Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I didn't know that he is skipping the Denmark Open. And from what I understand, there is no reports that he is injured. Sounds like from the interview posted at BadmintonPlanet, Momota has confidence issues. 28 years old is not that old for Badminton, considering that LD made it to the semi-finals of the 2016 Olympics at 32, just barely losing to LCW. And LCW himself, at 33 years old, got to the finals at the 2016 Olympics, getting the silver medal there. In fact, LCW was still a top player in the world up to 2019 when he was like 36 years old, but he was forced to retire from his nose cancer.

Unfortunately though, age affects everyone differently. Taufik had a steep decline in his game when he was in his late 20s. I can't say that age is hitting Momota the same way that it hit Taufik, but certainly, Momota must not be feeling confident at the moment if he is skipping the Denmark Open.

2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Age will affect him given his play style.

3. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I recently watched a match between him and Chen Long. In that match his attack is really good. Can't believe what happened to his attack lately.

4. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Is he playing in Aus? I wonder what he is doing during thus break.

5. yuon

yuon Regular Member

6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

According to the Australian Open M & Q list, Momota's entry was withdrawn on October 18.

Prospects for a comeback look dimmer by the week. I have a hunch that Momota will retire from competitive badminton within the fiscal year, but not before playing for NTT-East in the S/J league.

Incidentally, the S/J League season will be launched on November 5, culminating in the TOP 4 Tournament final on February 12, 2023. The NTT-East men's team will actually be visiting my part of the woods on November 13 to play against Tokai Shinko, and I am hoping to see Momota perform live, probably for the last time. It really has been a roller-coaster of a journey for the player and fans alike. :)

Cheung, trizzforce and Schultzier like this.
  7. Justafan90

I hope he doesn’t retire. I mean even if he doesn’t return to his previous form, its okay. Most players dont dominate the way he did back then or how victor currently is. I think he should still be able to compete with the top players christie,ginting, syq, lzj, lky, sen etc.

8. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Oof, so you think it wasn’t just a break hoping to start things fresh with the new year on January? That’s rough & a bit unexpected if he retires I must say.

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I that find his body language, and even verbal responses in the interview recently posted on this thread, point towards retirement. But I am at a loss as to what triggered this sudden decline. He seemed to be making a comeback last autumn; was it the back injury at the French Open 2021? Currently, he appears to be a mental wreck, totally devoid of any confidence, ... and totally devoid of any answers vis-a-vis his current state of helplessness. I am not sure what the NBA's response to this is; the coaches have probably already shifted their sights to Naraoka as the next best thing.

Everything will probably be determined by how Momota fares at the All-Japan Championships this December.

Schultzier likes this.
  10. Justafan90

Im not familiar with the all japan championship. Are all team A gonna be taking part? Momota might stand a decent chance to do well there and find his way back

11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yes, barring injury or quarantine restrictions (as was the case last year), all Team A and B players who want to retain that status are required to attend and perform reasonably well. The AJC is scheduled between December 24 and 30, and may well be livestreamed.

12. Justafan90

Oo interesting. So momota has to fight to keep his spot? I really doubt that right?

13. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

@kurako sorry to hijack KM's thread. But any idea what's going on with WataGashi? They've been off the grid since that shocking loss to Goh and Lai and withdrew from French Open without giving any statements or hints. I can't find anywhere in the news or social media about what's up with them.

Back to the topic of KM, I think he's not doing himself any favours by taking time off instead of participating in these tournaments. Soul-searching and finding the confidence at the expense of these tournaments is not the right way to go. Sure, he has to be prepared for a potentially dark period of continued first/second round losses but it's all part of the process of coming back.

I am quite inclined to agree with kurako that KM might retire after watching his most recent interview where he appeared kind of "lifeless" and jaded. Paris is definitely out of the question at this stage as once Naraoka becomes JPN#1 it might even be harder than ever.

14. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@kurako

Can you take the opportunity to give him a good shake so that he gets back on track?

[​IMG]

kurako likes this.
  15. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

He said he wants to win an international again.

1 more time

Quentin11, kurako and Schultzier like this.
  16. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

[​IMG]
    @kurako @Quentin11 :D^

If you see him, please tell him that we love him and ask him not to retire yet lol!!!

Quentin11 and kurako like this.
  17. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Did he say that in the interview? I don't recall.

Anyhow, will he even be in the top 32 comes January? It will be very difficult for him to make the cutoff for Paris if he can't make the main draw of the 750 tournaments and up, unless he somehow can return to the Momota v2018. As of now, it's a big question mark whether he can even do well at the All Japan Championship. Unless he can remain #1 in the domestic ranking, he's going to need to at least get to the SF. A run in against big smashers like Tanaka Yushi or Hatano Riku in the early rounds can be detrimental.

On the other hand, I definitely won't be shocked anymore if he will not even participate, but announces his retirement instead.

18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

There is nothing in the news. Nevertheless, I think that there may be grounds for concern, hopefully temporary in nature. I watched the WataGashi v. Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai Final live at the Japan Open this September, and Higashino clearly looked to be in trouble. I am not sure to what extent this was conveyed on the computer screen, but she incrementally and visibly lost confidence in the face of an incredibly powerful and agile Puavaranukroh (he was the only player who managed to make his smashes felt in the slow arena on the day). The more she lost confidence, the less she moved and, in the end, with Higashino frozen on the spot, Watanabe looked to be covering 80% of the court and playing 80% of the shots, unsurprisingly, with mixed results.

Interestingly, during the interval, Higashino not only received pep talks from the coaching bench, but also from Watanabe, the latter seeming to be in a commanding position. It is merely my impression, but Higashino appears to have become acutely aware that she is the weak link of the pair. This is affecting her and may have ramifications for the chemistry between both players.

I don't think that she has hit the Momota level, but confidence is certainly an issue.

lodoss and trizzforce like this.
  19. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

yeah, i wonder what really happened. the sudden decline definitely started from the back injury when he was playing nishimoto. suddenly, youtube algorithm popped out a video of past matches between momota vs JC where he was leading 15-0 before JC retired from the match. that speed, kill and play are so missed nowadays. sigh.

20. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

^ and @kurako

Yeah he was making a come back but then all of a sudden he crashed again. Injury is a normal thing in a player's career unless severe injury - if he came back from the accident - I don't see why he couldn't come back from that back injury.

What I think is that the team isn't supporting him as needed or they are too nurturing towards him.

I cannot stop thinking about that body refreshing thing they were talking about. And idk if this is still the training his goes through.

But now I guess it is too late and the attention has already been transferred to Kodai Naraoka. And maybe Momota feels that and he knows the potential of Kodai.

Am I wrong to say that Momota talked about him in the past?