Need help choosing new racket: Mid stiff, slightly head heavy

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by BlueBanana24, Mar 21, 2023.

1. BlueBanana24

BlueBanana24 New Member

I wanna buy a new racket, but I need some recommendations. I've mostly played and enjoyed Li Ning rackets so far and played with the N9-II for 5 years. After it broke in doubles, I went for the 100zz since I wanted to have something with a more solid feeling. I really liked the control and touch, but I had trouble generating enough power due to the stiffness. Combine that with the small sweet spot and the racket was too difficult to play for me, so I end up selling it and now I need something else.

My new racket should be somewhat head heavy, since my playstyle is kinda agressive, but not too head heavy, since I play both mixed and doubles. Furthermore it should be a little bit stiffer and more solid feeling than N9-II, but definitely less stiff than 100zz. So no sledgehammer like Astrox 99 Pro, more like something that sits right in between N9II and 100zz. What would you recommend here?

I would love to go back to Li Ning, but unfortunately they've become super hard to find here in Germany (there is literally not a single online shop that sells the Axforce90..it is not even listed on their official website). So I have to go with Yonex or Victor.

Two rackets that I had in mind so far:

- Ryuga II: How would you rate stiffness compared to 100zz? Is it easier to generate power?

-Astrox 77 Pro: Does it have a similar feeling and touch as 100zz? And how does it compare power wise to the others? Downside here, I absolutely hate the color and paint job.

What are your thoughts and what would you recommend? Thanks in advance :)

2. BlueBanana24

BlueBanana24 New Member

I meant, both singles and doubles ‍♂️

I wanna play more mixed and singles next season tho

3. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Have you tried the astrox 3U 88s pro or 4U 88d pro?

3U 88sp is the most solid feeling racket I have tried and it feels a little more heavy than N9ii but stiffer, but I believe it’s not as stiff as the 100zz.

88dp might feel a little more inbetween N9ii and 100zz in terms of stiffness and handling.

Both of these would be good for singles/md/xd

4. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I would recommend, Victor TKFE or Yonex 88s.

Both have enough to be singles rackets but also fast enough for high end doubles play. Great all rounders that pack a punch.

5. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Regular Member

air humidifier
    I never had any chance to have a racket of the Tectonic series in my hands but according to Li Ning specification and charts, the Tectonic 7 Combat should offer what you are looking for. Slightly head heavy and a tad stiffer than the N9II.
    The good news: It's available in several German shops. Bad news: Price is at least 185.-€

6. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I have an astrox100zz and don't quite understand your comment about not being able to generate power due to the extra stiffness.

You just, swing for the power. It ended up hurting my shoulder because I couldn't handle it.

-
    I also briefly played with a friends' old school original Astrox 88S (I think it was S and not D). It felt really crisp when you strike the shuttle for drives and pushes.

Whatever Astrox 88 model fits your budget (S, D, pro, tour etc) it will be a good choice (test out beforehand if you can).

My best recommendation would be the racquet I use currently, the Astrox Nextage. The price point is great, it's slightly head heavy and anyone that is intermediate or better will be able to use the racquet to its' fullest.

Stiffness is also not super stiff. Somewhere around mid to low flex. Took me a bit of getting used to, but I am glad I did.

I just wish it was available in 3UG4 in England.

7. Neurologik

Neurologik Regular Member

research
    I second original 88S and also I'm playing with Auraspeed 90Kv2 currently and it tick all your boxes (a bit head heavy, not too stiff, fast enough for double and powerfull enough for singles). I prefer 90Kv2 for the extra power but OG88S is so good at everything. (both 4U for me)

PS: Maybe wait for the new Nanoflare 1000Z ;)

8. Sensates

Sensates Regular Member

I'm surprised nobody talk about the 77 Pro yet. Seen many pros using it in the recent tournaments but personally never try it, but I do agree it looks bad.

I'm curious because I'm currently using 88d (non pro) and on a good day I can play well, but don' have many of these days lol.

9. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Just goes to show how looks are all subjective. I really like its paint job compared to 88s/d p. Also looks better than og 99.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

10. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I have come to like the 4U 77 (og) more and more, since I started experimenting with lead tape (like An Se-young does :)).
    Now I have 1 gram extra in the head - 0.3 g at 3 and 9 o’clock and 0.2 g at 12 and 6 o’clock. The goal is to get the same swing weight as the 88d and it feels like it now. Putting too much weight at 12 o’clock will make the racket feel both too slow and too soft. But as it is now I get a more solid feel from the racket and better smashes.

11. AraKyra

AraKyra New Member

I would go for victor TK-FE, slighty stiff and head heavy.