 15 years), LCW was also always criticized for being too passive and too willing to clear and lift instead of playing aggressive shots. He only revamped his playstyle after he got thrashed by LD in the 2008 Beijing Olympics final. I also noticed that LCW also became much, much more toned as opposed to his skinny build in line with his shift to a more aggressive playstyle. In Beijing 2008 he was already 26 as well.

There is still time to bulk up, but NTY has to be willing to put in the hard work. It may take years before he has the right build.

NTY is much slower than pre-2009 LCW though, and much weaker in defence.

16. Vestige117

NTY plays much better in Thailand Master, strategically. Good amount of smashes, slice crosscourts, and drops. It is obvious that his movements around the court as well as shot quality is improved compared to 2021/early 2022.

If he works hard, get more muscle build, and becomes more proactive, NTY will be MAS MS1 in no time. Since many MAS players used to play rally (wait until opponent do mistakes), I believe it would be a waste if NTY fails to show his full performance.

17. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

There is a perceptible change in his play in the Thai masters. So far he's only met with lower-ranked players, so he has leeway to experiment and test. Tomorrow we will see his resolve His higher-ranked opponents won't be as impressed with this new aggressiveness and speed.

18. Vestige117

No winning mentality right now, plays like jelly. Head is always down? The way I see it, NTY's lifting is erratic at best. Too short, too slow, mid court lifts, etc. He needs to be confident in lifting.

19. Vestige117

There was an opportunity to smash, but NTY just clears it anyway, leading to his own downfall. Strategically wrong.

Update: Already lost. Opponent works so hard to keep the shuttle below the tape, and NTY just happily lifting as if his defence is good. Disappointing performance overall.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I don't know why he is thought so highly? He is mediocre and needs to work a lot harder starting by not keeping his head down.
    The day he looks up is the day his improvements starts and hope for Malaysian badminton.

#80 nokh88, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023