frustrated about team!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kamikaze, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Hi BC community,
    i have a situation. so it began since my freshman year. i have made many relationships and rivalries in my badminton team.

The strongest rivalry i have is with a guy same skill/age as me. I am currently trying to train to be better, but what pisses me off is that he gets special treatment from the coaches, while i get unfair treatment. So when ever we would have a team practice, he would be called to the side to have special training, which is more advanced. and to sum this, the coaches that are training him hate me. Which is really frustrating because i have done nothing negative. How will i ever catch up? with coaches hating me, and him getting special training, he'll eventually get better than me.

I am really frustrated and annoyed by the unneccessary treatment they are giving me and, i'm thinking about quitting the team. How can i be on a team, when coaches hate me?

i know this is the cowardly way out, but i have no other option. as some of u might know, i am suffering from an injury, which is another reason for me to quit.

im turning to u guys for some motivation. :)

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I wouldn't neccesarily say give up but what team are you talking about? High school or university?

You don't really need the coaches help. If they dislike you, you can be mature and confront them about their problem with you. Don't be scared of them. If they are discriminating you, you could get them fired by seeing someone higher up than the coach.

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

If I were you, I'd just be my cheerful self and whenever the coach's training your partner, go over to them and cheerfully ask, "I think I can use some of that too. Mind if I join?" And go from there.

:)

4. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    I don't care about the drama or whatever you're going through. Get better first. You should never play any sport if you are injured. I'm being serious even if it sounds silly. You can really cause more damage to yourself.

You're like a year younger than me, so I'm betting you're a Sophemore this year. Highschool is drama so oh well. Though luck. In any sport, if you are injured you are out until you are better. How long? Depends how you take care of yourself.

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm.

Words of the stupid (me). Let's say, why not just quit? Yea, I think it's best you quit. Since you're having injury and you have no focus, all you focus is your coaches who I am told hate you and that you only focus on your rival instead of yourself.

What is the point in playing the sport if all you do is bitch about the external factors instead of the factors which affect or influence the level of play one has. If someone cannot better themselves to handle such situations I'd think they should stop what they are doing and re-evaluate themselves. Since you are injured, why not take a break. Go to the movies, read a book and do something else (FIX YOUR INJURY).

Then fix your attitude. I don't think you can get better by bitching that the coaches hate you. If you think that they really hate you, quit the team. If you're not enjoying it, what's the point in playing. I'd rather focus on something more constructive. Bitching bout the coaches won't fix your game nor your injury.

Take my advice man. Just stop what you're doing and re-evaluate. That's all I can say.

mmm

6. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

ok here is my advice.

no matter what. always put in 110% even if it is in the simplest training that u think is useless, or the training that is SOO tiring that u think it is impossible. i was able to surpass a lot of ppl who have a lot of special training. so basically. i have training 2 times a week. while some of my classmates have training at least 5 times a week. however, during the times i practice with them, i always tried harder, and was always first to stand up to begin the hard training, and always concentrated during hte simple practices when they were screwing around. this rival ur talking about, he sounds spoiled and probably wont try hard, no matter what kind of special trianing u give him, he probably isnt putting in all his effort. hes probably being really cocky and arrogant rite now if i had to guess :) well ppl like this wont start getting serious once u beat them like 10 times in a row. so u better get serious first, before he surpasses u too far for u to catch up. otherwise, by the time u beat him 10 times in a row, its probably too late for him to catch up :)

good luck! jia yo!

7. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    Although if I'd posted originally with purely my own opinion, I believe it would have been different, but I find myself agreeing with FEND.

I often actually play with people who don't like each other, or I don't like, or we all don't get on etc. But we play Because we love badminton, all our differences, are left off court, when we go on court we aren't aggressive, or silly or anything, we're there to play a game we love.

If you love badminton, you could stay in the team, and risk further injury depending on What your injury is, and play more, just ignore anything negative said to you, just think about getting better, working on your bad points you know of, etc.

I honestly doubt the Coaches 'hate' you...Hate is a strong word and it'd seem incredibly silly for a coach to particularly hate a single player for doing nothing wrong. If you want to, ask them about getting more coaching from them that this other guy gets...ask why you don't get it, and so on.

If you're unhappy, I'd suggest quit. Relax for a while, sort your injury, maybe keep up fitness with something that won't aggrevate your injury, and then find a good club / good junior club, and join it. Play with friends too.

8. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    Yea, paterson and FEND have got it right.
    I seriously doubt the coaches hate you.
    Without wanting to be mean here because I do appreciate that I don't know the situation...at all really, I think the best thing you can do is quit and revaluate as FEND said.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Azwok.

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    i wouldn't call it "bitching", but thanks anyways for your consolation.

