Where to play in Edmonton?? =S

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by NanotecPower, Sep 12, 2005.

1. NanotecPower

NanotecPower Regular Member

Hey guys.. i just moved to Edmonton from Calgary to attend the University of Alberta. Read the forums and threads before this but all they say is like play at the university or like at the royal glenora club. Well, being here for a week, the university gyms are always packed.. there is no way one can play there.. and i dont have a form of transportation apart from the transit system. So i would like to ask where else i can play badminon.. (all level, i just wanna hit something...) apart from the overly crowded gyms at the university of Alberta, that is also close to campus. Haha yeah i know this is complicated but it would be really cool if someone could help me out.

Thnx in Advance

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i'm not sure if there's a location that meets your needs. there are many recreational clubs around edmonton that are a "drop in" basis or you can sign up to be a full year member. the link below gives you info on these clubs:

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/clubs.htm

as for location close to UA, i don't think you'll find one too close other than the UA club which requires you to pay a yearly fee or drop in fee.

best bet is to just play at E-19 at the Van Vilet Centre (I believe that's how it's spelled). It's free to those who attend UA.

I often go on fridays so if you do decide to attend, maybe we can meet.

3. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    IS THAT YOU FREDDY?! :D , See you in a year!! we will hit some up when i go to University...Maybe in Edmonton, if not, i might have to join VRC :eek:

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I believe Derrick Club is a little cheaper than Royal Glenora if you are keen on feathers. Inquire yourself to find out.

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

royal glenora is easily accessible by public transit.
    take the LRT to Grandin Gov't station, then find your way to the small field overlooing the river, across from the university HUB area. you will find a stairway leading down to the river valley, where its a few minutes away from the club.

6. Lucky

Lucky New Member

sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I was wondering if there are any places in Edmonton that offers badminton lessons?

7. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

Edmonton's a hard place to find some cheap good badminton. The Royal Glenora and the Derrick club both are rich posh country clubs with many sports other than Badminton, like golf, so the facilities are extremely fancy and extremely expensive to get a normal membership. Im not sure about Red Willow Badminton Club though. As for lessons, the best place to get lessons is at the Glenora. Coach Wang Wen is an excellent coach that has contributed greatly to badminton in all of Edmonton. I train at the Derrick Club myself. The head coach at the Derrick Club is Ma Zhong Hua, however, he does little coaching himself and usually has Jonathan Vandervet, the head asistant coach,, or some of the other assistant coaches do most of the coaching. Jon is a great coach, so is Austin Liao, who coaches me in my private lessons, and sometimes Lionel steps in when Austin is away. Outside of the fancy clubs is Mark Lee's MAAKL badminton program which operates in the NAIT gym. I have attended his sumer program and I will say that it's physically demanding if you're not already fit, but the quality of the lessons is not as great as the private clubs.