Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Pete LSD, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    This is a very general question about wireless routers. Which brand do you have? How reliable is the wireless connection?

Me I get:

Linksys B - sucks big time with constant disconnect and I have to unplug the router once a day

Netgear WGT 624 - a lot better than the Linksys but still experience disconnect once or twice a day

2. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I've got a D-Link DI-614+.

Are you sure it's your router that is disconnecting, and it's not your dsl modem or ISP that's a bit fritzy?

My router has only 'crashed' once since i bought it over a year ago. If anything goes wrong, it's the DSL modem or the ISP itself that has a problem.

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Here are various things you need to check...

- latest firmware for the router
    - OS patches updated
    - scanned your PC for viruses & spyware
    - does the network connection drop regardless on wired or wireless?

Cheers!

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    - latest firmware

- OS fully patched and updated

- scanned PC for viruses & spyware & found none

- only happens with wireless & wired is fine

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It's not the ISP's problem; maybe I just get bad defective wireless routers in both cases.

6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    DLink 604GT modem / wireless / wired router :).

Works like a charm.

7. other

other Regular Member

Student
    linksys wireless g access point works fine
    bt voyager 2100 works wonders as well

any problems is due to ISP and maybe config errors and lack of wirelss range

8. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    I have a linksys B; & it works like a charm.

I have all my computers(3) connected to the router & I have it networked between all three. No problem-o.....

9. viver

viver Regular Member

I do have a Linksys router - BEFWS11 v.2. Works OK now, only thing that am not happy is MUST have SSID broadcast enabled, otherwise the PC connected with wireless adapter won't connect to internet, and this SHOULD not be enabled for security reasons according to the router manual. Spoke with their tech support and even they were not aware of the problem :eek: :confused:

Pete, how did you configure the internet connection? I am with Telus and at the beginning it was a nightmare to set it up... :crying: Can PM me to share our experiences...

10. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    In my experience I find the Linksys to have the most user friendly and intuitive interface. However its range is the worst. (Have experience with 4)

So far I found netlink to be the best in terms of performance (experienced 3) but a little harder to sort out when things go pear shaped.

D-link we couldn't get working reliably and gave up after 2 exchanges.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I forgot the hardware version of the Linksys B but I have the hardware version 3 of the Netgear WGT624.

Speed wise, the Netgear is very fast since it uses Atheros Super G technology.

I am with Shaw and the setup is very straightforward.

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Are you experiencing loss of wireless connection or los of internet connection? All 802.11b and g are using 2.4 ghz which is same as some coreless phone. If you have 2.4ghz phone, just pay attention when phone call comes in, your connection will drop if you have your router set on first few chennel.

13. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    I have my router channel set at 6 & doesn't seem to interfere with the cordless phone.
    But, the range seems to be a problem like mentioned before. I take my laptop to the second floor of my house & the signal gets too weak to access the network:mad: .
    & I always thought that the SSID is enabled for the wireless adapters to be recognized by the wireless router. Without SSID set how would it now which one to connect to. (I may be completely off on this!!!)
    Plus if you are concerned with security, you can always set up a WEP encryption passcode or you can specify only the IP addresses of the PC's that you are connecting through the web address.

14. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Do you have the antenna stand up (90 degree to the ground) or down (0 degree to the ground) Since when you are on the second floor, your laptop can only see a very small spot transmiting signal.
    No, depend on what kind of wireless card you have, some will use a "default" or "" ssid for router w/o ssid. I have d-link 614+ and I can hide my ssid so other people can not see it and thus an added layer of security. However, many other older card does not have the same option and it will not work w/o ssid showing.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I am experiencing loss of wireless connection between the wireless router and the computer. The cordless phone is not a big issue most of the time.

16. Murali

Murali Regular Member

Could be the card

After spending several weeks with technical assitance (by phone) and changing routers twice, I discovered that the frequent disconnects was due to the inbuilt card. Installed an external one and all the problems dissappeared. FYI, the router is Linksys WRT54GS, the external card is Belkin and the laptop is HP 5500. Hope that helps.

17. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

You may tip your antenna to 45 degree to have both 1st and 2nd floor coverage. I did this, no problem either floors.

18. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

If you tried both your router and only wireless drop, I'd guess it would be your wireless card or wirelss USB adapter with your computer. Check the latest driver for them and you might borrow someone else wireless USB adaptor to have a try.

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I will simply return the Netgear! Even with wired connection I had to unplug and replug the power to the wireless router, twice in one night. The darn thing is simply annoying!!!

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Pete,

I think you underestimated interference from the cordless phone. Whenever I call you at home, there's always a loud electrical background noise that sometimes even cuts me off. The wireless router is definitely being interfered by the cordless phone and vice versa.

Despite initial headache from debugging and setting up the router several, my cheapie D-Link 524ver.C is actually working fine now. Just ask Nao:D. I am sure your NetGear works fine too, you just need to eliminate the several possible problem areas.