Slicing from backcourt (to drop)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Snowy21, May 21, 2006.

1. Snowy21

Snowy21 Regular Member

Okay all these instructional videos all tell you that in order to make it a bit more deceptive, you can take a full swing at the shuttle and then slice it so that the birdie will drop just over the net.

The problem is, none of them actually tell you how to slice it...

Usually whenever I try something goes horribly awry and when it works it's usually pure luck.

Any tips/perhaps a link to a video about how to slice the shuttle?

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

You may have reached the stage where you should get coaching. The intricacies of slicing/timing is almost impossible to teach in words or videos. A coach or a good player may be able to watch your stroke and correct the timing on the spot.

If we could all become super deceptive players from watching videos, we would all play like Hendrawan by now.

3. Snowy21

Snowy21 Regular Member

Hmmm the problem is I'm in school and have a fairly tight schedule... as it is I can usually only play an hour or two a week at the local rec. centre...

As it is when I try to drop cross-court or just drop, I pretty much have to hit it normally and angle my racquet in the direction I want it to go... which is fairly easy to see for my opponent.

Anyway though... how much do you usually pay for coaching...? (USD or CND)

Thanks.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u have to get the basic stroke right first or else fake shots are meaningless.
    (shanking it on the rim, shaft, non sweetspot are not fake shots:D)

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

hahaha nice vocab "shank" makes it sound funny as hell, anyways you do it how it sounds, slice the bird on the strings, but you dont just "shank" the bird like it was a normal shot, angle your racquet face so that it will go the direction you want it to but instead of swinging your racquet directly straight at the shuttle, brush the strings against it, you gotta have a faster swing then a normal drop also. its just for deception, normal slices at the net make it tumble which makes it harder to return, but since your hitting it from backcourt it will stop tumbling by the time it reaches the net anyways.

6. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    actually we use ''shank'' at the club i play at, too. it's the perfect word.

7. kasuya

kasuya Regular Member

I began to practice my slice drop shots just about 2 weeks ago(I play 3 times/wk), and by now I pretty much do it nicely all the time. Once you know the basic posture for all over-head stroke, the rest is just timing, and alot of practice.

By the way, I practiced the shot during games... not even like a training session, so you know it is not difficult at all. Just try it and if you fail, try again.

Also, to make the cross court slice drop shot even more deception... try look straight ahead instead of cross court(which is where you are hitting the birdie at).

You should watch how Tony Gunawan did 2 cross court slice drop shots consecutively running from one side to the other during his Dutch open MD finals with Fu/Cai in the last portion of the first game. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though, your game level might be quite competitive, but i still don't think just practice a stroke in games is the way to go. The drills and lessons are more of a proper way.

In a game, there are way too many other factors to influence the result. Such as the opponent's level of playing etc. You win a game, does not mean you must did everything right. You lose a game, might only because the opponents are way superior, and they suppose to win, regardless what you did. :rolleyes:

9. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    I have questions;

1. when doing a sliced drop short, racket move from back to front (same as clearing) or racket move from racket side to non-racket side (same as brushing)? some say just the angle of racket head change, but the swing remain we do smashing or clearing, is it correct?

2. When i change the racket head angle during swing, it don't change the shuttle direction much (it won't be a sliced crosscourt drop). What is the idle angle for this slice dropshot?45 degrees?

3. How fast the swing action?same as normal drop shot?or a bit more faster?It is tapping/snapping action or a full swing action?

10. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

ideally, to deceptive, all your shots, either lobs, smashs, drops, chops(slices) should have the same swing/stroke.

its at the last moment, right b4 you hit the shuttle, that is the angle of your racquet that determines the type of shot you will make.

to execute xcourt slices, stand as if your are gonna execute a smash(or any other stroke), then, swing with your racquet abt 45degrees (depending on your position on court). remember, the shuttle must me abt 1/2' in front of you and make sure contact is the highest point possible. the racquet must face downwards a bit too(like your normal drop).

you'd have to adjust the degrees of your racquet according to the shuttle. if its too wide, lessen the angle n vice versa. if its too high, further angle the racquet downwards n
    vice versa.

the correct shot will sound sharp, unlike your normal drop.

remember, you must execute it as if you're executing any other shot, to disguise it. a good example is Zhao Jian Hua, have a look, all his shots(smash, lobs, drops, slices) are disguised under a same stroke.

anyway, its just my 2¢

11. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    You should be better start with the basics first.

When learning to drop, do the exact thing as a smash; but just hit it softly.

When you've mastered that, do the same thing exactly as a smash; but this time, slice it. That means that the racket shouldn't face perpendicularly to the shuttle's direction.

You don't really need to do the smash position; I recommend it though for deception. It's harder to unlearn than to learn. Trust me. :(

12. PhuzyBuny

PhuzyBuny Regular Member

I agree with keith. Normal dropping should be similar to that of a smash and should have a similar feel except with less power. Slice is when instead of perpedicularily hitting the shuttle, you attack it at more of a 45 degree angle. Depending on which hand you use, you should compensate for the way the shuttle goes. If you use your right hand, it should fly a bit to the left and the opposite for the left hand. Usually, compensation can be made by either changing the body position or by slicing not 45 degrees but more like 60 or 70 degrees.

13. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    my advice is do not slice until you have the basic shots mastered, slicing is an intermediate shot and i agree, you can't teach it in words. I'll do my best though. Firstly, aim about 50-60 degrees to the right of where you want it to go (this is the "out-slice" with you racket moving away from you) and cut it. It's difficult to explain. The "in-slice" with the racket moving across your body, is usually reserved for junior county lelvel and above.

Do not change your body position, this completley defeats the purpose of deception, just swing your racket at 50-60 degrees to where you want it to go, its not a robotic thing, its a skill

14. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    This is what I usually do...I always wonder why all the players i face are mostly surprise by my drops...And i notice that...i dont change my body position at all...whether i hit it hard or whether its a drive shot...just came to me naturally...

I think that you should keep somes notes of yourself...telling yourself what to do and how to do it...and let it stuck in yer mind...I think that pictures are more helpful cuz than videos...cuz then..u could imagine whats the next move...you could try and try...untill u figure out which move is more is easier to execute...

Just keep on practicing every move out there..cuz one day...you would be executing every shot to perfection...

15. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The way i learned the crosscourt, forehand slice was to swing like you would for a straight smash, but to keep your wrist neutral rather than pronating through the contact point. If you're holding the racquet with the normal forehand grip, the racquet will at an angle to the bird as you make contact.

For the straight slice, i was taught to draw an arc (by supinating your forearm) as you make contact. This is to get a little bit more spin in your slice, since the distance the bird travels is shorter. For both these slices, the swing is made at high speed (like you would for a smash).

For the reverse slice, i was taught to internally rotate the shoulder without pronating the forearm during contact (your lower arm is moving like a windshield wiper). Turning your grip slightly towards panhandle might help give better slice. This stroke isn't as fast as the normal slice, but the bird drops faster than you'd expect given the speed of the swing. Make sure to fully rotate your trunk to get the best deception.

16. Carbonex_21

engineer
    is there a video for fh sliced drop short technic?

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you know what a brush is right? how you brush it left to right or right to left. that's a slice! at least it is for me. set up normal, and before contact, rather than pronate, brush the racquet. sort of....

18. Carbonex_21

engineer
    i brush from right to left for straight drop shot. not meant for cross drop shot. i never slice from left to right. i feel uncomfortable when doing so. from what i know, when slicing yr racket maintain to swing fwd. it is just yr racket head angle in angled.