Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Pete LSD, Sep 17, 2005.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

In your case, do you have any problem setting up the security for your router?

When purchased the Linksys router, I also considered their reputation. What I did not expect is that this router has this security issue (well it started after I flashed with an updated firmware) and the company is disregarding it. I am paying more attention to the router's security issue after one nice day, with all PCs off, I suddenly noticed the router's and modem lights blinking madly...

#41 viver, Sep 29, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I had been waiting for this

Chip Helps Electric Outlet Go Broadband By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer
    19 minutes ago

TOKYO - The common electric socket will serve as your home's connection to broadband with a new chip developed by Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. — doing away with all the Ethernet cables or the hassle of hooking up to a wireless network device.

Products are still being developed, but gadgets embedded with the chip from the Japanese manufacturer of Panasonic products can hook up to a broadband network by plugging into the common electrical outlet, company officials said Thursday.

That's because the Osaka-based company has come up with technology to use electric wiring in the home to relay not just electricity but also data.

The technology has been around for some time — including in the United States — but Matsushita's system is unique in that it delivers fast-speed broadband information at up to 170 megabits per second, which is faster than Ethernet.

The advantage is that the lowly electric socket is everywhere. Right now, a broadband outlet still isn't usually available in every room, even in homes that have broadband connections.

In the future home envisioned by Matsushita, people will be able to download and watch high-definition movies in any room of the house that has an outlet.

Attach a special device made by Matsushita into a socket and all you have to do is plug your TV or other gadgets into a socket for instant connection to broadband, which allows for faster transmission of online information than dial-up telephone connections.

Matsushita hopes to eventually sell refrigerators, TVs and other products with the chip already installed.

A network-connected refrigerator may allow users to connect from a mobile phone or laptop to check whether you're low on eggs, for example. Or you may want to turn gadgets off or on, such as your washing machine or air-conditioner, from outside the home.

But for now, an adaptor when plugged into an outlet will allow gadgets with Ethernet connections — even those without the Matsushita chip — to receive broadband.

Matsushita official Tomiya Miyazaki said that even homes with optical fiber connections don't have broadband outlets in every room, and people are tired of setting up gadgets with their home wireless LAN device.

"Our goal is to have every gadget plugged in this way so that people don't have to even think about connecting it to broadband," he said.

Samples of the technology are being made available to companies, including other Japanese electronics makers, that may wish to use it for their products, Matsushita officials said. A demonstration of the technology will be on show at the CEATEC exhibition that showcases electronic technology, opening near Tokyo next month.

Acceptance of the technology is more likely in Europe and the United States because of stricter regulations over power line use in Japan, according to Matsushita. The company is in talks with the Japanese government to have regulations eased.

3. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

Power line carrier (PLC) technology to send data via power line were there for long time (as mentioned in the article). So why you never seen a commecial one for home usage (except some X-10 devices, i.e. 10 bit per sec)? Because it did not work well. Personally, I worked with this technology 10 years ago, then 5 years ago. I saw many, many articles as the above to claim they reach the holy grail of power line data transfer. None of them lived as they claimed. Before wirless LAN, it still had a shot. Now days, you can buy a $10 wirless LAN adaptor (and wireless router free from ISP), how possible Power line carrier technology compete with it. I wrote so many reports and told my boss forget it, concentrate to wireless instead of PLC in my past career. Of course, wireless had its own problem (air interference), but believe or not, the air as wireless RF media is much much noise/interference friendly compare with home power line.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, the early version were noisey but i think it can be improved with time. PLC is good in the sense it can contain the signal within the local circuit where as in wireless LAN, outsiders can tap into or spam u easier just being near your house. I think both plc and wireless lan have their unique application
    for each situation.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

PLC adapters as according to the article makes sense. I have also looked at them in the past, but they were not that common. PLC are also not immune to 'sharing' problems - if your power generator is shared with neighbor(s), an unsecured PLC could also be 'shared'.

6. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

If I plug my device into to power line, I can see your data eaily as long as I am at the same side of transformer as your device that were true for most of household neighbors (just like cable Internet). And believe or not, power line radiates RF a lot so you can pick up from air like wireless. I even saw people use this to try cross signal through transformers (i.e run ISP service purely through city power lines, "big competition to teleco and cable co", never realized).

PLC tech is getting better, but its pace was far slower than wireless. This was because R&D put much more money (i.e. 1000 times more) into wireless rather than PLC. Why? Mobility, that each human is naturally, no technology can compete with wireless for the mobility.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

viver, ymq

yes, i'm aware of signals would remain confined within the transformer grid network (i had loosely used the term local circuit). No doubt wireless will have greater design flexibility. Ex. notebook would still require wireless LAN even if other electronics are connected by plc method. PLC has its place for users with less LAN knowledge and help in connectivity of simple household appliances like future refrigerator, oven, furnace, microwave, etc. Also, it would lessen concern about health matter related to high frequency radiation. If security is a concern, i'm sure one day a filter device can be installed at the circuit box to contain the signals within the desired circuitry. Hmm, encrytion can solve all that tho.