Music while Badminton?!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by oneshot_onekill, Sep 9, 2005.

1. oneshot_onekill

oneshot_onekill Regular Member

Had anyone tried playing badminton while listening to music?
    I just got the idea if i listened music during games i might be in better mood and perform better...

Got any ideas?:rolleyes:

2. restricted_

restricted_ Regular Member

i thought of it before. haha. but didn't try it though.

3. oneshot_onekill

i think im gonna try it in my next trainnin ^^

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I tried it before with a MP3 player but it kept falling out of my pockets when i smashed.
    But i haven't tried with a proper CD player at the side of the court, yet.

If u try put a song u hate on repeat and play someone and see the score. Then put on a song that gets u psyched (eye of the tiger) lol. and play the same person again.

5. ribroy

ribroy Regular Member

If I play on a Wednesday the sports centre has keepfit classes on court 1 with badminton on 3 and 4. I really dislike playing when they have the music on. The music is very loud and overpowers hearing almost the hardest shots.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If you need a good mood, go watch a funny movie or tv before you go to your gym. If you need a even better meed, smoke a joint outside before you play. I really think music and badminton does not mix when you have 6+ courts in a gym. Also, If you play double, you would not be able to hear your partner untill your expensive racquet clide with his/her then you cry "WHYME! WHY ME!"

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I wonder if players hear music as "music" or just "noise". I mean would a noisy non-music environment bother you? Kinda like at big pro tournaments where there is crowd noise.

8. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Quite often in my club we do training routines and shadow with music, sometimes even playing sets with the music. I quite like it as it makes the training seem less serious and also it dispels the feeling of emptiness in the hall. I hate playing when it's just me and my opponent in the hall

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I remember one time when i went to play a saw a guy playing he had his mp3 on his arm with one of those holding bands, anyways i have played with music before but just not like that like with an mp3 players or minidisk but with like a cd player off court just blasting. We had some techno going so nice beat and all that i found that i really got into it and felt alot better...although i was like moving my body and getting into it between every point :rolleyes:

10. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Well, there was this idea/theory that came up quite a while ago -- that if you put on, say an exciting music in your head( not necessarily physical music ), you tend to move as according to that music's paste. However, it is better to select a song that you don't know the lyrics to ( or else you might be concentrating too much on the lyrics of the song but not the game ;) ). All you need to do is follow the rhythm. I've heard that if you put on an exciting music, it improves your quickness on court ... hmmm ... anyone care to try it out :cool: ?

11. oneshot_onekill

yeah i will try it out... though havnt got like mp3.. maybe i will just plug speakers into my cd player :p

but that way.. my opponment will play better as well hahaha

12. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

if you have an mp3 player you should use it when you work on your singles footwork - it makes it alot better :D

music is good for training.. doing drills / practicing

i dont think it should be on during games / matches

13. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    The only music you need in a badminton court, is there already. Next time when you play, before you enter the gym/hall, stand outside and listen to the beautiful sounds; the 'squish' of the shoes on indoor surface, the booming smash sounds, the 'dink' of the delicate drop shot, the 'woop' of a high underhand clear, the rhythm of the game...whether is it a quick one or slow one. That's if there were people playing before you! Go make your own beautiful music on court ;)

14. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    We were at an opposing school during a school game. When we had the courts to warm up, they started playing hip hop and other song for us while we warmed up before teh games started. It was distracting to me because I would just start singing to it and mess around lol

15. simplicity

simplicity Regular Member

But of course :rolleyes: ... Which is why I highly recommend you guys to choose a quick-paced music without lyrics, or one that is unfamiliar to you so you won't be concentrating on the lyrics. All you have to do is listen to the quick rhythm and try to reflect the rhythm on court.

16. oneshot_onekill

any examples?

can anyone give any examples of music? artist?

17. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Work OK for me during worm-up. But when playing I wouldn't like the music. To me it's sometimes as important to hear how the opponent hits the shuttle, as it is to see it....just by the sound I can decide where the shuttle will go.

But before games, do what ever makes you happy. I use to listen to music, or sleep:D

/mats

18. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    I wouldnt recommend playing music while playing a game, not least because the other players may not want the distraction, but you may well find you automatically start hitting the shuttle in time to beats, which may well have a negative influence on your game.
    It is true however that if you listen to certain tracks BEFORE you start playing you can feel more energetic and speedier. In fact ive got a couple of tracks that i have for that exact purpose, although i dont rely on it, it may well be mainly psychological.

EEEK forgot to mention, music should make repetitive training etc seem shorter because less of your attention is on what you are doing, so you dont notice it. I do this when doing long, simple excercises that i dont need to concentrate to complete

#18 pengu1ns, Sep 11, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  19. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    music should only be for training, warm ups, cool downs...
    music while playing a game is a no no.

Music that mostly doesn't have lyrics would be dance/techno/trance.

What i listen too: Ministry of Sound, Tiesto are some examples.

20. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    The gym where I hold my annual tounrey is wired for sound - so we have music going the whole tourney via an Mp3 player or laptop.

The response has been overwhelming positive, thoughwe do have to keep an eye on the volume (the one corner can get get a little loud).

I liek having music going while I'm playing/training.