I have a problem about my standing position in Single.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by zzronn, Jan 17, 2006.

1. zzronn

zzronn Regular Member

Hi every body,
    I have a problem about my standing position when playing Single. Iam 17,right handed, and my height is 1m66. As you see,with my "little short" height, Foot work is very important to me.So i have some questions about my footwork that I need your help.
    In the picture, i have 2 stading positions. I am currently playing with the A position. Standing in A, i can get to the net easily,but when being cleared, it's not very easy for me to get the shuttle back .I'm not good at backhand though,so i usually do overhead-shot and i'm often get killed when being forced to do the backhand:eek:.
    I am thinking about changing my position to B, but is it hard to get to the net?( I saw this B position from a boy same age with me).
    I need your help guys:).

Attached Files:

• b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

personally I'd think B isn't that wise...a very fast drop would kill...
    But experiement yourself. if it works, do it. But as soon as you see it doesn't work. against a good-drop-player perhaps. get back to A.

Me, I stand ever closer to teh T than in A...but that's because of my length/reach and a "reasonable" around teh head/backhand...

though I ahve had oppoennt against wich I assumed position B...

3. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    I used to have problem reaching the back of the court when the shuttle was clear to the baseline. My problem was inefficient footwork and my ready stand was too wide (i.e. my feet were further apart than my shoulder).
    I correct my stand and drill on the footwork - now I am better.
    I agree with jerby that Position A is still a bit too far back.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

as a furtehr note..lookign at the lower part fo you drawing...
    I think for a basic ready-stance, with proper footwork. A is even too far back....
    B is just insane...

5. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    B is when you are on the attack, A is when you are defending. That is what my coach said, but I think interpretation might be different from person to person. He says that from B to the net is a really easy shot, and A to the back is relatively harder than B to the back, but from A to the net isn't much harder than B to the net.

6. alansd

alansd Regular Member

There is something that might help but isnt not that easy to explain well in a short post. When standing, dont stand facing straight onto the net, turn at an angle so that you are facing the net post at your backhand side. This slight adjustment with proper practise can help to protect your backhand a little by allowing you a better reach on your round the head shots by jumping off your left foot more in balance than if you were facing straight on. Its something that takes practise. I was shown it about 9 years ago now by a coach who was very sucessful with juniors, many internationals and national champions. I dont know if it had been replaced by something else but it obviously worked with these juniors who have weaker backhands.
    hope this may be of some use

7. zzronn

zzronn Regular Member

Thank you guys ,you guys helped me alot:).I'll try this tonight in the club. Anyway, i think i should drill more on my footwork because my coach doesn't teach me the Single footwork( he always let us play double:eek:).

Anyway,thank you guys again.
    Best Regards.