best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    shoes are a very important factor, especially to get shoes with low soles cuz once i tried playing in normal running shoes it nearly killed my ankle

2. melgyver

melgyver New Member

quality assurance inspector
    footworks

The proper footworks are those steps that keep you in balance whichever way you go and normally coordinates with your racket hand so that it would be esy for you to attack or defend.
    It is achieved through trainings/drills from those can teach it, or sometimes from watching professional matches if you're good in learning at what you see.

The first thing that I've learned was the basics of moving to the left or to the right. That is, from a defensive/offesive stance, if you are going to hit the bird coming to your right, use the left-over-right-hit pattern. Meaning, lifting first your left foot to cross in front of the right, then step your right sideways. By the time you stepped your right foot sideways, you are about ready to hit the bird (assuming you are a righthander).
    If the bird is coming to your left, you have to lift your right foot first crossing behind your left foot, then your left to step sideways, then hit. That's called right-behind-left-hit pattern. These are just very basic, but from these two patterns you can modify to suit your other upcoming footworks to learn. That's it for now, I hope I did something of help to you.;)

3. heyitsalbert215

heyitsalbert215 New Member

Student
    man....

so true....so damn true....imo footwork is the key to becoming a successful badminton player. you can have the fastest smash while practicing, but that means nothing in the game if you cannot get there. while playing, the shots are not as ideal as in practice, and so getting there early and being able to execute a shot away from the opponent is key.

4. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    good footwork is definetly the key to improving your game. at training sessions nealry half of the time is spent on movement or exercises to aid footwork, it does get a bit tedious after a while, especially because i do the same session 3 times a week with the same coach but at different clubs

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Shoes>string tension>strings>racket....

the racket is probably #4 on your badminton-equipemnt prioritylist...even though most discussed...

my dad shocked himslef he cleard 20inches deaper when switching bewteen his ns800-3u-bg-65-ti-9kg to my ns8000-3u-bg80-9,5kg....probably not the best way to figure out (changes both tension ánd string) but it was definatly an eye opener..

6. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

Shoes>string tension>strings>racket....

jerby, i agree but i have to say that the grip is more important than the racket as well, if you have a rubbish grip then the racket might just fly out of your hand:rolleyes:

shoes>string tension>strings>grip>racket

#86 lindanfan, Jan 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah missed that one...

To me shoes are top priority for "safety" reasons
    string(tension) are real performance enhancers
    and rackets/grips/etc just make it more comfortable and perhaps a bit easier.

But peopel should stop makign statements as "this racket improved m game 20%"
    or: "this arcket made me smash twice as hard"

8. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

it doesnt help that manufacturers make claims like "R&D testing proves that this racket will provide 5% more shuttle speed" and stuff like that.
    i still bought those rackets anyway :cool:

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a new racket.
    hell I've got an ns8k myself....

but honestly: My power didn't improve, my shots didn't get more accurate.
    But it made the game more comfortable. it hits "nice"..and that's what im looking for...

Off course soem raquets pack more power. teh mp100 i wa sholdign the other day certainly had umph in it...but i can't say "my game was at a completly higher level"...

following is a direct quote form an ns8k-revieuw....exactly teh thign i disagree with
    this is why the sole reason one should click the rackets-revieuw button is "could use a good laugh";)

10. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i have been looking at some advanced coaching routines and they include alot of theory (badminton physcology). i guess that would also benefit your game more than any racket beacuse if you know where your openent is going to return the shuttle it makes the game a whole lot easier:cool:

11. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    :rolleyes: :) ... I think I've read this somewhere in badminton central ... ( not word for word but somewhere along this line ...)

" correctly anticipating your opponents shots can help your game significantly. but if you anticipated wrong then x_X "

12. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

obviously great minds think alike then:rolleyes:

13. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I would say that the only equipment that could possibly make a more than minute diffference to your game is strings and grip and possibly shoes

14. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

are you including string tension in that?

15. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

yes, in fact i think the tension makes much more difference than the string itself

16. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

an example of this is :if your a beginner and you have a very very high tension you will lose alot of power!!;)

17. korsunbo

korsunbo Regular Member

teacher
    receiving serve return in singles: any advice?

I have been playing for 25 years but, having started in the former Soviet Union, I must have missed some basics. One problem that bothers me is that, even though I have pretty good and decent stamina, I am having trouble in singles returning the serve return after I serve. Get it? I serve, the other guy returns and, more often than not, I am in trouble. I have especially tough time reaching fast drops in the corners. If I get them, I get them too low. If I try stand closer to the net and get ready to run forward, I have a tough time reacting to a fast clear shot. In general, I cover the court OK (well, at my level) - but this first shot is really tough. I recently lost a lot of weight by doing very serious conditioning. My stamina improved dramatically; actually my speed during the rallies is better, too - but this issue persists.

Any suggestions? Maybe, it is my stance? Maybe, it is some move that I need to make when the other hits the birdie (or right before it?) Maybe, it is mental? Any suggestions are welcome.

18. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

do you do split drops to help propel you?

19. korsunbo

korsunbo Regular Member

teacher
    What, exactly is a "split drop"? (I may be doing it, in fact, but I am not sure I know the meaning of the term).

20. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Split drops, i think, are a waste of time and slow you down, instead combine a turn with a step of your non-racket leg. Make sure you get in a decent first step with your non racket leg to avoid havind to 'hop' on your racket leg to move forward which is a common mistake to make.