ambidextrous

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jxc241, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Haha

That's funny, I'm like that too because of my chinese parents. I still use my left hand for hockey and baseball :)
    Unfortunately for me, my parents now think that because they changed my dominant hand, I recieve the neurlogic desiese Tourrets Syndrome (It's obviously not the reason :p) funny chinese parents.

2. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    I remember this but it was an Indonesian female tennis player Lita Sugiarto in the '60s. She was very famous among top names at that time. They called her 'the octopus'

Haven't seen any octopi in badminton

3. estib

estib Regular Member

Luke Jensen of the Jensen brothers plays with both hands but only on overhead smashes and serve. Pretty effective escpecially on the overhead smash since the hardest shot in tennis is the backhand smash and on the serve he can serve out wide on both sides. But I don't think it's practical for badminton, it's too fast plus if you have time to switch hands you probably can hit a round the head shot.

4. weekey

weekey Regular Member

question

I want to ask a question. is it allowed to hold two rackets(one in each hand)in a formal match.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, it is. There is no rule forbidding it; in practice, however, no-one does this - because it makes playing very difficult.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

maybe if a special "holster" could be made, you could keep several racquets on you at all times, and when you need to play a shot you "draw" whichever is suitable.
    If you kept them over your back with the handles sticking up, then when you go into the bow and arrow position, you could easily choose your smashing racquet, play the shot, re-holster it.
    For net shots, you may need to cross-draw from the opposite hip, or maybe from an armpit holster.
    Where's the sheriff? Let's get us a posse and round up them varmints! Yeehaa!

7. other

other Regular Member

Student
    could you tie lots of racquets o your body, so if a smash at your body hits the racquet, there's a chance to hit it over?

of course not....just a thought:)

8. Jaguar

Jaguar Regular Member

A visitor came and played in our club before, he had racquets in both hands
    but only to warm up though and the shots are equally good.

9. Nerdyman

Nerdyman New Member

I guess you mean the Anime - Prince of Tennis where the world's retired pro can use both hands, so can his son.
    He does it to counter his weak backhand, his son has short hands so he uses for extensive reach.

10. Troncheur

Troncheur Regular Member

anti ambidextrous player tactic

I've played 3 different players who were ambidextrous during my long career :)cool: ). 2 of them never played backhand !

Against one of them, i remember, 4 years ago, i was trying to play just above his head in order to make him lose time in thinking which hand to use.

Actually, we had talked about this before with friends of mine and the purpose of this tactic was to proove that it wasn't so wonderful to play both hands.
    The result was the one expected : a little moment lost while chosing the best hand and worse hits than it could be.

Nevertheless, first time u see it done, it's quite amazing : but where on earth is his backhand !!!

11. loganberry

loganberry New Member

You are one funny mofo

That made me laugh so much :D

12. GTO-demon

GTO-demon Regular Member

student
    that would be nice~ know how to play with both hands~ ......... wouldn't that be good for doubles play?? haha~:rolleyes:

13. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    why don't u just use two rackets at once. it's a lot better.. ? :D

14. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Just wondering...

Besides the obvious no backhand, and confusing your oppenent advantage ambidextrous players have, what other advantages does an ambi. baddy player HAVE at his/her disposal?

15. Reason

Reason Regular Member

I watched one play today at SGVBC. He probably hit about 15-20 shots with his left hand even though he used his right for everything else. I saw him hit a fast forehand clear with his right hand and as the opponent returned the shot with a fast clear to his backhand he swiftly changed racquet hands and hit another fast forehand clear with his left. The transition was very smooth and it took a couple seconds before I even realized what happened.
    When he did do a regular backhand it was solid, so I'm not sure why he would choose to switch racquet hands. Maybe just to throw off the opponents.

16. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I know exactly who you are talking about. I played against him many times and he would switch hands in the middle of rally. I do not find it effective though because he wasted time doing that during a fast rally. We always make joke that we can confuse him by aiming at his body .....right in the center :D

17. Reason

Reason Regular Member

Haha...maybe he'd swing two-handed at it :p I could see how it would waste time when you switch hands, even though he was pretty fast at it. Another plus might be that he would never have to worry about a backhand clear hehe.

18. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

whats the difference between an ambidextrous and a southpaw?

19. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Southpaw is a predominant left-hander while an ambidextrous person can use both hands with equal ease....

20. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

I see. what about predominant right-handers? northpaw? what about playing with one hand and eating/writing with another? is that considered ambidextrous?