Top 5 Badminton Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Uncle tan, May 11, 2014.

1. parijat punj

parijat punj New Member

Business Development Manager
  2. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
  3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

4. Monster

Monster Regular Member

What about bursitis, guys? This is located at the back of your heel (below your Achilles tendon).

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Golfer's elbow (GE) is something that that badminton players suffer from -- especially if they squeeze the handle too tightly (too often). Often, players with GE mistakenly believe they have tennis elbow (TE). Both are tendinopathies in the forearm near the elbow. However the location differs. One is on the medial side while the other one is on the lateral side of the forearm.

Is this something that you dealt with? Still have it? It might be associated with an Achilles tendinopathy, heel spurs &/or plantar fasciitis.

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

@SystemicAnomaly Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is indeed achilles tendonitis. I still have it, on both heels and on my right heels, the pain has spread to the tendon area above the heel (the achilles heel). I was wondering if this is a common injury.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Sprained ankles & Achilles tendinopathy are both very common with badminton players. If there is inflammation associated with the Achilles tendon, then it is referred to Achilles tendonitis. It is an overuse injury that is often a result of an over-pronated foot & hard landings.

Age & heavier body weight can be contributing factors. It is possible that a hard floor might also be a factor. I've played in badminton gyms where it was obvious that there was a hard concrete floor under the mat / playing surface.

Decent shoes with good heel / foot support & stability could help. In addition to support, good shoes will often provide decent cushioning in the midsole and insole. (Midsole cushioning might be even more important than insole cushioning). If you have an overpronated foot, then proper arch support, that is appropriate for your feet, is a must. Keep in mind that arch support that is too high can be just as bad as arch support that is inadequate.

Caveat: if your Achilles tendinopathy is stressed even more, a partial or complete rupture of the Achilles tendon might result. Hopefully, you will take measures so that never happens.

Some great info here:
    https://www.physioroom.com/advice/injuries/sport/badminton-top-5-injuries

#27 SystemicAnomaly, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  9. asdqwe5

asdqwe5 New Member

I get shoulder joint pain from playing too much (few sessions a week), or practicing the forehand smash/clear too much. When I rotate my whole arm, it feel like something is crackling in the joint, like some bone protrusion hitting other bone protrusion. Are there exercises to help my shoulder joint recover?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You need to see a doctor for that.

SystemicAnomaly likes this.
  11. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    The shoulder is the most complicated joint in the human body and with the greatest range of movement. Shoulder problems can often be brought on as a protective strategy of the joint to restrict movement. Muscles, ligaments and tendons go in to protective contraction which is the primary cause of the pain and stiffness. One of the best physio treatments you can do for shoulder is something called "pendulum rotation shoulder exercises", or “Codman’s pendulum exercise”. This involves leaning forward and supporting yourself on the good arm, with a weight in the other hand and, while trying to keep the shoulder loose, allow the weight to either swing or rotate. Change the direction now and then. I’ve cured shoulder problems on more than one occasion using this exercise. It works by stretching all the muscles, tendons and ligaments in relaxed position and releasing the joint from the contractions that are causing the pain.

#31 Kikuhito Senshi, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    SystemicAnomaly likes this.
  12. asdqwe5

asdqwe5 New Member

Interesting, I will try it, thank you!

13. visor

visor Regular Member