Need help choosing my first new racket in years!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Humrigs, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Humrigs

Humrigs New Member

Hi, I am looking to purchase a new racket but after sticking with the same model of racket for 15years I’m a bit lost.

I currently use a Carlton Vapour Trail Tour and have done so for many years. Perhaps out of laziness I have always just upgraded to the newer model.

It’s even balance, mid/stiff flex, 87g. For ease I have always stuck with that… but it’s discontinued. Looking for something new of similar spec and different brand.

Arcsaber 11 pro and Victor thruster fc seem similar. Thruster perhaps looks more forgiving?

I only play doubles, attacking style, preference for the back but value all round play. I would say intermediate level playing club and league. Uk based

Any suggestions/ recommendations.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

15 years are so long.
    If ur current racket still available, dont see any reason why you should change.
    If you enjoy it, then the same racket will get you back on track you used to be. Rather another new racket which would makes you adapt to the new characteristic

3. Humrigs

Humrigs New Member

Sorry should have said it’s discontinued and not available. Even if I could find the odd one used I will just be delaying the problem.

4. SinggihSW

SinggihSW Regular Member

If you l
    If you looking for an even balance racket, med/stiff flex, i suggest to try Arc 7 pro. You could try Arc 11 pro if you want, but that racket is a bit head heavy and almost very stiff compared to all charlton racket AFAIK. Another option maybe TKF-E , but its also a bit head heavy tho.

Humrigs likes this.
  5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I've gravitated to head light racquets (nanoray 800, nanospeed 9900 etc) and tried Arcsaber 11 pro out of curiosity. I wasn't a fan. Maybe if I got a 3U version of it it would have been better.

The current racquet I am using is Astrox Nextage and It's really good. Ticks almost all of your boxes for comparison (mid flex, slightly head heavy). It will suit an intermediate doubles player very nicely and with the correct technique it's really easy to aim smashes or do deceptive drops with it.

6. Christ14

Christ14 New Member

C
    Can i know what string you use and tension

7. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Certainly, I currently play with either Yonex BG66 Ultimax or Aerosonic both at 22lbs of tension. On paper, aerosonic has almost the same specs as BG66U, so I was seeing if I can tell any difference between the two.

I was playing at 24lbs, but lowered it down to try and help my elbow injury. @Christ14