New Li-Ning "N“ string series | N58, N61, N63, N65, N68, N69, N70

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by s_mair, Oct 12, 2022.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Very surprised to see new stock of No.1 being listed on e78 after they messaged loud and clear that Li-Ning has already stopped production of the No.x series already.

Which one is the better string? Guess you'll have to test and make that decision for yourself.

2. DKCPH2018

DKCPH2018 Regular Member

Li Ning No 1 is for sure available in Denmark in all colors from Aug /Sep 2023. They do have limited stock now already

3. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

If price wasn't a factor, what would be the No.1 replacement? N65?

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yes, that should be it. At least going by 0.65 mm diameter and the medium hard hitting feel. But currently it looks more like the No.x series will be up and running in parallel at least for the foreseeable future so N65 will be more like an alternative.

5. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Other then e78 I cannot get any No.1 in Canada. There are single packs here and there but no reels anywhere online.

6. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Currently trying out N61. I'm normally an aerosonic user and I haven't noticed any loss of power. One big plus is that there's definitely less string movement on the N61 compared to AS.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have since nearly 2 weeks N68 on one of my rackets and I'm quite impressed. I need some more time and will drop a detailed review.

Kwarevo, raven1121, Raju and 2 others like this.
  8. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

Can N68 became alternative for bg80?

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I have known that this question will come. I personally don't want to hype or disappoint with a simple "yes" or "no". We all know that BG80 users are very picky, BG80 is very unique and since 20 years nothing ever managed to outperform or replace it for the die hard BG80 users.

First my own introduction:

I'm not the person who does string hopping, experiment on each job and try out much. I'm focused more on my training and performance on court than switching equipment. No offense to other members, this is just my way and philosophy.

I was for a few years BG80 user, became a BG80 Power user due health issues and age caught me up and was never really 100% happy with the BG80 Power. Now I'm a No.1 user for a few years and happy with that string. I string my rackets for nearly a decade and use the same racket model since 2018 so there is no variance in reviews due different rackets or stringers.

It is a great feeling, quite stiff and rough string with an impressive sound. It gives me a much better hitting feedback than No.1 don't fall short in terms of power and the sound is an eargasm. No.1 is much softer than this string, stretch more during string and feels more elastic. N68 is damn crisp.

IMO it is Li-Nings answer to Yonex BG80 in a more modern way. It is not BG80 and IMO it has a bit VS850 DNA inside if IIRC. Didn't used VS850 since nearly a decade.

The control at the net is insane. I needed to adjust my slice overhead shot, because this string has tons of grip and need less effort to perform a good slice. Power wise I was able to thunder a few rockets at my training partner which hit the floor. The feel is not numb or soft. It is "hard" (yeah BG80 users not as hard as BG80 I know :rolleyes:) string which does many things damn right and well. I didn't noticed in 4 training sessions and in the few games I played with a downside.

If it holds tension well or how the durability it is too early. I personally restring every month, get 5-6 weeks with No.1, cutted BG80 and BG80 Power after 2-3 weeks in the past. If it stays playable for me as long as No.1 I can really recommend it to try, but time will tell.

#69 ucantseeme, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Cheung, yenyesoh, Sumanth99 and 4 others like this.
  10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Seen LN N65 & 63 at my regular store.
    Pricing are higher than old LN#1 but no more than Yonex string like BG66UM or BG80. just somwhat bit less expensive than Yonex string.

I pick 65 btw, will get my racket on Saturday & test it on Sunday.

11. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Curious why N68 over N65? Did you want to go back to a thicker string?

My N61 string broke with mishit at the top, shame because I haven't seen any notching yet. Might restring with AS, so I've got a direct comparison on the same racket.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

12. Barkov Maxim

Barkov Maxim Regular Member

I am using N65 for 6 months. In that period I use mixture of different rackets/strings. My impression about N65 goes up and down. Now I could formulate my impression. I used it with 11.5x12.5 kg (pre-stretch 10%). It is good string. VERY hard the first two sessions (in bad sense, no power no feeling), if you heat it hard then it becomes responsible, repulsive and powerful (in good sense) and transparent in feeling. The tension is kept quite well. But if you are unable to heat it proper, the feeling was quite numb during 4-5 weeks. In my shop, I can choose No1 or N65 and I prefer the last one.

Budi likes this.
  13. Budi

Budi Regular Member

So today is testing days for my P8 paired with N65 @27lbs.

Initial impression i would say its between BG66UM & BG80.
    Not quite repulsive but not dead plank of BG80.
    Harder but not more than BG80.
    Somewhat unfriendly with smaller sweetspot like BG80 but still BIG KABOM when you perfect hit the spot.
    The great thing are the control. My shot are more stable due to less bouncyness & slicing, the string really bite the shuttle like BG80.

So simply easier to use of BG80.

But it just early. Lining performance normally show up after 1-2 session & i get it fresh strung on last thursday. Let see how it perform next week.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just another quick update. After playing with No.1 recently, I strung my P8 with my second and last N65 test set yesterday (my usual 12.5 kg) and went on court with it 2 hours later. Something I would never do with No.1.

And what should I say? I couldn't stop smiling the whole session. Just the hitting sound alone is so satisfying - loud (really!), metallic, deep and full. Great power, great control, great feedback. I had a handful of tight netshots that ended up a teeny tiny bit short but I'm not sure how much the string alone is to blame for that.

If this set will show the same long term performance as the first one, I dare say that I have a new go-to string.

Woesi and Sumanth99 like this.
  15. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Probably India is the only place new strings are not available

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That will surely be a matter of time only. Supply is also still very limited in Europe - N65 still not available on reels for example.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  17. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Just finished my last No1 reel and looking for a replacement, do you think N65 is the way to go?

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's so much up to personal taste if anyone likes a string or not. If you liked No.1, then chances are very, very high that you will also enjoy N65. So at least I'd give it a try if I were you. Not sure if I'd buy a whole reel directly though.

19. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Indians would be surprised if they come to know that there are strings available other than BG65!

20. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I personally placed an order at Li Ning Europe and didn't want to pay the shipping costs (6€) for a single set of N65, so I ordered a set of N68 as well. Was curious how hard a hard feeling N68 is. Btw it is not noticeable thicker than a No.1. Sounds on paper a bigger difference than in real life.

Sumanth99 likes this.