WCH's Injury

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by tutu_h, May 3, 2006.

1. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Attached Files:

2. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

I saw it online too.
    It was obvious right away that he will have to retire.
    I suffered myself such injury 3 times (not from badminton though) and it takes very long to recover.
    I wonder if it's lack of warm-up maybe or simply bad luck ...
    wish him quick recovery and hope to see him play soon, he is one of my favorite player.

3. Slugs

Slugs Regular Member

Kindly ignore this

#23 Slugs, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  4. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Point? Huh?
    I'm just telling you the fact that he is seriously injured and will take a long time to recover.
    And that I wish him all the very best.

5. Slugs

Slugs Regular Member

Thanks yannie and Malaysianfan for the pictures. I'll have to refresh my past images of WCH: he does look leaner now. I too wish for WCH's full recovery soonest.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    according to ants, whom has connection in the MAS team, it was an "Achiles problem". without any further details, it will be tough to know exactly the consequences and recovery.

however, from watching the live broadcast and the pics provided here. Wong did look like he was in great pain. perhaps that is a good sign.

the lack of pain rules out the likelyhood of a sprained ankle, i still remember the pics of Camilla Martin when she sprained her ankle, man, it was painful just looking at her.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its really sad to have not play a major role in his Final Thomas cup campaign. Wong Ch really look foward to this event. However i think he may have to watch the team play on TV as he maybe going back to KL for treatments. His Achilles tendon just snapped. We will not goin to see him in action for this year. Will just hope that he will recover soon. :(

#27 ants, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

WCH snapped his achilles?! That is definately bad news for Malaysia and WCH fans... I will be surprised if he comes back

9. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Choong Han will be out of action for at least 6 months!

It's a gloomy twist of fate for MAS team. But let's look at it from the bright side ... now that MAS is an underdog in semis and even finals, the negative "under preassure" factor that you guys keep talking about is no longer there. Maybe WCH's teammates will make a difference.

(From The Star)

Sad exit for Wong

SKIPPER Wong Choong Hann had harboured hopes of playing a big part for Malaysia in his last outing in the Thomas Cup Finals but it was not to be.
    Malaysia are through to the semi-finals against Denmark but he is out of the competition at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium prematurely with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

In fact, the 29-year-old Choong Hann, playing in his fifth Thomas Cup Finals, will be out of action for almost six months.

He put up a brave front in front of the media despite the pain as he was rushed to a nearby hospital in a taxi. Hours later, he was back in the hotel.
    He has the option to undergo surgery at Hiro Hospital in Tokyo today or fly home for immediate treatment.

With Choong Hann out, Malaysia have no other option in their semi-final tie against Denmark than to move Mohd Hafiz Hashim up to the second singles slot and bring in the 23-year-old Kuan Beng Hong as the third singles player.
    The unfortunate incident for Choong Hann happened when he was leading South Korean Park Sung-hwan 10-6 in the second singles match of the quarter-final tie yesterday.

He had made a lunge for a shot and landed awkwardly. Grimacing with pain, he held on to his right ankle. He then limped towards the umpire to ask for a timeout.

The chief medical officer of the tournament, Dr Gurucharan Singh of Malaysia, examined the ankle and declared him unfit to continue.

Dr Gurucharan, who is also the chairman of the medical commission of the International Badminton Federation (IBF), said: “It was a serious injury. There was complete depression at the back of his heel. Without a doubt, it is typically a rupture of the Achilles tendon.

“I asked him if he had any injuries before. He said that he had suffered repeated inflammation of ligaments there.

“He was living dangerously and could suffer the injury any time. It was just unfortunate that this happened at a crucial moment.”

He added that Choong Hann had no choice but to undergo surgery.

“With proper rehabilitation, it may take him six months to get back on his feet.

“My advice is for him to leave for home as soon as possible. It is better to have the surgery with his family by his side,” sad Dr Gurucharan.

National doubles chief coach Yap Kim Hock is confident that Choong Hann will return to play for Malaysia.
    “He is a good player. I was in the room with him and he was in pain. There were also tears. He is disappointed that he will have no more part to play in our challenges here. We hope that all will be well for him,” he said.

10. muziqalicious

muziqalicious Regular Member

wch....i hope you will recover soon.....

11. terry

terry Regular Member

I heard from local radio that MAS team coach will make a complain to IBF about this year TC/UC organizer because when WCH is injured there no ambulance car was ready.

12. kevin&sandy

kevin&sandy Regular Member

poor guy... i feel sad for him. wish him to recover soon.

13. celine82

celine82 Regular Member

Malayisia will win

Without WCH, i hope malaysia will win and reach and win the cup back.

14. alloh

alloh Regular Member

Heard that WCH was crying after that because can't play for MAS anymore in this TC?

15. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Yeah, that would make me cry too... so sad

16. celine82

celine82 Regular Member

if me...i also will cry..
    I think this is last apperance for CH in Thomas Cup coz he say he wont participate in the next thomas cup games

17. terry

terry Regular Member

NOw MAS without WCH, i think LCW, KKK&CCM and CTF&LWW must win their match to cover hafiz and KBH match.

18. celine82

celine82 Regular Member

I never see KBH play any games. I really hope he can deliver point to MAS.

19. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    both mas md must win , if they want to qualify to the final

20. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

according to a local news report, he had to wait for 15 minutes outside the stadium for a cab to get to the hospital.. and his team mates vowed to win the cup for him