Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

You're definitely looking fit. Good speed in the legs.

However, what stood out to me in the compilation was that when you move forward and lunge, often you fall even more forward or sideways after or during your shot. Or after lunging with your right foot, you bring your left foot forward to help you recover back to base. This is inefficient and slow compared to just pushing off with your right foot. In some instances you moved sideways first before moving back.
    I think some front court footwork drills will help your game. Maybe even purposefully doing some deeper, further than usual lunges, just to get comfortable with it. Turning it from 3-4 steps to one lunge and one push back.

I mean, there were only a few examples in the video you posted, but you could review more footage of yourself to really identify when it happens.

This should improve your game significantly without too much effort. You likely already learned the footwork at some point, so I think it would just a little bit of a reminder to clean up the rough footwork. It will take some time for it to become a habit, but significantly less so considering you film yourself a lot and have a great feedback loop.

Simeon and visor like this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

:):):)
    Wow this is good stuff and after looking back I see what you mean! This should have a huge impact to my game if I can clean this up, thank you :)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You look more experienced in working the shuttle around the court.

Power is obviously a big part of your game. Probably disguised drop shots are not a big feature of your game.

For the smash, sometimes the whole of your left arm swings backwards to the back of the court. This makes the recovery of balance more uncontrolled. Sometimes, after the smash, your left arm goes backwards but you bend the left elbow so that the left forearm comes up - this definitely makes you less awkward,

The below two quotes - you can still improve on last microsecond turning of the racquet face

Have a look at the slow motion of the linked video at 1.37

At the late phase of the swing, the player turns the racquet face. In contrast, you are holding the racquet very panhandle, the racquet face is square on to the shuttle most of your swing contributing to inefficient technique, using excessive body movement to generate power, less efficiency of motion, losing balance, needing more time to recover balance.

Note how the player lands after hitting the shuttle - heels aren’t touching the ground.

#1303 Cheung, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

See below two posts

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So I am still panhandle on my overhead shots ??

6. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

yes you are panhandling.

remember, many pages back, we asked you to video yourself throwing a shuttle on court, then from same spot hit a clear for comparison (like in tago's video) - which you in fact suggested to someone else in the other thread. where is that video?

your game strategy and consistency may have gotten better from playing more, but the strokes have not improved at all. albeit sounding a bit harsh, you are pretty close to your ceiling for improvement unless you fix that basic overhead stroke. the more you play with your current lack of technique the harder it is to change.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I’ll try to get a video off throwing shuttles
    Actually fixing this quite challenging
    I appreciate the feedback

Cheung likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I made a few edits for my last post. Sorry about the changes.

Yes, you’re quite right changing will be a challenge. You will need extra dexterity with the fingers. Perhaps you can ask some people at your club to help show you how they do the overhead shot without having a significant panhandle grip.

Agree with the comment that you’re close to your ceiling for improvement with your current technique.

9. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    When comimg down from the jump smash let your heels come down before pushing forward. 13 months ago I didn't and my achilleus tenon was cut with a loud voice. Still my left calve is underpowered

BadmintonDave likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I can definitely work on this. I wasn’t aware that my grip is still panhandle
    I mean I see it on some shots but it thought overall I was fine…
    I do see how I’m not pronating properly though

Cheung likes this.
  11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So I have asked people in my club and no one is seeing the problem that you all are seeing
    I have even asked a former national player ….

I am very much a visual learner. Are you able to make a video and show me first how I’m swinging and why it’s wrong and then the correct way ??

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Am I in a badminton grip when I’m prepping for my overhead swing or are you seeing me chasing to a panhandle upon impact ?

13. Signature

Signature Regular Member

I'll try to make one tomorrow!

Edit: here is a freeze frame from 2:05 which shows the panhandle grip.

[​IMG]

#1313 Signature, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Cheung and Mason like this.
  14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Oh man , caught red handed :(

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I find that quite odd no one in your club thinks you have panhandle because your slow motion clips of the smash look pan handle to me.

To be honest, I think you already generate quite a bit of power as it is. I suspect the people in your club don’t want you to develop an even harder smash……..a bit of a joke but there might be an element of truth there. LOL.

In the picture above, it looks like the left arm stretches out to the left side - try to make it go towards the net. If the left arm swings out to the side, you get more sideways rotation - I think that might be one aspect contributing to the awkwardness of your landing after hitting the shuttle.

If you can stretch the left arm in front of the body, you get better control of direction of the shuttle. There would be no wasted energy in sideways rotation - all the energy goes forward and downwards.

Once in a while, videoing from directly behind the court would be useful.

BadmintonDave, Woesi and Mason like this.
  16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback!
    After doing some shadow swings at home today I think if I lead more with my elbow(and have a better grip) I can get my forehand shots to be better … does that seem reasonable , that’s is for me to think about leading with the elbow ?

yeah and I find that no one has an eye for detail at my club

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are you referring to your right elbow? If so yes.

Don’t underestimate the role of the left arm mechanics which is what I wrote about.

18. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Great progress over the years.

Never a friend of pointless smashing, but on the other hand I love to play singles where smashing is more of a tactical instrument compared to the almost bruteforce approach in doubles. But check your rally at 2:50 for example. You jump smash several times from the middle and you are not able to penetrate their defense (even finally losing the rally). The reason is quite simple, you just smash without purpose,a hard smash is not the goal, a good aimed smash is. You smash directly infront of the opponents, who don't have any issues to lift them.
    So, try to either aim for the sides or middle, so that they have to move or atleast turn their bodies or take a step, or , if you target the body, aim higher. If you try to generate a steep smash, you should avoid to play directly infront of the opponent, just 1m to the left or right will have a much greater impact on your smash performance.

Mason likes this.
  19. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Considering that you have developed an effective shot with a panhandle, it is going to be very difficult to get rid of it. The racket face angle will be different, which will result in a loss of control, power, and it will simply feel like an unnatural shot. Your entire subconscious will try to get you to revert back to the panhandle, because it feels better. Even if you make some progress in a practicing session, when you play a game, your subconscious will prefer to play the more effective shot, and it will undo the progress.

Every coach I've ever met thinks learning the right technique from scratch is easier than having to unlearn and relearn it. However, I think that with the other aspects of the hitting technique that you already possess, like footwork and body rotation, it might all fall into place if you get the grip right.

I've never experienced it myself so I can't speak from experience, but I know an old coach that would tape the racket to the player's hand in the right grip and would have them play endless overhead shots. This would force their bodies and minds to learn the new movement without slipping back into the bad habit. The only alternative that would come close to this is for a coach to stand next to the court, only look at your grip and immediately tell you every time it slips. Also, don't focus on where the shuttle goes. Don't focus on the result, because at the start you will be able to get a better result with a worse technique. Instead focus on how it feels.

I remember when learning overhead hitting technique with the correct grip I was constantly hitting it to the left without trying to. So while it's not a good thing, at least if that's happening to you, you'll know you have the correct grip. Of course you can hit shots with the correct grip without that happening, so it's not a necessity, but it is what I experienced.

Cheung, Mason and Signature like this.
  20. Signature

Signature Regular Member

My coach made me do this during some of my junior sessions, it actually works even though you look really stupid :))

SnowWhite and Cheung like this.