Thick Control String Suggestions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ludwik, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

Hey everyone, I'm seeking some advice on strings that offer solid control at the front of the court while keeping durability in mind. Currently, I'm rocking thicker strings like Yonex BG-65 and both versions of Li-Ning No. 7, set at 28lbs of tension. Although I usually take on the back court in doubles, I'm trying to enhance my netshots when I'm up front. Wondering if there's a textured thick string that could give me that extra edge. I've given Yonex BG-80 a shot before, but it didn't quite click. Also, thinner strings tend to strain my budget a bit. Any recommendations?

Sent from my RMX3363 using Tapatalk

2. John Elliott

John Elliott New Member

Nanogy 99

3. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

I was actually thinking about Yonex Nanogy-99 when I posted this. Checked their site, but it's not listed anymore. Seems like they've phased it out, and I can't find it locally either, unfortunately.

4. coldplay

coldplay Regular Member

Lead Farmer
    Ashaway Zymax 68TX

5. gimmeracquet

gimmeracquet Regular Member

Nanogy 99, but it’s difficult to find them these days, so let’s skip it unless you can find an old stash that has enough to use for years.

Nanogy 95, for most people it is a love it or hate it string. I’m in the love it camp.
    Durable, good repulsion, good hitting sound, decent control, medium feeling. And that grey color is a big bonus too…

Ludwik likes this.
  6. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

I used to be a BG80 user, but I switched to Li ning N68 lately and like it a bit better. It's even rougher and less waxy feeling than BG80, sounds a bit sharper and the hitting feel is nicer to me.

Ludwik likes this.
  7. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

A couple of years back, I tried Nanogy-95 once. Looking back, I really liked the sound it made when hitting the shuttle. However, I can't quite remember how it performed during netplay. Dinkalots' review mentions it being a bit slippery due to its coating. Regardless, I'm thinking of giving it another shot!

8. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

That's pretty intriguing – finally a string even rougher than BG-80. I'm curious, how long have you been using Li-Ning N68? I'm especially interested in its durability and how it feels during play. It's odd, but when I gave BG-80 a go on a 100zz at 28 lbs about two months back, I just couldn't get a feel for the feedback on my shots. Ended up with one forehand drive mishit and snap! Personally, I've found better outcomes with Li-Ning No. 1, both in terms of durability and nailing that sweet spot or getting feedback on a good shot.

So, if Li-Ning N68 plays somewhat like Li-Ning No. 1 but in a beefier version, it sounds like it could hold up for quite a while before needing to restring. This might just become my go-to string if it lives up to that.

9. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

Honestly if you feel like BG80 isn't giving enough feedback then pretty much nothing else will. No.1 is also extremely durable and most strings won't touch it, but it is moderately slippery so I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Ludwik likes this.
  10. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

Apologies for any confusion caused. To clarify, my point was that when using BG-80 for overhead shots, I struggled with consistently hitting or finding the sweet spot, or the feel was simply too firm for my liking. In contrast, Li-Ning No.1 provided a better experience. However, BG-80's rough texture shines during net play.

My hope is that Li-Ning N68 plays similarly to Li-Ning No.1 but with that added roughness in texture. And considering it's a tad thicker, it might even outlast Li-Ning No.1 in durability, although No.1 is already impressively long-lasting for a thin string.

11. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

I still get nanogy 99 in a few months.
    Good durability and control, so so repulsion.
    No 1 good string but not thick,only 0.65
    65 ti durable, good at control and repulsion.
    Not really hard as BG 80