10. Froca

Froca Regular Member

student( must keep a high avg to play badminton an
    i would say, u go and take some saturday classes, come back and beat ur coach along with that dude u were talking about:p

thank god my coach is nice to everyone...especially me:plol

11. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

well dude, when i read this, i tried to put myself into your situation. Well, sometimes you might think of "Why can't I be treated the same way if I'm working as hard or harder than anyone else?", then this is your time to really sit down and be calm about the situation. I wouldn't blame you for having such a feeling but I could tell you that I was once like a person like you, and I know it's pretty hard to "inject" a new idea into your thinking as at the mean time. Take a rest to heal the injury. But most important of all, think of how you would improve your play rather than trying to compare yourself to other people. I wouldn't say comparing is a bad thing but if you compare to yourself and make small improvements everytime you play, wouldn't you be a great player one day? by that time, would a coach not notice that a good player in in the team who's having constant improvement ? win the attention with your performance, not with looking at the special treatments from other people because that doesn't do a darn thing to improve your game play. If you have the will, you can do it :p

12. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    Ahhh...... BC memebers are so cruel sometimes. But sometimes you have to be cruel :p

I agree with Fend. Btw you are bitching. I coach HS badminton a bit, i only help out though. I tend to focus on people who are willing to put out the effort and are strong enough mentally. I doubt your coaches hate you, if they hated you they would treat you like trash and yell at you for no reason. I mean if they only pull a few people aside, doesn't that mean he hates the rest of the team too? If your injured just heal up and once you get back into the game, train harder than the other guy. Badminton is just basics, if they are teaching him fancy stuff, most of the time it'll end up just hurting him against someone with a strong foundation. Since you are frmo SJ, i know the level of coaches/players around the area, and most coaches don't know what they are really doing :) (Even me.. :p). So just ignore them and keep playing and trainning on your own. Show them that they are focusing on the wrong person (thats if you want their attention). No point in whinning and asking for us to give you strength. If you need someone to console to, go talk to your parents, thats what they are there for.

13. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

If I was a coach, I would say that your "team-mate" (not rivalry) have a greater potential to be the top player, as a whole, because to be the top player

(a) one piece of the pie is "attitude", if you think negatively, coaches can sense that miles away. Secondly, negative attitude will bring your games down during competitions

(b) this is a team sport/effort, and if you can only contribute when you are the top player, then maybe your contributions is not required. The coaches want their players to help develop the lower players even if it means having a lower player challenge for their spots, thus are you willing to "help your rivalry?"

(c) is your injury caused by poor technique, and did the coaches try to correct it?

(d) Do you listen & follow what the coaches tell you or do you just go your own way?

I don't mean to be offensive, but the above are your words and it creates questions as to why or what proof (examples) that what you say is accurate.

If you feel you are truly the better potential, then you should be upfront with your coaches and (with a positive attitude) ask them "what you need to improve in order to get that special training".

Cheers!

#13 Break-My-String, Jan 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Kamikaze,

I do hope that you realise that what others have said on the forum is nothing personal. Sometimes, we gotta be cruel to be kind;). Totally agreed with FEND and others' opinion. A major part of the game is mental focus and I already know from your interpretation of the situation that you have yet develop the essential part. Physical conditioning and techniques are much easier to develop by comparison.

You gotta be more positive and optimistic about the circumstances. OK, so you feel that the world is against you... so what?! Now there's more reason for you to focuse on your goals. Don't focuse on the petty stuff like your rivalry with the top player of your team or your coaches. Instead, make the team's goal (eg. winning local tournaments) your main goal and work hard to attain it. That way, you'll naturally become the top player by improving yourself. Even if you don't, you would have made a considerable contribution to your team. Major contributors are hard to take for granted by team officials.

First of all, just calm down and re-evaluate what you want to accomplish. Why did you join the team in the first place? Find a good reason to motivate yourself. If you can't find any, then you're really wasting your time.

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Me cruel? Pfft. That's not even what I'd consider being cruel. That's just me being honest. If you can't take it, quit. Like I said QUIT IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT. Don't kid yourself.

16. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Thanks guys for the replies
    i have taken your thoughts to consideration and i will try harder to be the best. [after my injury heals] hehe

again, thanks

17. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    if you really love badminton, you'll always give your best with everything concerning it. training, practice, playing - always do your best. no matter if your best is only 50% of the other guy's performance- it's what you do with what you have that matters. The guys are right, no point in complaining - you can do more by practicing daily. when i started badminton i never had any training. my first game i even tried to hit a shuttle with both hands on the racquet. :) what i did was observe all the good players, asked for tips, practiced - anything that i thought would help my game - and i always gave my best. i even searched the internet everyday for additional tips and strategies, videos on footwork, drills, grips for different kinds of shots, etc. - after just a month and a half since i started i could beat Class D players and even hold my own against C players.

nothing beats a good coach but my point is, if you really wanna get better there are still lots of things you can personally do with or without a coach if you put your heart into it.

try this site, its got lots of footwork drills.
    http://www.worldbadminton.com/drills/instructional_multimedia_lowres.htm#Conditioning

also, go to http://videos.google.com and type Badminton. there's a video tutorial for footwork.

18. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Guys,

This past sunday i was able to beat my rival in straight sets. It's all thanks to u guys. i took all the advice given to me near to my heart. i've been training real hard and didn't let all things that have been bothering me affect me anymore. i learned alot this past month, and wish to learn more through badminton. badminton has been a truly life altering experience for me.

my injury healed rather quickly. maybe because i've been paying too much attention to it. lol

again, thanks :)

19. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    Congratulations! That's great news. :)

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Excellent stuff, Kamikaze! Keep up the good work. Do what you can to be the best you can be. Opponents come and go, but at the end of the day it's still your own limits you have to deal with.