Psychological Warfare!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by keith_aquino, Jun 1, 2006.

1. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
  2. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

well i have to confess that i will always buy really loud and different shirts not only that i think having decent shoes and racket make your opponent think that your a good and will make him/her slightly nervous (well until they realise how rubbish i am)

slightly off topic i feel that it is important to go out to any badminton match in the frame of mind that yes i can win because if you go out there already beaten chances are you be beaten

3. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    My opinion: Perhaps red will provide a slight advantage for about equal skills and experience. But I am not convince yet. :D I really like to see more experiment done for a weaker team wearing red and see how they progress - see whether they will win more or not.

Cheers. :)

4. olle_whitehead

i do believe that any advantage of shirt colour will only last the first 5 points or so after that it down to skills and stamina

5. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Many believe that Liverpool FC's great comeback in the EUFA Champions League Final 2005 was due to the fact that they had red shirts on. They were 3 - 0 behind at half time and went on to win in a penalty shoot-out :D. I read an article in a magazine which suggested that Liverpool's red football kit gave the impression of anger, hunger and determination and once Liverpool had scored their first goal, the Colour of the kit played a role in intimidating the opposition A.C. Milan who conceded 3 goals in 7 minutes.

I realise this has nothing to do with badminton but I'm guessing the phsychology is relevant in all sports. :)

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Iread a theory once that we see red better in our peripheral vision. In football this equates to an advantage because you have more chance of spotting a member of your team if they are wearing red. In general succesful teams in England wear red (Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U). The exception is, of course, Chelsea but they bought the title and so it doesn't count!

In Badminton it ought to be a disadvatage as it will be easier for your opponenent to see you in his peripheral vision when smashing etc if you are wearing red. If this is true, we all need to be wearing beige tops and shorts so we blend in with the walls (all sports centres have beige walls don't they?)

7. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    WELL SAID CROSSCOURT...VERY TRUE! :)

8. olle_whitehead

sorry off topic but.... our sports hall (which is only used for badminton) has dark green courts and has light green walls

slightly back on topic i tend to find that i dont notice anyone while i'm in the heat of the rally normally. i have found that people always go in certain areas so i simply place the shuttle somewhere different

so far its working fairly well

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    Well if like the pros you play on mats, maybe blue or green tops would be the best?

Also a white and strings will make it harder for the shuttle to be seen as clearly when you are serving, and in general hitting :cool:

10. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Another fact I've read. The color "red" can also make you hungry. Maybe that's why many restaurants use red! :rolleyes: It also subconciously might make it more probable for you to follow a guy in a red shirt's orders. Maybe that's why, I think, some Chinese associate this with good luck.

Blue on the other hand, has the opposite effect. It can help suppress the appetite. Workers are also more productive in blue colored rooms.

It might not really be useful in badminton, but it certainly is interesting! :)

11. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    Cuz maybe red is the colour of heat...and people maybe tend to think that youre a hot player..
    Well..I think that Strong Colours could give u the advantage comparing with dull colours..